Seeking a mentor to work some magic

• Thread starter livindadream
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
livindadream

livindadream

Hi all. I have produced three years of poor crops using a 'let's try it this way' method and hope this idea of posting here will ultimately produce success. (I do better on outdoor growing but that's seasonal.) I have a 3.6 metre square free standing off the house room, elevated, wood floor, cladded outside, iron roof, hardiflex inside, four windows - one on each wall, and a door. Currently, inside I have a grow tent (standard size) set up with one 600w light, a couple of led lights, exhaust fan system and an oscillating fan. Problem 1 is temperature. I hand feed plant starting around 7am when temperature shows (average) 12 c and by evening feed around 6pm the temperature shows average 42 c. Yeah... really hot. Outside daily average temperature atm is in the mid 20's c. In summer it is warm here and in winter we have frosts. I am considering removing the grow tent and growing just in the room. Black out the windows (paint?) and use the frame of the grow tent to hold up the lights, exhaust system etc up. I also have a small hole in the floor where I removed a gas heater (gas line exit hole) that I think would be good for pumping water in and out of the room and changing my system to automatic watering. Please ask any questions about what I am currently using and any help towards a successful setup would be most gratefully received. When I purchased this place this little stand alone room off from the house sang to me as the best indoor growing place ever. I hope I can make it happen. Cheers.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
To combat heat you have two options:

1. Exhaust outside
2. Install some type of A/C or heat exchanger to keep the room sealed but get temps under control.

42C is entirely too hot. Plants won't transpire, stomata will close, they'll literally stop growing for the simple sake of trying to stay alive.

So, the easiest option would be to dump your exhaust out of the room somehow. Either sending some ducting to the floor or out of the roof or a wall to get the heat completely out of the room. Otherwise, a mini split or window install A/C unit are great options many use and work excellent, though in your location a window unit may not perform well during the winter months due to the condenser freezing up. A mini split won't have that problem.

Taking the tent down won't really offer much help as you'll still have the heat trapped in the room, so you need to address the root cause.

Last edited:
livindadream

livindadream

Thanks. Will look at a mini split. Exhaust currently going out a window sealed up expect for the exhaust tubing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom