selective polination

• Thread starter RansacktheElder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RansacktheElder

I have a fairly advanced question. I'm about to start a new little 10 plant crop of Northern Lights and Afghan and I'm wanting to selectively polinate from a male afghan to a female Northern lights. I figure I'll have one of each to do this with if I'm lucky after they bloom. I don't want the whole crop to go to seed, but I'd like to have either, quality stock for the future or the coolest thing would be to cross them and create a new strain.....I'll call it Northern Alliance! <chuckle> Any tips on how or whether to approach this?:icon_spin:

G

Guano

Start by reading Logic's thread:Breeding for Beginners
Have fun!

R

RansacktheElder

Yep.....Way out of my league! I think I'll wait about a hundred crops until I try that.

R

Reeferman

Its pretty simple , move a male to a safe spot away from the ladies flower him and collect pollen even under a floro .
Bring out your choice lady (ladies) pollinate her (them) leave em for 48 hours than spray them with water wait until the water dries and move em back into the flowering chamber .
Or take clones of the best ladies and basically do the same as far as selection selecting males is very important in simple term select the boy who fooled you into thinking he was the mega mother of your dreams .
I hope that is simple enough for you .
LOL
Reef have fun

R

RansacktheElder

Okay, I can pull that off I think. One question, how exactly do I collect the pollen (que tip?) and exactly how do I pollenate the female?(brush with que tip??) .

M

Moiorising

Simple do it yourself pollination...welcome to da jungle

Ok yah found that stinky virile hopefully fairly tight nodal length male that looked like reefermans said a sick girl basically and kinda would've disappointed ya had ya not wanted to make some sex with him......I cut everything off but the top cola on a dude theres just too much pollen round here to keep track of....When the first flowers open I put a paper envelope over then and lightly tape it shut....every twelve hours or so I thump it with my fingers ...after 2 days I change the envelope...lots of yellow herbal nut inside...you can take any leaf or flower out now and let it dry somewhere 24 hours...then freeze it in a ziplock till you ready for romance thaw and use right away dude
...ok take your bride to be about 21 day in bloom or as many hairs as you want seed under 4 weeks in and daddy nut envelope in a room of thier own with some privacy and rub her down with the yellow tooth pick...I only wait 24 hours then shower the crap out of her with water and put her back under the light....Tag it...6 weeks later voila dry it plant it grow it and smoke one for me...breeding takes patience and humility and a ton of trial and error but is by no means rocket science or out of reach for anyone who can grow a bud...
Peace

M

Moiorising

Forgot to mention I move males out my room at first sign and just keep them under window light or a flouro to mature far far away from my bloom room incase they go off...I've seen males mature at amazing rates of speed so be careful. A tiny trace of pollen can produce thousands of seeds too use a pinch or two of unbleached rice flour in the envelope and shake shake shake to break up the grains and really spread the love...Make way more seed than ya need for experiments sharing and whatever.

R

RansacktheElder

Sweet! So, let me get this straight. If I get the pollen on one node, it won't seed the whole plant, just that particular node?

M

Moiorising

If you are real careful you can just polinate a branch or two but be real sparing with the q-tip and dont be surprised if ya get a few errant beans in your other stuff even being real careful ...make certain there is very little airflow in the love making room. dont sneeze!lol
Theres thousands n thousands of pollen spores in one flower bro...good luck man.

G

Guano

Collect the pollen over time and place it into a clean vial like a film canister. I really like using a paper plate held under a group of flowers, and then gently thumping the stem. After collecting the pollen, the paper plate can be creased, held over a vial, and the sides and edges thumped until all the pollen is vibrated into the vial.

For a pollen carrier, heat about 2 or 3 teaspoons of flour in an oven to 180F for about 20 mins or in a small pot set on low heat, let it cool *thoroughly*, and mix with the pollen to dilute it. I use a ratio of about 1/4 tsp pollen to 3 tsp flour and have very successful pollination rates. Store in small containers like contact lens cases excluding as much air as possible and store in the fridge for long term storage. Remember, it only takes one male to fertilize one female ovule, and there are millions of pollen cells in a 1/4 tsp of pollen so be sure and dilute it.

Take out only enough of the pollen mixture (1/4 tsp.) to use for one session and use your finger, or a small artist brush (my preferred method) to pollinate a few of the lower branches which have fresh, white pistils. Do not contaminate the main pollen source with a resinous, sticky artist's brush! Clean the brush's bristles with Isopropyl alcohol after each session and let the bristles dry thoroughly before using it again. I hit the chosen receptor branches 3 times on a weekly basis to insure a good supply of seeds.

*Label* the pollinated branches, and harvest your seeds in 3 to 6 weeks. I just cure the seeded branches with the rest of the crop, and tear apart the seeded buds with my fingers. You'll find the seeds close to the stem. Store the seeds in the fridge or freezer, labeled of course, with a little dessicant like heat treated rice for long term storage.

U

USMCtanker

good info, i to hope in the next cpl years to do this as well.

R

RansacktheElder

ahhhh, Now I believe I can pull that off. Thank you Guano!

F

frenchfarmer

collect the pollen in a bag like this bags, u can flowering the male under fluo in a closet room, put a mirror under the male for seing the pollen fall from the plant.
Take ur female out of the room and put the bag with pollen over the female. Shake the bag.
Do this when ur plant start flowering and show fresh white pistils.
U can harvest the seeds when they fall by themself.
U don't need a lot of pollen for making seeds.( it depends on what u want, sure...)

R

RansacktheElder

Thanks to all for the advice and tips. This is definately something that I'm going to attempt. I understand how the males drop the pollen from past experience, so I should be able to gather it, after seperating them asap from flowering. I figure I can keep a male alive long enough with a single 70w hps right? If so, this thing is in the bag. I might also be able to spare my t5 sunblaster (single). I was hoping to rig a mother cabinet using it though. I dream and plan BIG!!(chuckle)

Top Bottom