Seriously, a male hermaphrodite? So what will seeds be?

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

Hello all,
I'm new to thc farmer, but not to gardening. That said, I'm on the forum here because I came across something new today. I am doing a little seed crop of Finnish Frost from 7 east genetics. I popped 6 seeds and got 3 males and 3 females. All is good so far. I removed 2 of the males and have waited for the chosen one to open his flowers to pollinate the girls. Friday I noticed pollen on a couple of the leaves of the male and decided to leave it until today before I pulled it. Today, as I was inspecting it and getting ready to collect and store some of the pollen for later, I noticed long, white pistils in the tops of the male flower clusters. WHAT??? I've had my fair share of female hermies, yellow banana's and even the occasional full male flower on a flowering female under stress, but I never saw or even heard of a male going hermie. So, that's why I'm here. Chopped it down, but now I'm curious about any seeds. Can anyone tell me A: will I get seeds from the females it was with, B: if I get seeds, will they be regular, feminized or malized (new word?) seeds?

Here is a picture I snapped before I cut down the plant. You can clearly see the pistils on the flower:
Seriously a male hermaphrodite so what will seeds be

P

Pike

I found a he/she in a line I been working for sometime, was a nice looking male and started pushing hairs out of the male clusters. Had read that these may have some value in making seed. I’m always up to see for myself, so I used him, the seed were F8, made F9. Resulting population was entirely different in growth and bud structure, much more sativa dom, and nanners on just about every plant. ended up with nice large colas of hay. Every plant, and the seed had the normal 50% m/f ratio.

growsince79

growsince79

Hello all,
I'm new to thc farmer, but not to gardening. That said, I'm on the forum here because I came across something new today. I am doing a little seed crop of Finnish Frost from 7 east genetics. I popped 6 seeds and got 3 males and 3 females. All is good so far. I removed 2 of the males and have waited for the chosen one to open his flowers to pollinate the girls. Friday I noticed pollen on a couple of the leaves of the male and decided to leave it until today before I pulled it. Today, as I was inspecting it and getting ready to collect and store some of the pollen for later, I noticed long, white pistils in the tops of the male flower clusters. WHAT??? I've had my fair share of female hermies, yellow banana's and even the occasional full male flower on a flowering female under stress, but I never saw or even heard of a male going hermie. So, that's why I'm here. Chopped it down, but now I'm curious about any seeds. Can anyone tell me A: will I get seeds from the females it was with, B: if I get seeds, will they be regular, feminized or malized (new word?) seeds?

Here is a picture I snapped before I cut down the plant. You can clearly see the pistils on the flower: View attachment 1204803
Been there-done that. Seed were regular.

I

IamN2pot

Thanks for the personal experience responses. That is just the kind of info I was hoping for. So I won't be popping any of the seeds from this crop, but those seeds will make a good 'food' crop, LOL! The finch's and wild bird population in my back yard will love them.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Hello all,

Here is a picture I snapped before I cut down the plant. You can clearly see the pistils on the flower: View attachment 1204803
They will be garbage,nuke them.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Happens quite often and makes reg seeds. I've grown several from the pollen and no herms. Not garbage.
Cannabis is dioecious ,it's a mutation,it's pointless to breed with it,it won't help better the plant,there's no point when you can use stable plants and avoid all of it. Justify it how you like but it's garbage. No offence intended. Hemp you can have hermies but not marijuana . Pick the best ,cull the rest.

growsince79

growsince79

Cannabis is dioecious ,it's a mutation,it's pointless to breed with it,it won't help better the plant,there's no point when you can use stable plants and avoid all of it. Justify it how you like but it's garbage. No offence intended. Hemp you can have hermies but not marijuana . Pick the best ,cull the rest.
Ever hear of DJ Short?

A Good Kind of Cannabis Hermaphrodite (Say What?)

Thinking about hermies, in linear terms, what you have are female plants, that TEND to use hermie (male) flowers to pollinate themselves, to survive, to succeed, to breed, ya follow? Female to Male, in that order. Now true hermaphrodites in cannabis are worthless and I kill them on sight, but there are many kinds of cannabis hermaphrodites, indeed. One of these is a male, with latent female tendencies. A male, that TENDS to use female pistils to pollinate itself, in that order. Why is this cool? Read on

I call these males “Anti-Hermies” and as breeders, that’s exactly what they are. They absolutely counter the TENDENCY to go from female to male hermies, because they are male hermies that TEND to go from male to female—a genetic counterpoint, if you will. Another bonus of these Anti-Hermie males is that they also always breed heavy resin production, and usually larger yields. They will also normally cause the offspring generation to favor female ratios, to males, like 90/10 female/male. These males can also have some trichomes with resin heads.

See Also Clockwork Walker Go Boom
Culture, Featured, The Rev
MILF Rev’s Rave: Clockwork Walker

Road Rules Spotting Anti-Hermie Cannabis Hermaphrodites

You must be very careful identifying them, here are the important “rules” to properly select one of these awesome male breeders…

• The male must be all male, with zero female pistils showing up, until after 3 weeks into flowering. In that order. The male should actually be throwing pollen for at least a few days before any female pistils show up.
  • When the male does show some female pistils, they should be few and far between, not massive pistils all of a sudden. 20% pistils to 80% male flowers is a good benchmark here, and even 30% pistils can often work fine.

IMG 20201224 082304940

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021

Quote Reply

Reactions: FuriousStyles, PK1, MyGrowYo and 2 others

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Thinking about hermies, in linear terms, what you have are female plants, that TEND to use hermie (male) flowers to pollinate themselves, to survive, to succeed, to breed, ya follow? Female to Male, in that order. Now true hermaphrodites in cannabis are worthless and I kill them on sight, but there are many kinds of cannabis hermaphrodites, indeed. One of these is a male, with latent female tendencies. A male, that TENDS to use female pistils to pollinate itself, in that order. Why is this cool? Read on

I call these males “Anti-Hermies” and as breeders, that’s exactly what they are. They absolutely counter the TENDENCY to go from female to male hermies, because they are male hermies that TEND to go from male to female—a genetic counterpoint, if you will. Another bonus of these Anti-Hermie males is that they also always breed heavy resin production, and usually larger yields. They will also normally cause the offspring generation to favor female ratios, to males, like 90/10 female/male. These males can also have some trichomes with resin heads.

You must be very careful identifying them, here are the important “rules” to properly select one of these awesome male breeders…

• The male must be all male, with zero female pistils showing up, until after 3 weeks into flowering. In that order. The male should actually be throwing pollen for at least a few days before any female pistils show up.
  • When the male does show some female pistils, they should be few and far between, not massive pistils all of a sudden. 20% pistils to 80% male flowers is a good benchmark here, and even 30% pistils can often work fine.

IMG 20201224 082304940

Quote Reply

• So that's it then cause
Reactions: FuriousStyles, PK1, MyGrowYo and 2 ot
Ever hear of DJ Short?

IMG 20201224 082304940

Quote Reply

Reactions: FuriousStyles, PK1, MyGrowYo and 2 others
Yeah I've heard of DJ Short his plants hermy all the time. I shouldn't say all the time but many people myself included ahve bought his seeds and got hermies

Bullybeans420

Bullybeans420

Hello all,

Its common it has happened to me a handful of times i guess its just a recesive gene that just so happen to be in that lil bean if you pop alot of seeds youll see its common just like animals even humans to come out with both sexes ..

growsince79

growsince79

Quote. Yeah I've heard of DJ Short his plants hermy all the time. I shouldn't say all the time but many people myself included ahve bought his seeds and got hermies

@Buzzzz How many times have you used male herms for breeding?

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
just need to correct this...it's not a mutation. Cannabis is a Self Compatible plant, you can't remove the hermie trait. ever hear of feminized plants going hermie? you can only reduce it's tendency to express, i.e. stresses. I have seen one male go full hermie, boy was it a sight. didn't use it, just killed it. Then there is this stuff..
Florida Strawberries male/female
Screenshot 59

same male clone in reveg, showing female calyx's
20220223 143157 copy 576x1024

should i discard this male? absolutely not, nothing stressed it during it's regular life cycle, so it's stable. Just trying to survive in reveg cuz it thinks it's gonna die.

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Quote. Yeah I've heard of DJ Short his plants hermy all the time. I shouldn't say all the time but many people myself included ahve bought his seeds and got hermies

@Buzzzz How many times have you used male herms for breeding?
Never I wouldn't consider it,theres too many stable plants to work with

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

just need to correct this...it's not a mutation. Cannabis is a Self Compatible plant, you can't remove the hermie trait. ever hear of feminized plants going hermie? you can only reduce it's tendency to express, i.e. stresses. I have seen one male go full hermie, boy was it a sight. didn't use it, just killed it. Then there is this stuff..
View attachment 1238361
View attachment 1238359
should i discard this male? absolutely not, nothing stressed it during it's regular life cycle, so it's stable. Just trying to survive in reveg cuz it thinks it's gonna die.
View attachment 1238361
View attachment 1238359
Why keep it? What's so great about it? Does it kick your ass when you smoke it that much ? Why pick it?Is it that good that you have used it on female after female and it improved them by growing out offspring? . Hermies can be bred out btw. Since cannabis is dioecious then actually it's not normal.If you don't use them they tend to not occur over time. Otherwise every plant would be hermie. You can force them to go hermie but I refer to normal conditions. No successful breeder uses them,email a few top notch breeders and find out if they want them in their garden. Breeding isn't just letting them pollinate because you want to make a point,it also involves a lot of luck.

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
Why keep it? What's so great about it? Does it kick your ass when you smoke it that much ? Why pick it?Is it that good that you have used it on female after female and it improved them by growing out offspring? . Hermies can be bred out btw. Since cannabis is dioecious then actually it's not normal.If you don't use them they tend to not occur over time. Otherwise every plant would be hermie. You can force them to go hermie but I refer to normal conditions. No successful breeder uses them,email a few top notch breeders and find out if they want them in their garden. Breeding isn't just letting them pollinate because you want to make a point,it also involves a lot of luck.
this is why i left RIU....just constantly getting attacked. I fixed your error for others, gave you real world, first hand knowledge...and then what do you do? go on the offensive with me...sigh...i honestly don't know why i try.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

this is why i left RIU....just constantly getting attacked. I fixed your error for others, gave you real world, first hand knowledge...and then what do you do? go on the offensive with me...sigh...i honestly don't know why i try.
You're just soft, there was no offense intended and i actually said it twice in previous replies,you make it so. I don't care what you grow or use ,I'm just saying using hermies to breed is nonsense and ethical breeders would agree because they will come back,just like no real dog breeder would use a mono orchid but some still do.

growsince79

growsince79

You're just soft, there was no offense intended and i actually said it twice in previous replies,you make it so. I don't care what you grow or use ,I'm just saying using hermies to breed is nonsense and ethical breeders would agree because they will come back,just like no real dog breeder would use a mono orchid but some still do.
I'm pretty sure DJ has created more award winning strains than you. I have used male herms with excellent success. The seeds will be regular M F.

Top Bottom