Seriously, a male hermaphrodite? So what will seeds be?

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

So far no herms 4 females and 2 males. That DJ Short guy sure seems to know what he's doing.
Great are you done? Should i post endless links to people who get hermies from blueberry? I think theres one right now on this board.

growsince79

growsince79

Great are you done? Should i post endless links to people who get hermies from blueberry? I think theres one right now on this board.
IME anything with thai genetics has a higher than normal tendency to herm. If no one never used strains that herm, none of the strains we have today would even exist. I can't wait to try my blueberry seeds.

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
Once I signed up to ICMag to read up a little on DJ Short after an associate presented a (back then) fantastic tale about why his plant (from a DJ grapefruit line) flowered early under long photoperiod: apparently when the tip of the root hits the bottom of the pot, the plant will flower...

Reading up on the origin of this bizarre physiological trait did uncover that DJ - an academical person - seems to use his knowledge and status to errect "defensive myths". His critics, among them scientists like BetaTestTeam get viciously attacked by a group of hardcore DJ followers only throwing insult on insult. Up to the point of people have to leave the forums, which is a loss for all.

Later, I learned that DJ thoughts aren't completely made-up, but stem from Darwin's "root brain" hypothesis, and indeed, plants can show a quasi-intelligent behaviour in the way they distribute roots around the medium/soil.
Even more, the long-time elusive 'florigen' bloom-initiating hormone has a precursor steming from the root meristem.

But I still believe the intermingling of ruderalis & photoperiodic genetics, or plants having various photoperiods in their original habitate may create novel and unwanted responses if not controlled & rigorously outselected in further generations.

Same for hermies, the matter at hand isn't as transparent as it seems because of the way how hormones can influence sex expression (with all kinds of stresses influencing internal hormones) and the existance of retrotransposoons in cannabis genes giving also rise to chaotic epigenetic development with potentially any additional node/meristem grown.

Peace

rasterman

rasterman

Just about everyone says kill herms, and it's normally good advice. But what else is lost when intersex traits are bred out? Every time you make a selection, you reduce downstream diversity. When you choose to breed with a specific pheno or a group of specimens expressing that pheno, you lose all genetics not contained in the specimen set chosen for breeding. So I find myself wondering, once a landrace strain is stabilized, if there are wonderful possibilities we are unaware of that have been lost permanently to that line.

I'm currently growing an unworked Laos landrace (Namkading) and all of the males in my grow had pistils. So it seems pretty clear that indigenously, this strain is normally consumed with seeds. Granted, you couldn't grow commercial weed using this strain because very few people would buy it. But maybe such strains contain fire unicorns that always herm. And if you stabilize the strain, those fire unicorns are gone.

Just something to think about...

fromogtothis

fromogtothis

Its common it has happened to me a handful of times i guess its just a recesive gene that just so happen to be in that lil bean if you pop alot of seeds youll see its common just like animals even humans to come out with both sexes ..
I have to agree it's somewhat common. I've seen it in photo and auto males. All stable lines past f6 and non fem.

fromogtothis

fromogtothis

Once I signed up to ICMag to read up a little on DJ Short after an associate presented a (back then) fantastic tale about why his plant (from a DJ grapefruit line) flowered early under long photoperiod: apparently when the tip of the root hits the bottom of the pot, the plant will flower...

Reading up on the origin of this bizarre physiological trait did uncover that DJ - an academical person - seems to use his knowledge and status to errect "defensive myths". His critics, among them scientists like BetaTestTeam get viciously attacked by a group of hardcore DJ followers only throwing insult on insult. Up to the point of people have to leave the forums, which is a loss for all.

Later, I learned that DJ thoughts aren't completely made-up, but stem from Darwin's "root brain" hypothesis, and indeed, plants can show a quasi-intelligent behaviour in the way they distribute roots around the medium/soil.
Even more, the long-time elusive 'florigen' bloom-initiating hormone has a precursor steming from the root meristem.

But I still believe the intermingling of ruderalis & photoperiodic genetics, or plants having various photoperiods in their original habitate may create novel and unwanted responses if not controlled & rigorously outselected in further generations.

Same for hermies, the matter at hand isn't as transparent as it seems because of the way how hormones can influence sex expression (with all kinds of stresses influencing internal hormones) and the existance of retrotransposoons in cannabis genes giving also rise to chaotic epigenetic development with potentially any additional node/meristem grown.

Peace
Dj short is a somewhat unusual man, however he knows his shit when it comes to breeding. I've met him several times, and one thing I can say is his legend precedes him. He lost his prized blueberry pheno, so my friend gave him his prized bb pheno, and he said it was better than his. Now his blueberry line is very stable, so imagine the variable of phenotypes from two polyhybrids or more as f3 or 4's that all these seed banks are selling. It's pollen chucking in steroids. Sorry what were we talking about haha

Avalonian

Avalonian

IMG 2635

Just to say that back in the days, it was pretty much rare. It's no longer the case. Herms are useless for me, so i hunt them and i cull them industrially.
Like i've always done it while it was a normal habit. And not even polemic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom