Setting up a 4 x 8 grow tent

• Thread starter alexs48088
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
alexs48088

alexs48088

Im going to be attempting to grow for the very first time and Im trying to gather a list of all the things im going to need for the initial setup. I would say my price range is about $2000 give or take.. I wanted to go with a 4 x 8 Gorilla Shorty, I always heard Gorilla brand was one of the best in the industry (Tell me if im wrong).

Shorty 4x8 Grow Tent - Short Grow Tent | Gorilla Grow Tent

My buddy who has grow experience suggested 1000 watt HPS bulbs for flowering and im currently trying to find which ballast to go with. I was thinking about this one,

Gorilla DE PRO SERIES Commercial Grow Light | HPS/CMH Compatible (gorillagrowtent.com)

Im seeing different things online as far as how much wattage I need for my space. Will I be able to use one ballast with a 1000w bulb or will I need 2 seperate ones to cover 32 square feet.

Please give me any reccomendation as far as specific specs I will need to keep in mind for my 4 x 8 tent, along with any other products you guys can suggest for me as far as carbon filter, ph tester, etc.

Any help would be great.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If you want the whole space filled you could use 2 lights, maybe 600's since 2 1000's would be alot for that tent. Air cooled would be good too, since you need a fan and filter anyways for your tent, connect it through the lights so you exchange the air in the tent and cool the lights at the same time. You could also go with LED's, you would still need to exhaust with a fan and filter, but they do cost alot more upfront for good quality lights. So if the price range is $2000 total, I would go with 2 600s air cooled for now.

As far as other equipment, you can get most of what you need from Amazon instead of paying double the price at the hydro store for someone to middle man you. Except for soil, if you use soil it would be more expensive online because of shipping costs. If something has a motor like a fan, try not to go with the cheapest one. AC Infinity has good products, and you could probably go with a cheaper tent so you can have higher quality lights and fans, just a thought. Good luck bro!

Anthem

Anthem

Im going to be attempting to grow for the very first time and Im trying to gather a list of all the things im going to need for the initial setup. I would say my price range is about $2000 give or take.. I wanted to go with a 4 x 8 Gorilla Shorty, I always heard Gorilla brand was one of the best in the industry (Tell me if im wrong).

Shorty 4x8 Grow Tent - Short Grow Tent | Gorilla Grow Tent

My buddy who has grow experience suggested 1000 watt HPS bulbs for flowering and im currently trying to find which ballast to go with. I was thinking about this one,

Gorilla DE PRO SERIES Commercial Grow Light | HPS/CMH Compatible (gorillagrowtent.com)

Im seeing different things online as far as how much wattage I need for my space. Will I be able to use one ballast with a 1000w bulb or will I need 2 seperate ones to cover 32 square feet.

Please give me any reccomendation as far as specific specs I will need to keep in mind for my 4 x 8 tent, along with any other products you guys can suggest for me as far as carbon filter, ph tester, etc.

Any help would be great.
If you have 8' in height do not go with the shorty, The standards come with an 11 inch extension so you be at 7'11". If your budget is 2k I would go with some 240 watt led boards, HLG or the others if you must. HPS is going to be much more difficult to keep cool.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

See if you are gonna go hps then just go cmh 4k or 5k. And blow the tent up with light. Personally id rather use LED because you will have to put a AC in that tent with 2 or 3 hps.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I used 2 600s in an adjustawing hood with no exhaust or ac and temps never went above 82F back in 2012. So I disagree about HPS being too difficult to cool or needing an ac in the tent because its air cooled 600s. I think LEDs would be easier and less hassle, but with a 2000 dollar budget, he already is gonna spend 25% just on a tent itself, the LEDs would be atleast 1000 dollars. He could use smaller LEDs but the quantity will suffer. No point in using 2 240w LED in a 4x8 tent, its a waste of space. I would use 3 of them, but again, that would be alot of money for 3 LEDs.

There is no way around it. Either deal with the extra heat from HPS, which is solved with 1 8 inch exhaust fan cooling the 2 600w hoods and the tent at the same time, or buy 2 450w LEDs and go over budget. I would not use more than 2 600 HPS (cooling would be more difficult) and I would not use less than 2 450w LED (because yield will suffer).

So both HPS or LED would work but you will have to compromise on something.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

My 240 watt kingbrite board was only $185 straight from china. Can buy alot of those with $1000.

Those are one of the cheapest LEDs and you would need 4 of those to adequately cover 4x8 ft tent, so thats almost $1000. But 2 HPS would be $275. I have nothing against LEDs, but he specifically mentioned a $2000 budget and using a 4x8 tent. I still dont see how using almost half the money for cheap LEDs is justified compared to cheap HPS for 1/4 the price. Then he could upgrade to high quality LEDs after 2-3 harvests.

Bbonez

Bbonez

My 240 watt kingbrite board was only $185 straight from china.

I ordered one of those today came out to a total of $168.45. I got a good deal on a blackdog PhytoMAX-2 600 and think I'll need just a little more for my 5x9 veg tent, hopefully the kingbrite will be adequate.

20210331 173338

Bbonez

Bbonez

Is it stolen?? That is a $1600 light that you got for $170.

No I paid about $800 for the blackdog, I paid $168.45 for the kingbrite 240W I'm going to use as a supplement to the blackdog.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

I ordered one of those today came out to a total of $168.45. I got a good deal on a blackdog PhytoMAX-2 600 and think I'll need just a little more for my 5x9 veg tent, hopefully the kingbrite will be adequate.

View attachment 1108777

Price has came down wow! Im new to LED but I think youll be impressed with what you get. Mine has been going for 3 months now, im turned up to 55% now. Im impressed so far

Latest posts

Top Bottom