sevin granular : killer of beneficials?

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Burned Haze

well I have ants in my OD garden, I looked for solutions at Lowe’s and few places. when I looked at “ Sevin granular” it states garden and when you look at manual majority of veggies are allowed ( + the main substance in Sevin allowed in my states pesticides list at that level of % it had 50% less ) Only thing that puts me to question : will it hurt/kill beneficial bacteria and fungi if you apply this product to your medium directly ? Well I called the manufacture And when the rep/person who I was talking to said she didn’t know and it wasn’t stated in the manual, I asked her to talk to higher up/management and ask them “ does Sevin granular kill beneficial / fungi when applied to your growing medium?” And I gave her my name and phone number, she called me back and told me “ at this time we have not done any testing on Sevin killing beneficial Bacteria “ so I asked a solution ? She said “ call and ask the beneficial bactiera if it will kill or I should use it”

Damn you would think since it’s for gardening can beneficial safe a circle of life, this would be a FAQ..... it’s sad they don’t know this answer

right now what I have been doing is applying the Sevin around the borders of the plant ( like a circle ring ), the company wouldn’t recommend or tell me anything but apply it like grass .....

the substances in seven are accepted in my state for pesticides , but my main concern besides my safety is my beneficial I’m paying extra for ( not willing to do that menthol if it does, I’m a beneficial bactieral/fungi guy )

Last edited by a moderator:
TerriR

TerriR

well I have ants in my OD garden, I looked for solutions at Lowe’s and few places. when I looked at “ Sevin granular” it states garden and when you look at manual majority of veggies are allowed ( + the main substance in Sevin allowed in my states pesticides list at that level of % it had 50% less ) Only thing that puts me to question : will it hurt/kill beneficial bacteria and fungi if you apply this product to your medium directly ? Well I called the manufacture And when the rep/person who I was talking to said she didn’t know and it wasn’t stated in the manual, I asked her to talk to higher up/management and ask them “ does Sevin granular kill beneficial / fungi when applied to your growing medium?” And I gave her my name and phone number, she called me back and told me “ at this time we have not done any testing on Sevin killing beneficial Bacteria “ so I asked a solution ? She said “ call and ask the beneficial bactiera if it will kill or I should use it”

Damn you would think since it’s for gardening can beneficial safe a circle of life, this would be a FAQ..... it’s sad they don’t know this answer

right now what I have been doing is applying the Sevin around the borders of the plant ( like a circle ring ), the company wouldn’t recommend or tell me anything but apply it like grass .....

the substances in seven are accepted in my state for pesticides , but my main concern besides my safety is my beneficial I’m paying extra for ( not willing to do that menthol if it does, I’m a beneficial bactieral/fungi guy )
I would try DE first. I don’t want to be smoking Sevin.

az2000

az2000

I had ants in my backyard. The little "bait" things didn't do anything. I found Amdro (uses Hydramethylnon) granules. The ants carry the granules back to the colony, and poison the queen with it. (It's a slow-acting poison which affects their metabolism.). If you used an insecticide like Sevin, it would kill them on contact. But, the colony would remain, cranking out more worker ants. You gotta get them to carry the poison back to colony.

It works for me. Takes a couple weeks. Ants disappear. You don't have to put it near your plants. It just has to be in the path of the ants.

B

Burned Haze

But when I’m applying their granular version , it’s only on the ground . it says it’s non-systemic so my question is about will it harm the benefials
I had ants in my backyard. The little "bait" things didn't do anything. I found Amdro (uses Hydramethylnon) granules. The ants carry the granules back to the colony, and poison the queen with it. (It's a slow-acting poison which affects their metabolism.). If you used an insecticide like Sevin, it would kill them on contact. But, the colony would remain, cranking out more worker ants. You gotta get them to carry the poison back to colony.

It works for me. Takes a couple weeks. Ants disappear. You don't have to put it near your plants. It just has to be in the path of the ants.

I was thinking about just returning the other bags of sevin and get bulk cinnamon and attack em with that

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just a caution.

Make sure there are no aphids. Ants farm aphids for their sweet honey like excretion.

B

Burned Haze

Just a caution.

Make sure there are no aphids. Ants farm aphids for their sweet honey like excretion.

I did have mid-heavy aphids population a month ago (thanks for tip none the less!) , I’ve been battling them only 3 plants and still haven’t seen any aphids on any of my other plants, just some of my leafy plants got em and I’m still every 2-4 days spraying ( grandevo + botanigard 22 wp, than rotate pyganic 5.0, than rotate azaguard , than rotate venerate xc ) my results when my aphids were mid harsh stage population are now , gone and sometimes like 1/100 leafs you’ll find a flier or a dead one ( way better than before when it was a orgy on the stem )

Now I’m in starting staging of bloom I can only use certain things like venerate xc and botanigard 22 wp ( minus the grandevo ) and rotate every 3-7 days with regalia for fungicide defense ( last weeks I will do just that if I don’t see any bugs )

B

Burned Haze

Can't you Just add more microbes?

Yes I can add more microbes, I add different species/brands and fungi through tea’s ( every 7 days ) and when I transplant . So it would be very counter active to have something that kills them from the get go when I apply it if that any killer last 2-3 months and I apply microbe teas ( separate from fertilizers , just microbes and things to feed em ) every 5-7 days ?

TerriR

TerriR

Yes I can add more microbes, I add different species/brands and fungi through tea’s ( every 7 days ) and when I transplant . So it would be very counter active to have something that kills them from the get go when I apply it if that any killer last 2-3 months and I apply microbe teas ( separate from fertilizers , just microbes and things to feed em ) every 5-7 days ?

——-

No one still hasn’t answered, does Sevin kill microbes if you even add it directly to your medium ( the maker didn’t test and didn’t know )?
it affects nitrogen fixing bacteria. http://www.healthyworld.org/sevin.html

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I did have mid-heavy aphids population a month ago (thanks for tip none the less!) , I’ve been battling them only 3 plants and still haven’t seen any aphids on any of my other plants, just some of my leafy plants got em and I’m still every 2-4 days spraying ( grandevo + botanigard 22 wp, than rotate pyganic 5.0, than rotate azaguard , than rotate venerate xc ) my results when my aphids were mid harsh stage population are now , gone and sometimes like 1/100 leafs you’ll find a flier or a dead one ( way better than before when it was a orgy on the stem )

Now I’m in starting staging of bloom I can only use certain things like venerate xc and botanigard 22 wp ( minus the grandevo ) and rotate every 3-7 days with regalia for fungicide defense ( last weeks I will do just that if I don’t see any bugs )

Man you work hard. You handle all that alone?

TerriR

TerriR

dude, that’s some scorched earth shit. it’s a neurotoxin...I would not use that...and you know I’m not shy about spraying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom