sexing plant at early veg state

• Thread starter say_high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

say_high

i have a question for the guru growers..i got my hands on a couple of purple widow seeds and i searched youtube on how to germanate them. germanated 3 and all 3 sprouted. they are 2 weeks old now and is 12 inch tall w/ 9 finger leaves on ever node and i jus topped all 3 plants this morning.. my question is......if i sex the entire plant now to see wut gender it is and let it go back to veg state, would that be good for the plant? i jus dont want to waste my time and effort if they gonna turn out to be a male lol. any help would be appriciated, thanx for reading

jaredman

jaredman

if you topped your plant it will show pre flowers in like 2 weeks more. you don't have to change the light cycle or anything just keep a close eye right at the top where the two tops come out is where it will most likely show male or hopefully female preflowers.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
they ususally show the preflowers anywere from a month to 8 weeks at the 5th-7th node. but if you topped them before you seen it, it will take a little bit longer to show. they will show sex under 24 hours of light. females will have a tear drop with 2 white hairs coming out of it. just for all around rate of growth in the future do not top seedlings until they are a little older. not only will the show sex quicker but they will grow faster as well.

S

say_high

their on the 4th node, i chopped the 5th and its been a lil over 2 weeks since germinate. all the same size was at a foot wen topped. someone got my camera or else i woulda snapped a few pics of them. anyone have any info on this strain? ive searched but couldn't find anything (again this is my first ever). thanx for the info guys it helped alot, and those tips will go a long way. someone was probably wondering the same thing hahaha..

S

say_high

is it good to top off a plant that just pre-flowered? found out no more then a week ago.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
once you know the sex no harm will come if you top it. some plants respond better to being topped then others tho.

C

carper

a little trick is take a side cutting or your case
take the top cutting put it in a glass of water and put the lights on 8hrs total darkness 16hrs
it will show sex and ha presto

S

say_high

HELLS TO THE MUTHA-LOVIN EFFER. 2 jus showed signs of female this morning. the other i want to say is a female but dont want speak too soon yet. it looks like a pair of pistiles on top but is hella small, less then a 1/16. should be able to tell in one or 2 days..im going to go out and start the LST on them....sorry but im jus excited..

S

say_high

before i topped the plants, they were standing 12in (didnt measure after). they are now 2 inches taller and the 2 heads that are comming out has 12 finger purple leaves?? anyways, has anyone expierenced a topped outdoor grow and at the same time do lst?? does that make any sense? the only lst grow i see/read are indoors, some outdoor but not topped and lst. really thinking about trying it out..

S

say_high

the third is not wanting to show sign of sex...starting to look like a male though..cant say for sure yet..has anyone heard of purple widow x with gdp? my gdp is still in veg but will be flowering not too long from now and if one of my PW is a male i would like to try and make some seeds on 1-2 branches on the gdp. grand daddy purple widow??

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
the third is not wanting to show sign of sex...starting to look like a male though..cant say for sure yet..has anyone heard of purple widow x with gdp? my gdp is still in veg but will be flowering not too long from now and if one of my PW is a male i would like to try and make some seeds on 1-2 branches on the gdp. grand daddy purple widow??

sounds like a fun cross. if they are planted next to each other you got to be right on top of it or the pollen will seed up the whole plant. what you could do is get a clear large plastic bag to put over the male when you know its about to open its flowers. cut off alot of the excess branches to help you keep any rogue pollen in check. you only need a branch or 2. this will give you enough pollen to make your cross(150-200 seeds easy in one decent size bud). once you collect your pollen cut the male plant down and tie up the bag around it. then take a q tip or paint brush rub it in the pollen, then rub it on the pistils of your lower buds. do this for about 2-3 days in a row and you will see seeds forming. you can store your pollen in a zip lock bag in the fridge for the 2-3 days. make sure to tie a string around the branches of the bud you pollinate so you can find the bud easy at the end of the year to deseed.

S

say_high

thanx for the tip. im still hoping the PW is a female though hahahaha. but if it turns out a male, thats fine too. anyone heard/done the cross between gdp and purple widow? the purplw in the PW is purple #1..never ever tried it before so dont know how it looks/tastes..

S

say_high

turned out to be a male....you already know wut im gonna be doing..

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
goodluck sounds fun. nothing better then having your own cross.

S

say_high

i have 2 male plants to choose from, both are the same strand but plant A is more smelly and has purple leaves then plant B, but plant B grows faster then plant A. which one is better to cross with?

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
when i chose a male i look at a couple of things. most important to me is node spacing. i also look at stem thickness. then i give a stem rub make sure it smells good. how does it grow is it overall easy to grow or a pain in the ass always something wrong?

if you like them both you could just collect the pollen and mix them or you could keep them in separate storage containers and pollinate a differnt branch on the plant. tie a red string on a branch/bud with pollen A, then a blue string for branch/bud pollen B.

if you don't want to mix them after 35 days or when ever you gonna chop the plant. you can open the bud and pull the seeds out and store them separately so you have seeds from both A and B males

S

say_high

oh man...im so mad. i killed plant A and i jus found out that plant be is a female....no more cross breeding gdp and purple widow..sux major ass

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
oh well it happens look on the bright side now you will get some more bud to smoke and you kept the better plant.

Beeryee

Beeryee

i have a question for the guru growers..i got my hands on a couple of purple widow seeds and i searched youtube on how to germanate them. germanated 3 and all 3 sprouted. they are 2 weeks old now and is 12 inch tall w/ 9 finger leaves on ever node and i jus topped all 3 plants this morning.. my question is......if i sex the entire plant now to see wut gender it is and let it go back to veg state, would that be good for the plant? i jus dont want to waste my time and effort if they gonna turn out to be a male lol. any help would be appriciated, thanx for reading
Just put the tops you cut under a 12/12 light cycle. Thats how I do it.

Top Bottom