sexing UNROOTED clones

• Thread starter Steve Z
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Steve Z

hey guys.

a buddy told me i could sex em without rooting em first.

was told to just take two cuts and put in water in my flower room (in case 1 dies)

just curious if anyone else has done this, dont wanna hack up some shit uselessly, but if it can be done let me know!~

thanks

winta

winta

whats good my dude yea u can do it :) i learned it here at the farm. u can top at 3weeks or after and throw em in a cup. make sure u dont run out of water in the cup (my dumb ass did twice :giggle) and after 7-10 days in 12/12 youll know if u got a girl or a boy :)

S

Steve Z

word man thank you. just did it to a couple, hopefully i'll see somethin. saw preflowers on one but i couldnt really tell m/f.... just gonna flower out this cut and we'll see.

thanks bro! glad my next run is FEMS lol i hate wastin soil time money

winta

winta

np bro! this method has saved me time and money like a mutha!

word man thank you. just did it to a couple, hopefully i'll see somethin. saw preflowers on one but i couldnt really tell m/f.... just gonna flower out this cut and we'll see.

thanks bro! glad my next run is FEMS lol i hate wastin soil time money

G

gudkarma

+1

pics of the cloners.

pic of the (big solo) cups that hold the next round : sour d, afghan kush, jackberry.

they'll be in cups about two weeks. the cup in the back has been nearly three weeks... still green.

i change the water every three days (ish).

the first time i cup them i put a drop or two of h2o2 (3%) in the water. i keep the stems long so that i can re-cut & dip them.

next change out i use one drop of dip & grow (rooting solution) per cup.

all change outs after that get plain tap w/ one drop of my grow nute.

i keep three cups under one cfl for weeks no problem.

also, i use (and re-use) plastic zip tie collars -made into a collar- to hold the bunch bouquet style. sometimes the stems want to curl... this keeps them perfect if you need to cup them for weeks like i do.

tobor the 8th man (did i spelll that right) gave me a tip to sex them in 12/12 using a small piece of foam floating on the surface of the water in the cup with holes for a few cuts.

100 4362
100 4363
420Gator

420Gator

whats good my dude yea u can do it :) i learned it here at the farm. u can top at 3weeks or after and throw em in a cup. make sure u dont run out of water in the cup (my dumb ass did twice :giggle) and after 7-10 days in 12/12 youll know if u got a girl or a boy :)

how do the roots act compared to cloning on a veg schedule?

S

Steve Z

i doubt it'll root right, but the concern isnt the cut taken its sexing the plant its taken from. this cut could self destruct for all i care, lol.

B

biggs

been told you can take cuts put in a cup of water, in a cupboard under normal house bulb. and by the time they start showing roots they will show sex too. going to give it a try in a few weeks. and will let you know how it goes.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
When you put the cuts in water under 12/12 it has been my experience that they root much quicker than cuts you are actually trying to root and clone. They need to reveg then though. IMHO roots form faster under 12/12 for some reason.

I like sexing the cuts. You can top a seedling as soon as it is big enough say 3-4 weeks. Then in 10 days you absolutely know the sex. If you had still been waiting the seedling would now be 5-6 weeks old and still wouldn't be preflowering. It might show but you might also still be waiting at 9 weeks maybe 10 depending on strain. A guaranteed 5-6 week sex identification saves time, money and space over the long haul.

There is another way you can try too. At about 4 weeks put the seedling under 12/12 for 4 days and then back under 18/6 or whatever veg cycle you use. Many strains will show sex in 7-10 days after that. It won't slow down much and won't really have a reveg state. It probably technically still does but by the time it shows sex it has been back under 18/6 for 7-10 days and back to vegging. That is the way Northern Dude on Planet Ganja used to do it. He would start a lot of seedlings for his outdoor grows and knew what he was doing.

budboy299

budboy299

Hmmm might almost be a good way to do a long running strain of sativas.
Root them under 12/12 like this and soon as roots form...straight into coco(or whatever)

got some 12 week SSH coming I will try it with.

M

mdTHC420

hey bud,
so u are going to clone it, throw it under 12/12 let them hopefully root then continue to flower from there with no veg time? assuming 10 days from cut to roots, you still flowered them over 10% just to root them and they dont get a chance to grow any. if u do this with ssh id say good luck but dont expect any kind of yeild from any plant that is done this way.

420Gator

420Gator

I was thinking take a cut, root it in 12/12 for a week,put back into veg for a couple weeks, and then back to flower. This would help those of us who can't get roots in 3 days
maybe

M

mdTHC420

doing it in 12/12 wont knock an entire week off rooting, it just wont. when i used to use the bubble cloners with plugs i would stick them in darkness for 24 hours after being cut and that seemed to help them bounce back and stand up faster. like i said, even if ur running a 84 day finisher, the 10 or so days you put it in 12/12 will def form lil starter buds on em so i guess u would be stressing it out by starting to flower, stopping, and starting again later. this technique seems to be for sexing seed stock so you dont waste 3 months growing a male; not for rooting viable clones.

420Gator

420Gator

i understand what the method is for but maybe it can have another application. ill give it a try and ill give the 24 hour dark a try too

M

mdTHC420

def let me know. my veg room is running 24 hrs because i have my cloners running 24 so i didnt think it would help to turn off 3000 watts for them to rest while still having t5s running for clones. idea: maybe it is the darkness that helps but it doesnt need to be 12 hours of it; try rooting them on the 18/6 veg schedule so they still get rest but dont flower.

IMO it just seems like a bad plan to stress all my clones out from the get go when its easy enough to keep them from budding.

gl on the few variations and let us know which works.

420Gator

420Gator

heres something i just found in my cloner. i took 30 cuts last week . i didnt like how one looked so i tossed it and took a cut from a plant 2 weeks in flower. when i was checking just now the one i cut from the plant in flower is ahead of all the others and its only been in there 3 days vs a week for the rest

i think the accelerated growth in flower helps these babies take root faster hopefully i can find a sweet spot and have clones faster

sry steve for the threadjack

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
Very interesting thoughts here. Keep it comin

Cheers,
Crom

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

@ 420Gator

I think there might be something to this. I've always heard that you should lower Nitrogen before taking cuts as it helps them to root faster. Hence being 2 weeks into flower your nutrient regimen should at this point have lower nitrogen levels than it did when it was in veg.

My last indoor run I green cleaned at about 10 days into flower and in the process took cuttings from the cleaning. I had 100% strike rate. I have since FLAILED at taking cuts and I think the lower N levels have something to do with it.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I felt compelled to say this after reading Gator's post.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
This is true that lower N levels will help with rooting. I use Mother Plant nutes for my moms, and they claim to give ideal levels for taking cuttings, while giving a decent amount of all required nutes. Basically the theory is that using a "veg" cycle nute regimen is too high in N and isn't providing a well rounded dose of Macros/Micros.

Sorry Headband...

Cheers,
Crom

Top Bottom