Shasta Counties 'public hearing to address marijuana'

• Thread starter Qman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Q

Qman

From the Redding public meeting today:

The Redding Planning Commission will take a first stab at setting marijuana cultivation limits and zoning restrictions for medical marijuana collectives during a public hearing today.

City planners will recommend the commission limit outdoor marijuana gardens to 100 square feet for the six mature plants allowed under Prop. 215. The gardens would have to sit behind a self-closing gate in a 6-foot-tall, "non-climbable" fence, under the proposed zoning regulations.

Caregivers growing for more than one qualified medical marijuana patient may apply to the city for outdoor gardens up to 200 square feet, under the zoning city planners are proposing.

Planners also are urging the commission to adopt zoning that would forbid medical marijuana cultivation within 50 feet of a front property line, 25 feet of a side property line, 15 feet of a rear property line and within 40 feet of any neighboring home.

Jess Brewer, CEO of the Trusted Friends collective in Redding, said the proposed restrictions would effectively ban outdoor medical marijuana cultivation on the city's myriad smaller lots.

"What are you going to do with a lady who lives in the Garden Tract trying to grow one plant on her patio?" Brewer said. "She will not be in compliance."

Brewer said he did not have any problems with the fencing requirements.

The proposed regulations on outdoor cultivation are meant to be a starting point for discussion, planners said in their report to the commission.

Planners did not take a position on indoor cultivation in their report, but raised concerns about electrical fires and mold.

The commission's deliberations on marijuana cultivation come after the City Council last month imposed a 45-day moratorium on new medical marijuana collectives to allow officials time to develop regulations on dispensary operations and cultivation.

Redding hosts an estimated 20-plus medical marijuana collectives, with some observers putting the number as high as 40.

A council majority on Oct. 20 approved a set of regulations that would subject medical marijuana collectives and their records to police inspection.

The proposed regulations do not allow new collectives within 300 feet of a residential district and within 1,000 feet of a school, day care center, park or another collective.

Based on these restrictions, planners today will urge the commission to adopt zoning forbidding medical marijuana collectives in zoning districts for small office buildings and neighborhood shopping areas.

Redding's proposed medical marijuana regulations have divided the council, which deadlocked while attempting to approve them on a routine second reading during a special meeting Oct. 26.

Councilwoman Missy McArthur changed her initial yes vote to a no vote at that meeting, saying the new ordinance posed too many unanswered questions. Vice Mayor Patrick Jones has consistently voted against the new ordinance, saying it conflicts with federal law, which outlaws marijuana possession.

City Attorney Rick Duvernay has told the council that Redding and other cities may regulate medical marijuana under guidelines adopted by the state legislature in 2003.

The council is scheduled to take up the medical marijuana ordinance again Nov. 17, when Mayor Rick Bosetti is expected to be present to cast a tie-breaking vote.

Meanwhile, city planners will draw up more definite restrictions on marijuana cultivation and zoning limits on collectives for commission consideration Nov. 24. The commission is scheduled to vote on a final set of regulations Dec. 8, according to a report.

Reporter Scott Mobley can be reached at 225-8220 or at [email protected].

~Q

D

DoubleDub

thanks for the info. Im next door in butte but 200 sf sounds fairly good to me!

fractal

fractal

I lived in northern california all my life, in the bay and in humboldt. Now I am closer to redding and the people here are clueless. The next big thing that has everyone excited is the Sarah Palin speech coming up.

An 89 year old city councilman from Redding physically attacked a pro-pot man and was arrested for assault. The irony, of rage and violence coming from the religious "americuuuh" crowd.

Q

Qman

An 89 year old city councilman from Redding physically attacked a pro-pot man and was arrested for assault. The irony, of rage and violence coming from the religious "americuuuh" crowd.

Wasn't that the Red Bluff meeting? pretty sure it was.

Redding just needs to figure it out, it's like the wild west here, people are fucking taking advantage of it. We have 30+ collectives here (Shasta County)

I know Sarah Palin? who really gives a fuck $57-$87 a ticket? :sign0065: one of the stupidest things I have heard. I see people on the news all excited about it and all fucking goo goo gaa gaa over her coming

R

Rolln J

Sarah Palin is a quitter and a money grubber - I really dont see what the attraction is...

shit like this makes me lose all faith in mankind and makes me ponder how the fuck we got this far.

E

ehole

shit like this makes me lose all faith in mankind and makes me ponder how the fuck we got this far.

i think it has all gone down hill since the telephone. now one idiot can call another idiot and stupid ideas can spread like wild fire. multiply that by instant news and the internet= now

mace

mace

I can see the 6' fence requirement holding up in court, but i don't see how the law can deny patients the right to grow if they've been granted it in 215. I know zoning laws already exsist for a host of things but i just don't see how they can say they're not trying to legislate growing of medical marijuana out of the majority of their counties patients hands. The limits on how far foot wise you must go into the interior of your parcel of property are just asinine.

**edit**
It might be smart for a county local to go in and discuss with the city council the People v. Kelly ruling in district 2 and the implications of that ruling on further legal action that the county could potentially see if they try to unreasonably restrict medical growing. Im not a lawyer but that seems like a decent argument to get them thinking.

R

Rolln J

i think it has all gone down hill since the telephone. now one idiot can call another idiot and stupid ideas can spread like wild fire. multiply that by instant news and the internet= now

how about TWITTER? lol - prime example, we were just talking about this today...

fractal

fractal

I suppose the meeting was in red bluff. . .

Fence laws and distance from property lines is all avoiding the issue. Instead of grandstanding, the LEOs should make it very clear that marijuana thefts from private property are crimes and will be prosecuted. As it is, the LEOs have an unspoken rule that says they won't bust you if you are legal, but you you had better shut up about it if anyone rips you off.

R

Rolln J

here in Mayberry (where folks would be just as excited if sarah palin showed up) the cops JUMP at the chance to bust somebody for stealing your plants, at least then they get to bust somebody for pot - lol - damn barney fifes anyhow...

T

Truth Hurts

LEO here tells you to arm yourself cause it's taking em too long to get to you due to under staffing and the general nature of our area (It takes about an hour to get anywhere)

Thank you for the 2nd Amendment.

Top Bottom