shelf life of weed in mason jars

• Thread starter prop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

prop

i have 6 quart size jars , each about 3/4 full . humidity is between low 50`s to mid 60`s. how long will it last ? is it better to use a seal a meal and put it the freezer?

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I’ve had weed in a mason jar for a year burping once a month. I’m sure it could even go longer. The less air space on the jar is better

Happyreefing

Happyreefing

The longer the better in my opinion, as long as you have the right temperature with no light getting in in a nice dark cold room your golden burp them if needed after a while you shouldn’t even need to just open them and smell them once a year you would be surprised

H

hawkman

6 months easy ( I would not burp the the "long"term storage jars)( everytime you open a jar it releases trep's -- that's why you have a use jar and a stored jars) don't use Boveda or Boost packs (RH)

costanza

costanza

they say if its cured right it will last up to a year in jars, but I have never had that kind of luck my stuff usually starts losing its smell and taste around month 4 or 5. I used grove bags on my last harvest and so far they are still stinky and fresh smelling at 4 months but I've had them sitting in a wine fridge so I'm not sure if that helped also

steamroller

steamroller

My bud from almost a year ago is still getting better everyday. 🤷‍♂️
You can put jars in freezer, I do.
I also have separate use and storage jars.
I keep my jars in the boxes they came in, in the coolest room in the house before they go to freezer.

M

MasterCookie

they say if its cured right it will last up to a year in jars, but I have never had that kind of luck my stuff usually starts losing its smell and taste around month 4 or 5. I used grove bags on my last harvest and so far they are still stinky and fresh smelling at 4 months but I've had them sitting in a wine fridge so I'm not sure if that helped also
Did you put the bags into the fridge the day you put the buds in it? Reason asking I was thinking of using grove bags for curing and I was wondering if it would be possible to conduct the entire curing in the refrigerator.. bad idea?

M

MasterCookie

My bud from almost a year ago is still getting better everyday. 🤷‍♂️
You can put jars in freezer, I do.
I also have separate use and storage jars.
I keep my jars in the boxes they came in, in the coolest room in the house before they go to freezer.
Wait you can do your entire curing in a refrigerator/ freezer?

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

Anything not 100% cured before storage can run the risk of mildew. I lost one jar of African that way.

I just pulled everything left from 2018 that was stored in mason jars with vacuum pump lids that had been in a dark cabinet where temps are always 55-70F even when it's 100F+ outside. A few didnt hold their vacuum but seemed just fine at the four year mark. My freezer is so full of hash and kief that I dont keep flower frozen. I had one plant in 2018 that threw so much flower that I left it rough trimmed still on big 12" branches, packing them tightly into big tupperware containers that held 1/4lb each and were just left on a dark shelf in a spare closet. That bud actually stored better than the stuff I carefully trimmed into jars, FWIW. Hash kept cool has been known to be good for 10-20 years, ageing like a fine wine.

growsince79

growsince79

i have 6 quart size jars , each about 3/4 full . humidity is between low 50`s to mid 60`s. how long will it last ? is it better to use a seal a meal and put it the freezer?
Storing in a dark closet 72f, I start noticing a decrease in potency and terps after six months. In a year, its lost enough that I don't smoke it. My favorite budz are 2-4 months.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
wouldn't trust mason jars much past six months. at least, without additional provisioning. we recently came across a jar from three years ago we'd wrapped up as a care package for an interstate friend and never shipped it, cracked it open, and that stuff was damn fine.

for loads 2lbs or under, mason jars are fine for a heavy smoker with friends. weed will cure up decently enough with no super noticeable loss in terps over about six months. longer than that, which this is the route i'm getting ready to take, vacuum bags purged with nitrogen before sealing and vacuum. then, into a freezer. nitrogen purges forces oxygen out, which oxidization all the things (rust), then creating a vacuum captures all the things. real cold temps keeps anything from off gassing (at least anything we care about) so theoretically a 10 year old bag of nitrogen purged, vacuum sealed herb should be as good as the day of the purge.

Top Bottom