Should I add cal-mag or not ?

• Thread starter Panhead59
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Panhead59

Panhead59

Should i add cal-mag now or not ? 4 week old plants in ffhf soil. Bottom round leaves turning yellow and falling off. So that tells me plants are using up nutes in soil. So when i start feeding VERY lightly this week, should i use cal-mag from the start, and maybe always, or not ? I've read it's to balance everything out, but do u need it if nothing is out of balance. Like using it as a preventative ? Which raises another ? Should i be using anything else as preventative measures ? Tks.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't know the ingredients of Happy Frog, but my guess is that it has some Ca and Mg. I would hold off on putting any cal/mag in there. Too much Ca can create other issues.

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

I'm using happy frog and the fox farm feed for that soil says to use it starting week 3. I just bought some and will start next watering at half dose to work in.

20210530 084441
Texasbob

Texasbob

I always include cal mag to my feeding regiment. Cal mag is important for proper leaf development. Happy frog is a great soil but I do start adding nutrients in very small amounts when I see the first set of leaves form and then slowly increase my amounts.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I always include cal mag to my feeding regiment. Cal mag is important for proper leaf development. Happy frog is a great soil but I do start adding nutrients in very small amounts when I see the first set of leaves form and then slowly increase my amounts.
Doesn't it depend on your water? City water needs it where as country / well water you don't? My well water has cal/mag in its 120ppm, I was led to believe its not needed....

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
No cal mag after week 4, switch to epsom salt 1 tsp per 20 gallons will keep em green. I’d cut it out a week before you stop feeding so you can get the green out before harvest.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Tks. Guys. Hey steveystrappa- the ffhf soil that i am using has had enough nutes in it for 3-4 weeks. Well water only. I've read to go real easy with the ff nutes, especially at first. I'm gonna try about 1/3 dose to start off. They r doing so good I don't wanna mess 'em up !!!

Panhead59

Panhead59

Here's a perfect example that adds to the complexity of growing. Especially for a rookie like me. One guy says hold off and another says always use the cal-mag. I'm not sayin' one is correct over the other. Lord knows i really appreciate all the info/opinions that i can get. Guess you just gotta go slow and read the plants. After all, many variables in play here for each grower. Tks
Again everyone. Something else to ponder on and experiment on.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Here's a perfect example that adds to the complexity of growing. Especially for a rookie like me. One guy says hold off and another says always use the cal-mag. I'm not sayin' one is correct over the other. Lord knows i really appreciate all the info/opinions that i can get. Guess you just gotta go slow and read the plants. After all, many variables in play here for each grower. Tks
Again everyone. Something else to ponder on and experiment on.
Take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. Always check to see what the people’s plants look like that are giving you advice.

Madmax

Madmax

Id just go by what the plants ars telling you thats all you can do..ive had mag deficiencys every grow and always early on or just starting in flower....got some pics of the plant bro..yellowing leaves must b time to feed em..

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Take everything you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. Always check to see what the people’s plants look like that are giving you advice.
I agree. The best way to learn is through your own trial and doing your own research in my opinion. Granted their is a large amount of great information on the internet but it can also be misleading. I always try to understand the science or w.e behind what I am doing, gather the correct facts and use my own judgment. Everyone's grow conditions, environment, genetics, lights are all different which can throw the information you receive way off. But with a open mind and a will too you xan definitely be led in right direction.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I agree. The best way to learn is through your own trial and doing your own research in my opinion. Granted their is a large amount of great information on the internet but it can also be misleading. I always try to understand the science or w.e behind what I am doing, gather the correct facts and use my own judgment. Everyone's grow conditions, environment, genetics, lights are all different which can throw the information you receive way off. But with a open mind and a will too you xan definitely be led in right direction.
Exactly! Most people fail when they just try to replicate 1 person and everything they do. Gotta take bits and pieces from everyone and find your own groove. When youbjust copy you don’t learn as much or as fast.

Texasbob

Texasbob

Tks. Guys. Hey steveystrappa- the ffhf soil that i am using has had enough nutes in it for 3-4 weeks. Well water only. I've read to go real easy with the ff nutes, especially at first. I'm gonna try about 1/3 dose to start off. They r doing so good I don't wanna mess 'em up !!!
Sounds like a great plan

Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

Tks. Guys. Hey steveystrappa- the ffhf soil that i am using has had enough nutes in it for 3-4 weeks. Well water only. I've read to go real easy with the ff nutes, especially at first. I'm gonna try about 1/3 dose to start off. They r doing so good I don't wanna mess 'em up

That's funny you say that because I was actually just saying this to my girlfriend how my plant hates the grow big from fox farm whenever I gave it to her. And i usually water every 3 days right now and was giving a very small dose of it every other watering the last 2 weeks but I super because she is much happier with the rain water I have been using.

Panhead59

Panhead59

What strain ? What symptoms with ff nutes ? How old are your plants ? Mine were 3 weeks on fri., about 1ft. Tall. Just wondering so I'll know what to look out for ? Tks. Topped the last one today and put the net on. If they r gonna dbl in size through flowering, I'll have to flip in 2 weeks or so, max.

20210530 155153
20210530 155209
Steveystrappa

Steveystrappa

What strain ? What symptoms with ff nutes ? How old are your plants ? Mine were 3 weeks on fri., about 1ft. Tall. Just wondering so I'll know what to look out for ? Tks. Topped the last one today and put the net on. If they r gonna dbl in size through flowering, I'll have to flip in 2 weeks or so, max
#1-2 exoticgenetix sweathelmet
Seed popped up may 3rd
#3 exotic genetics red runtz clone
I'm not sure age but was a small clone when I got it from friend
#4 exoticgenetix rainbow reserve
Coming up on 1 week.
#5 sweathelmet stock
I was slowly feeding them with the big bloom with no issues, but it seemed once I started the grow big with the sweathelmet it just didn't look happy afterword for a day or two. It wasn't like I had something crazy happen to her but I just can tell when she is feeling good or stressed by the perkiness of the leaves. I've been training the sweathelmet pretty heavy and would be pretty tall but I did a topping and some pruning to for a mainline kind of. The node spacing on her was so short it was getting out of hand quick so decided a good pruning would serve her good. Now she has many colas forming. Same with the red runtz. Doing lst and as you can see is almost parallel with the ground with around 8 main cola spots. It just seems to me they are responding better with little to no nutes at the moment but that could change real quick.

Screenshot 20210530 113248 Gallery
20210530 113644
20210530 113137
20210530 113148
Screenshot 20210530 063646 Gallery

Latest posts

Top Bottom