Should I defoliate or not?

• Thread starter whelksemengmail.com
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whelksemengmail.com

whelksemengmail.com

These 2 silver haze clones are at about 10 days into 12/12... I topped them when they were small so they are quite bushy... Do you think I should defoliate a bit because I see a lot of other people do it regularly... Or just leave it? Thanks

Should i defoliate or not
P

Paradiced

Just do not do it just for the sake of it. To let light into the body of the canopy, sure. Take some of the larger fan leaves. The ones with reddish petioles that snap off nice and crisp. Just do not be excessive. Its a thing that you want to experiment with a bit at a time over several sets to get a feel for what if anything you may gain from it. Otherwise..... It will end up an anxious, stressful undertaking before during and after. Takes the fun out of growing.
I can tell you that if you decide not to defoliate you will still end up with a fine crop you can be proud of. Baby steps brother or sister 👍

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

These 2 silver haze clones are at about 10 days into 12/12... I topped them when they were small so they are quite bushy... Do you think I should defoliate a bit because I see a lot of other people do it regularly... Or just leave it? Thanks
You can, but don't have to. I tend to run 'bushy', with the idea that a lot of leaf mass helps stabilize the plant. You need to defoliate strategically if you are going to go 'bushy'. Take off fan leaves that block light to important areas (whatever they may be), and take off enough fan leaves to allow decent air circulation to control humidity as the canopy fills in.

In general, take strategically-placed fan leaves away from the top to control lighting, and shaded/yellowed fan leaves from the bottom and middle to control airflow and humidity.

BUT - if you are going to defoliate at all, and especially if doing a heavy defoliation, do it now, early in the flower stage. Once they start stretching you don't want to be hacking off many leaves.

whelksemengmail.com

whelksemengmail.com

Just do not do it just for the sake of it. To let light into the body of the canopy, sure. Take some of the larger fan leaves. The ones with reddish petioles that snap off nice and crisp. Just do not be excessive. Its a thing that you want to experiment with a bit at a time over several sets to get a feel for what if anything you may gain from it. Otherwise..... It will end up an anxious, stressful undertaking before during and after. Takes the fun out of growing.
I can tell you that if you decide not to defoliate you will still end up with a fine crop you can be proud of. Baby steps brother or sister 👍
Yeah thanks for the tips I think I will leave it for now because lots of bud sites have good amounts of light

Blastfact

Blastfact

I defoliate one time in late veg or very early flower. Then it's finger rubs to keep new growth down in the lower 1/3 of the plant from then on out. I defoliate to keep the garden unattractive to gnats and make it easy to water. I like to keep the big lower fans as long as possible. But at some point in a grow this time of year,,, they have to go.

Top Bottom