Should I finish or Flop?

• Thread starter Gohkil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gohkil

Gohkil

Hey everyone! First grow and on about week 6 of flowering. So 2 of 8 plants popped a couple nanners and there is a chance the others might because they're bag seed and I'm guessing they're all from the same plant and have the same genetics and susceptibility to stress and nanners. I believe the trigger was light as I did not scrog or super crop and some colas are pushing up to the light, one of which is a foot above the light 😅 I have scrog nets now for the next grow and will use topping and lst as well as better genetics to avoid this issue in the future.

So my question(s) for everyone is about the nanners, seeds, yield, and harvest. Basically I'm wondering if I should chop the plants I find nanners on, or let them finish and harvest. I have a wifi scope arriving today to check trichomes to get a more accurate idea of where they're at, but based on what I can tell they're about two weeks away. I also haven't begun flush and want to start that now and flush them before chopping if I can get away with it. I've read nanners may be sterile, and fertile ones don't have much pollen and only pollinate the buds they're on on very close to. I've also read seeds would take 30+ days to form. The nanners appeared in the last two days as I just noticed them yesterday and I inspect the buds A LOT. I've counted about 6 nanners between the two plants, a total of 4 buds with nanners, all near the top.

All of that being said, is the info I've found mistaken about how much nanners can pollinate? I know more will show, but are they enough of a problem that I should chop now? Will they affect potency and yield enough to make it not worth letting all the other buds without nanners on those plants to continue to ripen? With seeds taking so long to form, do I even need to worry if I intend to harvest within two weeks?

Trying to figure out what to do. From what I understand if I wasn't so close to chopping they would pose much more of an issue and I should pull them for sure, but in this case it wouldn't be worth it to chop and would be more worthwhile to let all the buds finish even if some seeds start to form in those buds with nanners because the smoke should still be fine and the other buds should turn out great. I am going to pluck all the nanners for now, see what the ladies do, and wait on feedback. Thank you anyone in advance for your time!

Ponky

Ponky

I won't let anything finish if it won't grow into premium buds. Any weakness genetically and they're in the bin. I don't care if they're 2 days from done. Seeds and nanners? If it's the kind of weed that can grow fucked up. You won't want to smoke it. Every week of finishing the poo is a week of time taken away from the good weed.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Honestly man you're a few weeks out I would just keep and eye out for nanners. If you finish you probably won't even have mature seed. If anything make edibles out of the weed you can salvage. If you're super worried about it cull the two hermies and go with the rest. or just keep any eye on it and finish them all.

Gohkil

Gohkil

I won't let anything finish if it won't grow into premium buds. Any weakness genetically and they're in the bin. I don't care if they're 2 days from done. Seeds and nanners? If it's the kind of weed that can grow fucked up. You won't want to smoke it. Every week of finishing the poo is a week of time taken away from the good weed.
No seeds. The nanners just appeared yesterday or the day before so if there are any pollinated calyx they are 1 day old. I defintiely feel you on that, and in the future I'll have a no tolerance policy as well, but as I said it's my first grow and I'd like to get whatever I can to the best degree out of it so I have a supply to smoke until the next grow finishes which won't start until after this is done. The two things I'm worried about leaving them in there are if those few nanners will actually pollinate everything, and if the appearance of nanners means the end of bud swelling and resin production for the entire plant, bud, or single calyx. The buds look and smell great so if the nanners aren't going to pollinate a lot and just the buds they're on start making seeds I'm hoping I can let them go another 2 weeks and not see a terrible difference.

growsince79

growsince79

Hey everyone! First grow and on about week 6 of flowering. So 2 of 8 plants popped a couple nanners and there is a chance the others might because they're bag seed and I'm guessing they're all from the same plant and have the same genetics and susceptibility to stress and nanners. I believe the trigger was light as I did not scrog or super crop and some colas are pushing up to the light, one of which is a foot above the light 😅 I have scrog nets now for the next grow and will use topping and lst as well as better genetics to avoid this issue in the future.

So my question(s) for everyone is about the nanners, seeds, yield, and harvest. Basically I'm wondering if I should chop the plants I find nanners on, or let them finish and harvest. I have a wifi scope arriving today to check trichomes to get a more accurate idea of where they're at, but based on what I can tell they're about two weeks away. I also haven't begun flush and want to start that now and flush them before chopping if I can get away with it. I've read nanners may be sterile, and fertile ones don't have much pollen and only pollinate the buds they're on on very close to. I've also read seeds would take 30+ days to form. The nanners appeared in the last two days as I just noticed them yesterday and I inspect the buds A LOT. I've counted about 6 nanners between the two plants, a total of 4 buds with nanners, all near the top.

All of that being said, is the info I've found mistaken about how much nanners can pollinate? I know more will show, but are they enough of a problem that I should chop now? Will they affect potency and yield enough to make it not worth letting all the other buds without nanners on those plants to continue to ripen? With seeds taking so long to form, do I even need to worry if I intend to harvest within two weeks?

Trying to figure out what to do. From what I understand if I wasn't so close to chopping they would pose much more of an issue and I should pull them for sure, but in this case it wouldn't be worth it to chop and would be more worthwhile to let all the buds finish even if some seeds start to form in those buds with nanners because the smoke should still be fine and the other buds should turn out great. I am going to pluck all the nanners for now, see what the ladies do, and wait on feedback. Thank you anyone in advance for your time!
Two schools of thought on this topic. The guys with lots of good weed will tell you to toss it out. The guys without will let it finish. Only you can decide whats best for you.

Ponky

Ponky

Yeah. It helps to grow more than you need. Build up a collection. Edibles or extract. Good compromise.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you're a new grower, growing from bagseed, chances are you are not sitting on a few ounces in your stash, and a harvest would mean a lot. I'm guessing you're in the without category.

In that case I would stand by with a magnifying glass and good tweezers for a few weeks.

Most bagseed seems to come from a female plant in a grow, forming a pollen sack or forming nanners, these days. The trait for popping a few hermie flowers is often passed down. While there are notable stories of famous strains being found in bagseed, you are better off getting seeds from reputable breeders who test their wares for things like the tendency to hermie.

Ponky

Ponky

After 42 days of flower.... you can cut it down and smoke it. If you had to come down early. And then start a crop of something better and start getting your perpetual grow in order. This time next year. Weed coming out your ears.

Latest posts

Top Bottom