Should I get nematodes or something?

• Thread starter Loomis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Loomis

Loomis

Kind of long post here so bear with me :)

First time indoor grower here. I have an auto flower plant that's about 10 weeks old. I'm using maybe 60% ProMix and the rest is coco coir and perlite. I fertilized about a week ago with dry amendments.

I have these tiny white "bugs" that are in the soil. I've only dug down maybe 3 inches into the soil and there's lots of them. I thought they were aphids at first but they're not on the the plant stem or leaves whatsoever. The plant is still growing great and is getting closer to harvest time. They do not seem to be affecting the plant at all. I've tried neem oil and a couple other things but they're still around. I check the soil often for any issues any noticed them about 3 days ago.

My phone unfortunately won't focus enough to take a clear picture of them. My question is this: are they harmful and should I get some nematodes to get rid of them?

Thanks

freezeland2

freezeland2

Sounds like fungus gnat larva. Put some strips up to catch and kill any flying adults. Cover top of soil with perlite to smother and kill the larva. They’ll feed on the plants roots until they emerge.

Effendi

Effendi

Sounds like fungus gnat larva. Put some strips up to catch and kill any flying adults. Cover top of soil with perlite to smother and kill the larva. They’ll feed on the plants roots until they emerge.
Yup, that is good advice although not completely accurate. In no way does (airy} perlite smother gnats. Its the wrong material to use. These are fungus gnats and there is nothing (chemical wise) that's safe to use this late in the game.

the fix is a race to the finish line. yellow glue traps are your only chance of winning.

If at the end of the day there are a few carcasses on the bud, no harm no foul. They do not eat leaves or buds but they can get stuck to sticky buds.

As far as nematodes go, there is never a time in which it's wise to use such IPM. Here's why. it takes time to introduce another biological and in the time they hatch /grow they need food. If you have spider mites, it will be too late, spider mites gestate quicker than nem's and you'll never catch up. If you don't have mites and your nem's hatch, they will have nothing to eat and die anyway.

In your case, your pants will be hanging before the nem's even arrive in the mail. Let alone starting the process of management.

The only other option I have used very successfully with Fungus gnats is a 1 inch layer of sand on the surface of the pot. You can water through it but the gnats can not crawl through it without cutting there wings off. (sand is glass) I would use this method if the problem is as extensive as you claim. There is no chemical change to the plant and the sand kills gnats right now as they try to move.

Best bet for you is a pack of yellow glue traps. Then harvest.

Happy Growing.

ps. I just realized that I better add: discard your soil after use. do not try to re-use no matter how much fancy you might have in there. discard and start with a fresh batch next run.

Loomis

Loomis

Was finally able to get a couple "good" pictures. These things move pretty quick. I have a couple other plants growing along with this one. They are all coco coir only. I've had yellow sticky strips in all of the plants and haven't had a single gnat or any other issues.

I did a little research and think they might be "soil mites" that came with the non coco coir soil. I guess these aren't bad unless there's too many of them?

This plant is about four or so weeks away from being harvested, so saying "close" to being harvested in my first post may have been a little off.

Thanks for help so far!!!

Polish 20210429 165135480
Polish 20210429 165149765
Polish 20210429 165217999
Last edited:
Top Bottom