Should I prune? First grow ever

• Thread starter Kong790
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kong790

Kong790

Hi. This is my first grow. I over fertilized three of the plants early in the grow ( gave nutrients too early so the growth was stunted for a bit) but two are thriving. I think I should definetly prune the two large ones because they seem to be well into veg stage. Shouls I just prune off most of the fan leaves towards the bottom for now? I also use LST for all the plants. They're also three weeks old. I've googled lst demonstrations on YouTube but like I said, this is my first grow ever and I've never pruned a plant before either. I've already pruned about 8 leaves. And is pruning off one or two leaves a day not a good idea? Because I'm like constantly putting the plant under stress. Or would it be better to do the pruning in one go every month or something. And do the two large ones look healthy? The leaves look really dark.

Should i prune first grow ever
Should i prune first grow ever 2
Should i prune first grow ever 3
Last edited:
Kong790

Kong790

And my tents 5x5.would you guys say thats suitable for five plants? At first I was like, I can fit 12 plants in here! Lol. How many autos can I grow in that space and how many feminized. Do feminized typically grow bigger? ( based on when I decide to switch light cycle)

Kong790

Kong790

So, I decided to prune. I pruned one extensively I think and the other one just a bit. Is this a good job or bad job?

20201219 205749
20201219 205746
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you can prune & LST, to your desired shape.

good job. don't stress too much. looks like you've read up well. it looks like you're manifolding, where the pruning & LST is done 'up-front' in its vegetative phase.

And my tents 5x5.would you guys say thats suitable for five plants? At first I was like, I can fit 12 plants in here! Lol. How many autos can I grow in that space and how many feminized. Do feminized typically grow bigger? ( based on when I decide to switch light cycle)

again, there is a thousand ways of skinning a cat, how many plants in a given area.

let me give you a rough example:

you could have many small plants, which each yields only small amount, but together yields significant amount - or you could have one single plant coving the same area. it would take longer vegetative phase for that single plant, while the smaller plants would have shorter vegetative phase. as to which of these 2 method is more efficient in terms of yield in a given time....that's another $64 question.

you'd want to look into the specific characteristic of that photoperiod/autoflower strain. maybe, you'd want a autoflower with short flowering period trait to grow heaps of smaller plants in that given area, and maybe you'd want a photoperiod which yields large but over a longer flowering period, to grow less number of larger plants.

i'm guessing 5 x 5 - maybe ten 3-gallon pots. i base my guess from my own tent - i got a 1 m (w) x 1 m (L) - about 3' x 3' area - and i reckon i could fit four 5-gallon pots. i have a 10-gallon pot, 3 gallon pot and a 20 L DWC presently in that tent. so, how large are the final pot sizes?

maybe i could answer it this way - in my 3' x 3' tent, i could fit four of my 20L DWC buckets, or two of those 10-gallon pots or five 3-gallon pots.

not sure about your question of autoflowers vs feminised in terms of size - i suppose the you could keep a feminised in vegetative phase as long as you like, keeping its light cycle at 18/6 (say) on/off light cycle. so, a feminised in longer vegetative phase would yield larger amounts.

but different strains of both autoflowers and feminised varies in its yield (per square foot/metre) and flowering/maturing times, height... personally, i chose feminised over autoflowers because of that fundamental photoperiod trait - and my plans involved cloning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom