Should I switch from soil to coco/perlite?

• Thread starter Northernpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Northernpop

Northernpop

Hey guys, I'm an organic soil grower, and my room is probably too warm for Hydroponics, but I've been reading that growing in coco produces more yield in less time.

Please can anyone give me a heads up? Any pointers on coco growing will be much appreciated. My room is fairly zeroed, and daily feeds would be fine, if necessary.

Cheers.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi a coco perlite mix 30 /70 is a pretty standard ratio , I use this medium it’s great I find if you stick to the PH 5.8 > 6.2 you shouldn’t have many concerns , cal/ mag every feed iron sup once a week , water to 10 to 20 % run off , don’t let the coco dry right out , about it the rest is up to you , this is just what do .

Northernpop

Northernpop

Hi a coco perlite mix 30 /70 is a pretty standard ratio , I use this medium it’s great I find if you stick to the PH 5.8 > 6.2 you shouldn’t have many concerns , cal/ mag every feed iron sup once a week , water to 10 to 20 % run off , don’t let the coco dry right out , about it the rest is up to you , this is just what do .

Ah, great. I'm used to soil, but I fancy the coco lite (70% coco 30% perlite). I love perlite for air, so would like to continue using it. Is it straight forward? I use the full bio bizz line, with life cycle (ecothrive) and molasses.

Would I be fine with these organics? Also, do I need to drain the 10-20% run off away? Seems wasteful and a mess on?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Lordly

Lordly

what do you think,peat 30%, coco 30% , perlite 30% , worm castings 10% +dry amendments from Dr. Earth, or peat 30%, coco 50%, perlite 20%+same dry amendments? im wondering if worm castings are overfeeding plants(nitrogen toxicity) if im using also dry amendments.

Terpz719

Terpz719

Ah, great. I'm used to soil, but I fancy the coco lite (70% coco 30% perlite). I love perlite for air, so would like to continue using it. Is it straight forward? I use the full bio bizz line, with life cycle (ecothrive) and molasses.

Would I be fine with these organics? Also, do I need to drain the 10-20% run off away? Seems wasteful and a mess on?
Much appreciated!
I'd suggest you do a bit more research before changing to coco. It's a completely different animal than soil. It basically is hydroponics. Yes you have to water to run off every time. And you'll be feeding every time you water. It's called fertigation And you'll probably be feeding multiple times per day. My current run is getting fed five times a day. It depends on plant size to pot size to transpiration rates. It's all part of the learning curve.

I'm not familiar with the nutrients you use, but generally you don't want to mix organics and Coco. People do it search the forums here, but to my mind it's more trouble than it's worth. Good luck!

Northernpop

Northernpop

Think you're right. I've looked at my girls this morning, and they look very happy. I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers!

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I'd suggest you do a bit more research before changing to coco. It's a completely different animal than soil. It basically is hydroponics. Yes you have to water to run off every time. And you'll be feeding every time you water. It's called fertigation And you'll probably be feeding multiple times per day. My current run is getting fed five times a day. It depends on plant size to pot size to transpiration rates. It's all part of the learning curve.

Autopots are good with coco.

Sanderman68

Sanderman68

Autopots are good with coco.
Transplanted into coco from soil 7 1/2 weeks ago as a sick gray sorry rootbound taquito leaved pissed off Lady. Washed soil out of rootball thoroughly and into 3 gal plastic COCO she went,1 week later flipto 12 12 per her sisters requests. Ten days before first pistils show, still growin roots lol. Knew water to runoff but thats all . Then read and learned how to succeed in coco.Was really close ,just not measuring runoff #,s. Turns out They were spot on Cacca Coco mutes A B Rhizotonic Cannazyme Boost and Pk . 42 days from flip I'll. Start a thread and show my ladies,you good ppl deserve to see,Thank you for comments. and likes, And a quick shot of the other ladies
20200502 124808
,I'll introduce later

20200502 173405
20200502 124240
Sanderman68

Sanderman68

Transplanted into coco from soil 7 1/2 weeks ago as a sick gray sorry rootbound taquito leaved pissed off Lady. Washed soil out of rootball thoroughly and into 3 gal plastic COCO she went,1 week later flipto 12 12 per her sisters requests. Ten days before first pistils show, still growin roots lol. Knew water to runoff but thats all . Then read and learned how to succeed in coco.Was really close ,just not measuring runoff #,s. Turns out They were spot on Cacca Coco mutes A B Rhizotonic Cannazyme Boost and Pk . 42 days from flip I'll. Start a thread and show my ladies,you good ppl deserve to see,Thank you for comments. and likes, And a quick shot of the other ladiesView attachment 968805,I'll introduce later
She's. A pink lush, and I will get better at posting pics in propped order,,😎😎😎 stay safe!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom