Should I upgrade my current 4 x Samsung LED MOD F-SERIES GEN3 3500K Strips?

• Thread starter Northernpop
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Northernpop

Northernpop

Hiya guys,

I built my current light system for my 3x3ft grow a few years ago (thanks again for all the help), but feel I could achieve better results with one of the new off the shelf units.

Something like a viper spectra or marshydro should run a little cooler than my diy build, too.

This is my current build.

Should i upgrade my current 4 x samsung led mod f series gen3 3500k strips

Should i upgrade my current 4 x samsung led mod f series gen3 3500k strips 2

Cheers!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like that light is doing its job well.. not sure i would call thise an upgrade over what ya got and I dont even know the specs. But IMO I dont think you will gain much if you have the wattage there.

Maybe a slight bit of efficacy with newer diodes on the market but with that fixture why not just upgrade the strips since you have everything else?

Northernpop

Northernpop

Looks like that light is doing its job well.. not sure i would call thise an upgrade over what ya got and I dont even know the specs. But IMO I dont think you will gain much if you have the wattage there.

Maybe a slight bit of efficacy with newer diodes on the market but with that fixture why not just upgrade the strips since you have everything else?

Cheers Aquaman. So, please can you recommend a spec and supplier for new strips? Something better than Gen3, unless it's still a decent spec. My driver is a meanwell 240w 48v ELG-240-48A.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cheers Aquaman. So, please can you recommend a spec and supplier for new strips? Something better than Gen3, unless it's still a decent spec. My driver is a meanwell 240w 48v ELG-240-48A.
Let me tag someone who may... @beluga

I'm currently growing with an HLG 600 v1. Which are the same diodes you are using the Samsung 561c

While the overall spectrum may be the same the peaks changed in the 301b/h.

I doubt you will see any difference in heat or light output even though it will be there. I just don't feel enough for you to see any noticeable difference.

beluga

beluga

Yeah, I think it's just a matter of the wattage you're running for the footprint.
240W on 9sqft is only getting you 27W/sqft max.

Like Aqua said - from here, it looks like they're performing pretty well.

beluga

beluga

How far away are they from your canopy, as well?
What you might be able to do and what might see you with some better results is adding more lower output strips to get a more even spread while driving them much softer. Then you can drop it down on your canopy pretty damn close and get some deeper penetration.

Running 12 at ~20W, I got my BXEB Gen 2's maybe 4 inches away from the tops without any noticeable signs of light or heat stress... obviously that's not ideal, but I was kind of experimenting..
20201116_214114-jpg.1056739

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How far away are they from your canopy, as well?
What you might be able to do and what might see you with some better results is adding more lower output strips to get a more even spread while driving them much softer. Then you can drop it down on your canopy pretty damn close and get some deeper penetration.

Running 12 at ~20W, I got my BXEB Gen 2's maybe 4 inches away from the tops without any noticeable signs of light or heat stress... obviously that's not ideal, but I was kind of experimenting..
20201116_214114-jpg.1056739
Running at a lower wattage will also increase efficiency

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have them at about 40cm from the tops. Much closer creates foxtails on some strains.
I think you add another 240w driver and strips and you got a bombshell of a light. That will easily do a 4x4 and run lower for the 3x3wattage making it more efficient.

Slight over kill but will definitely give as much light as you can handle with better efficacy and spread

beluga

beluga

I have them at about 40cm from the tops. Much closer creates foxtails on some strains.
Yeah... mine are about the same. Probably between 30-40cm.
But I'm only taking care of a 2ft x 4ft footprint with 240W... however, they are much more spread out.
dsc_2216-jpg.1065767

I'd have to look a little harder to see what kind of spread out configuration you could do with the 5A/48V driver... kind of a hard one to work with in that regard from what I'm looking at.
I might go with Aquas advice.
That, or get a 320W driver and add more of those F Series to it.
I think you can get up to 10 on the HLG-320H-24

Northernpop

Northernpop

Dudes, if you guys also think my current lights are up to the job, why change things?
Kind
My room is currently zeroed, so no need to reinvent the wheel. Better lights will increase temps.... Etc... So, slightly larger buds can be the only benefit, I guess!

Peace out, and happy growing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Dudes, if you guys also think my current lights are up to the job, why change things?
Kind
My room is currently zeroed, so no need to reinvent the wheel. Better lights will increase temps.... Etc... So, slightly larger buds can be the only benefit, I guess!

Definitely not much to gain... like you say maybe a bit weight. But personally I wouldn't... just talking ifs bro.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Definitely not much to gain... like you say maybe a bit weight. But personally I wouldn't... just talking ifs bro.

You just upgraded to newer boards. What happened to cutting yours in half to spread out the light?

Congrats by the way. What a behemoth that thing is.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

To the op. Could always add far red flower booster strips and save much money over new strips that will only give diminishing returns anyway.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You just upgraded to newer boards. What happened to cutting yours in half to spread out the light?

Congrats by the way. What a behemoth that thing is.
Well my buddy i set up is growing with a 1000w hps. He has the height so gonna move it there as its more suited. So no hack and slash. Only reason I did was the price. So the hlg 600 will stay mine if you ever wanna go that route šŸ˜ just hollar. After a grow or 2 he lrob buy his own

beluga

beluga

Kind

Agreed!
I think you're making do quite well with what you have have.. give it a couple more years or until something fails to start looking at new technologies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom