Should i w8?

• Thread starter W8ing4Buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

I am not a novice grower but something like this happend first time.
Tricomes are already mostly milky and some even amber but the 50% of pistils are still white. Usually the pistils are first one to go brown and then you w8 for the tricomes.
Has anything like this ever happend to someone else? And the main question is should i cut or should i w8?

BigCube

BigCube

Tricomes are already mostly milky and some even amber but the 50% of pistils are still white. Usually the pistils are first one to go brown and then you w8 for the tricomes.
Has anything like this ever happend to someone else? And the main question is should i cut or should i w8?

I always go by the tricombes. Sometimes in some strains, the hairs stay white till the bitter end.

Ultimately it's up to you, but traditionally the tricombes dictate the readiness.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I disagree. Trichomes come in waves of new clear ones that start ripening as the plant makes new calyx. I check trichomes on the calyx not the bud leaves(they turn early) after 80-90% of the pistils have died back and the flowers are finished growing bigger.

Most growers cut weeks early in my opinion. And let plants yellow way too soon.

BigCube

BigCube

I disagree. Trichomes come in waves of new clear ones that start ripening as the plant makes new calyx. I check trichomes on the calyx not the bud leaves(they turn early) after 80-90% of the pistils have died back and the flowers are finished growing bigger.

Most growers cut weeks early in my opinion. And let plants yellow way too soon.

It's a bit of a nit pick, but disagree with what? What I do, or what the tradition is?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Usually, with the the natural progression of senescence the bracts will swell and engulf the withering stigma. Ive personally never seen a plant ripen without withered hairs, Infact 99% of the plants I've grown, the hairs are almost not even very visible anymore by the time the plant is ripe. though I have heard of some sativas that the hairs dont darken, but they do change color somewhat.

My question is what strain is it and how many weeks has it been flowering so far?

BigCube

BigCube

They sure can 😀. But I never actually said that they couldn't. I said what I do, and what most others do.

I personally dont like any dark tricombes.
I like the majority of mine milky for various reasons. So I will crop down if hairs are still white but the tricombes are where I like them.

There is more to timing a harvest than just waiting for the plant to be done. After various harvests I have learned that when I harvest once the majority of the tricombes are milky, I like the smoke much more, it's smoother, it has a nicer flavor, it has a more upbeat high and a product I prefer.

This is all subjective and why I'm saying there is more to timing a harvest than waiting for it to be "done". Its done when you say it is 😀

I could have gone I to great detail and explained the differences between milky and dark tricombes, but a much quicker answer is 1. What I do and 2. What most people do.

BigCube

BigCube

Usually, with the the natural progression of senescence the bracts will swell and engulf the withering stigma. Ive personally never seen a plant ripen without withered hairs, Infact 99% of the plants I've grown, the hairs are almost not even very visible anymore by the time the plant is ripe. though I have heard of some sativas that the hairs dont darken, but they do change color somewhat.

My question is what strain is it and how many weeks has it been flowering so far?

I've never seen one that that keeps more than like 10% white hairs. But some dont keep any at all and turn red fast.

White widow is one of those strains that hold their white hairs for a long time. Mine is in week 6 and they are just starting to turn red.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah mine usually start to turn colour and wither around week 6-7. By the time they're ripe though... Hairs? What hairs?

This cookies cut is a bit of a dramatic example but when it's done, it looks like it's got almost no hairs on it at all.

20190708 164929

Dan789

Dan789

How about a shot @W8ing4Buds showing your plant and it’s progress? Then we won’t have to guess.

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Im sorry i cant post pic. It give me the worning of low memory and i comprese d it to 200kb.
So the plat that i am talking about is now set as my avatar pic.
Sativa dominant strain

Latest posts

Top Bottom