Should the lights be this close?

• Thread starter SpartanHero
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SpartanHero

SpartanHero

I started 2 new seeds in case the others ones don’t make it/are too stunted and burned. I raised the light so it wouldn’t cause heat stress to the already troubled seedlings but now I’m thinking the younger ones might stretch. The light is about 24 inches from the top of the main 4 in the brown pots. Would the 2 in green pots be too close?

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
I started 2 new seeds in case the others ones don’t make it/are too stunted and burned. I raised the light so it wouldn’t cause heat stress to the already troubled seedlings but now I’m thinking the younger ones might stretch. The light is about 24 inches from the top of the main 4 in the brown pots. Would the 2 in green pots be too close?

What light? PPFD?

Cheers

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Honestly don't worry about seedling stretch you can fix that when transplanting. What you can't fix is cooked plants that stunt for a week recovering. Start far then slowly move it closer as they get bigger.

That fan may be to much for them at this age to be blowing at them. I would move it so there is no direct airflow, just air movement in the tent.

If you have an android you can use an app called light meter by my mobile tools dev. Set the seedling to about 7k lux for the first 4-5 days then up to 10k. Increase about 5k every 4-5 days. If the plants are healthy. Those may need some more time under lower light

SpartanHero

SpartanHero

Honestly don't worry about seedling stretch you can fix that when transplanting. What you can't fix is cooked plants that stunt for a week recovering. Start far then slowly move it closer as they get bigger.

That fan may be to much for them at this age to be blowing at them. I would move it so there is no direct airflow, just air movement in the tent.

If you have an android you can use an app called light meter by my mobile tools dev. Set the seedling to about 7k lux for the first 4-5 days then up to 10k. Increase about 5k every 4-5 days. If the plants are healthy. Those may need some more time under lower light
Got you, yeah the lux app I found said it was roughly 6000 lux at the height I had it which I think I raised to 24 in from the top of the tallest seedling. It’s an oscillating fan that I have pointed over the top so it kind of flows right under the light. It’s on the lowest setting but it is pretty strong compared to another non-oscillating one on top of the fan.

B

Burned Haze

If the light has a dimmer, than dim your lights down to the lowest amount since seeds/clones and what I would call “ stage 1” don’t need more than 10-20% of your light no matter what the brand, hints why so many guys use like one t8 for tons of plants . Well if you can dimm it gradually dim the light from lowest and raise the percentage daily (like every few days and watch the reaction from how the plants act ) the key is to know what the light needs to be, meaning the canopy suggestion from the manufacture . if you didn’t get one from your Manual or they didn’t state on their website , call em or email em cause it’s something you should know cause every inch counts and having a led too far away no matter what stage is just wasteful, exp in flower .

if you have a dimmer I try to stay under 5o%ish in veg and then in bloom I raise to 100% in the weeks it’s triggered ( raised a few % every few days )

Top Bottom