shrooms growing in my pots? what to do.

• Thread starter chranotik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chranotik

Now this is something i've never seen before, just noticed little shrooms starting to popup out of ground out of my roots organic cocofiber. Anyone seen this before? also what should i do about it to get rid of the problem so they dont come back?

http://i39.invalid.com/15o9oxt.jpg

http://i40.invalid.com/2uokzki.jpg

http://i40.invalid.com/165ttw.jpg

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

its a good thing dude... means the life in your soil is thriving:sun

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I used to get tiny 'shrooms every time I used Black Gold soil. Stuck on Roots Organic and FoxFarm, now.

G

Gnarfbuckle

its a good thing dude... means the life in your soil is thriving:sun

No it means that spores have landed in your substrate and have already colonized it and have begun fruiting.

I use coir to grow mushrooms on because it works so well.

If you dig into your soil at all you will see the network of mycellium that has colonized your sub.

Not sure if it will cause any problems, as it depends on the species of mushrooms growing, and how much of the nutrients they uptake.

Not to mention if you have any sort of allergies the spores they release can cause irritations.

D

DoubleDub

The spores most likely came in with your soil. i would just kill em when you see them. They shouldn't cause much harm unless they become an infestation.

C

chranotik

after i kill them should i lower the humidity so the chance of them coming back is slim? i've been keeping it at 50-60% for veg

M

MT Farmer

It's all good my friend. For the most part unless your plants are already dying fungi is a really good thing. There certainly are parasitic fungi out there but those aren't them,and they really only attack trees.

C

chranotik

yeah i didnt notice them start appearing until after i was spraying with neem oil and dawn soap to get rid of white flies, i was spraying everywhere even on the top of the soil.

sedate

sedate

gnarfbuckle said:
If you dig into your soil at all you will see the network of mycellium that has colonized your sub.

Mycellium networks are very beneficial to roots - often these fungi networks are credited with created the preconditions for forrests and large stands of trees.

I'd get rid of the shrooms, but the soil should be fine.

Your leaf tips look a bit burned IMO though - I'd switch to straight H2O for the next few feedings.

S

SkyHi

eat them!!! lol I take no responsibility to what happens next.

D

Dubwobble

The ones growing in soil are not normally psilocybes, unless the soil has alder chips or cow or horse dung.

If you want you can take a spore print from one.
Choose a cap from a mushroom that has opened up.
Place it gills-down on a piece of white paper, and cover it with a glass or bowl.
Within 1 day enough spores should be released in a gill-like pattern that their color can be determined. The color is makes is the start to identifying the mushroom. Other factors are what made up th soil (what they are growing in), and the way the mushroom looks.

Don't EVER eat a mushroom without being absolutely sure. There are not many that can kill you but their are many that will leave you sweaty and shitting yourself.

I have had similar mushrooms as yours growing in my Roots Organic soil. They never seemed to be a problem. It would only happen when the pots were overwatered at night.

You can use a product like Florashield to kill it. It is a great product and can revive old plants by cleaning the soil of any fungi or bacteria.

C

cheyenne

As an amateur mycologist as well as ganja grower, id say your stoked to have those nin your soil. leave 'em. At worst they are saprophytic decomposers of the soil medium. At best they have formed a mychorizae with the root structure.

Top Bottom