sick first grow

• Thread starter seamus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

seamus

ive had to re-plant and change soil to a coco/perlite and say 20% soil.originally i wanted a purely organic grow,i used the nutes i was recommended-canadian exress/coco grow/bloom and all was fine for the first 2 weeks.growth started slowing and after a month i had very pist off yellowing midgets,like i said ive re-potted rm and they had their second foliar feed of biobizz half strength nutes-100% oganic with the feed now,that other feed killed off my poor worms.

G

GroHi

Pics are always nice to help... as with more info, like on nute strengths & feed rates & pH & etc...

Here's my guess based on what you've stated... feeding soil w nutes during the first 4-5 weeks is very bad as you are essentially poisoning the plants w too much nutrients. The soil is "pre-fortified" w additives/nutrients... it has no need for anything except water, especially while the plants are young/small. If you've been giving them nutes, that's very likely the problem.

Don't "feed" w anything else & try flushing the soil w plain water. Don't foliar anymore nutes either as this won't help at all. I would check your pH as that is likely way off as well. Peace brother.

S

seamus

nice one GroHi-that sounds pretty bang on,especially with over feeding them.the soil was specially chosen for its nute qualities.that and it had been nicely worked over by a helpfull mole. Again many thanks for your help,if i post some pics later would you take a look please. the p.h is now a steady 6.9,the waters reverse psycology and has been since about 2 weeks before the big replant.foliar spray and feed is at half stated dose( 4ml per litre)I also looked on this website and checked the pics of other peoples sick plants which helped no-end,peace to you too brother and big thanks and love.

G

GroHi

No problem brother. Again, limited info, so just a guess, but the circumstances seem consistent. Peace & greenest of vibes.

S

seamus

sick gro

i stopped chasing my tail for answers and did what you said and dropped the nutes out for the time being, im lucky enough to have good water so that"ll do for the mo.obviously they aint out the woods just yet but it might sound mad but i can actually see signs of good health pushing through. thanks for your time and taken advice,the mrs is gonna put up some pics eventually-hopefully by the time she moves her ass and does they might look even better! lots of love from Devon, oh-ah.

S

seamus

Thanks again GroHi,everything has sorted itself out now-that wasnt before i had an attack of thrips and fungus gnat.I gave them 2 doses of pytherins spray 3 days appart and at last they are bug and probs free,ive even sucessfully taken good clones from them-i could never imagine doin that when i first ask you for help,not so long ago.Cheers Seamus,love and peace to all

G

GroHi

No worries, glad that was the issue & addressed... nice w they're the simple ones! ;-)

Could also try insecticidal soap on the bugs as it is "soft"... the plants won't stress out as much, which can happen w the pyrethrums.

Also, watch the fungus gnats, as if you killed off the visible adults, their babies are likely growing in the soil/medium. This is usually an indicator of overly wet soil, but if you get them & just water normally, they will likely stick around. Not that much of an issue as long as it is only one or two, here & there. You can soak the soil w a 2% dormant oil solution w 1/5 rate of insecticidal soap... this will likely kill & smother all the babies... along w any adults that might be there. Neem oil would be my next soil drench if necessary.

Greenest of vibes. Peace brotha.

S

seamus

Yes GroHi its only at a very early stage,now ive got a new smaller tent for veggin its a whole lot easier to see everything-keep an eye on it etc and deal with it. The fella in the grow/head shop said about a soil wash,gotta admit that the sound of washing my soil freaked the f**k outta me.I get most princibles of gardening but couldnt get my nut round that one at first,i figured it may mess the soil about nutes and toxicity levels. When he gave me a spray he said much the same as you have about their cycle and larve living in the soil,it is hopefully nearly conquored. Am i better off not chasing the buggers about and just get a wash to completely break the cycle? would this break it or can i spray this 0.2% pyrethrin at the soil/stems? What you reckon bro-Love and peace from Devon UK

S

seamus

Yes GroHi its only at a very early stage,now ive got a new smaller tent for veggin its a whole lot easier to see everything-keep an eye on it etc and deal with it. The fella in the grow/head shop said about a soil wash,gotta admit that the sound of washing my soil freaked the f**k outta me.I get most princibles of gardening but couldnt get my nut round that one at first,i figured it may mess the soil about nutes and toxicity levels. When he gave me a spray he said much the same as you have about their cycle and larve living in the soil,it is hopefully nearly conquored. Am i better off not chasing the buggers about and just get a wash to completely break the cycle? would this break it or can i spray this 0.2% pyrethrin at the soil/stems? What you reckon bro-Love and peace from Devon UK

S

seamus

And YES all the computer stuff is new to me as well,ha ha,and its late and im probably too stoned to..........................Night all zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

G

GroHi

This is a one-on-one thread, no? lol

Been gone a few days, sorry so late to reply...

Yeah, I don't find fungus gnats too much of a problem, but that doesn't mean I don't try to kill them off... just that they're kinda easy compared to other pests. The populations can go crazy if you don't keep on them though, assuming you can't get rid of them permanently...

Spraying the top of the soil works, though you don't really want to do it everyday. A product called Tanglefoot is great... yellow sticky gel for trapping pests. I've lined the rim of pots w these & it catches the gnats, along w other pests. A good barrier to isolate an area as well, just watch out for it... stepped in once... just wipes off.

Don't know about a "soil wash", perhaps just meant a drench... terminology...? After I spray the adults, I like to soil drench w an oil product to hamper the larvae, then spray again in a few days, then drench, then should be gone, unless an adult was missed, then they'll pop up again in a little. You'll likely kill them off though... until another one flies in from the outside & takes residence again... lol. Such is life. Peace brother.

S

seamus

Still fighting bugs,its bloody thrips runnin about now.Ive just sprayed the lot with same stuff yet again,persistant little sods arent they.I absolutely soaked them,got right underside of em and blasted until they were drippin.Im gonna leave them the 3 days the bottle says before re-spraying,although it seems to have totally got rid of my gnats i gotta admit im ready to look at a more natural line of attack-Any ideas folks?

G

GroHi

Certain thrips can be a pain, others more easily dealt with... the light beige ones from outside were tough for me... very resilient.

Insecticidal soap usually kills them for a contact & azatrol is a good all purpose foliar you can use to inhibit their development at all stages of growth. Spray down w the soap, then hit them w the neem the next day. Repeat the neem in a week & spot spray the soap as you see the adults, or crush them. Hit everything w the foliars... leaf tops & bottoms, stems, soil tops, the pots & drains even.

Bleach everything between the crops & even let the room run completely dry for a week or two in between... just to stop them all at this run & try to prevent for the next. Peace.

S

seamus

Yes Yes you guys,a big hello from me and many many thanks for the help.It would be fair to say that im gettin un-naturally attatched and concerned about honeys all the time,ha ha i love it. Ok fellas,does this sound familiar-"you spend more time with those plants than me".What can i say-GUILTY as charged.Its not a commercial thing for me,strictly personal and a couple of mates.I will do the next spray in 3 days as stated on the bottle,then if they still persist its time for a more radical approach.Theyre is some dark ones that have hitched a lift in,quick little buggers.Ever tried the mail order bugs,if so how long should leave it after the next spray cycle-cant be messin about chasin this lot! Love and Peace to all at the farm.Seamus

S

seamus

Yes DJXXPLATINUM how's things,dont fall off that corner mate-must say it sounds nice,and YES i love my baby's too.Cheers Seamus

T

The Geneticist

all about the hands on experience bro. Youll get better once you keep doing it.

S

seamus

Thanks for the vote of confidence from The Geneticist,its a learning curve and although i get the hump at the time i love growing-listen to me! I've only been at it 5 mins and im talkin like im an old hand.That is the main thing im takin away from all the crap i've had from pretty much day one,all good experience.That beside,i cant thank everyone at the farm enough for all the help,advice and good green vibes.Nice one peps-i love you all

T

The Geneticist

all about support man, also any questions please feel free.

S

seamus

Nice to know the support is there,many a time lately i've been scratchin my arse and head. Best of vibes back to you from the U.K. Big shout out to Hollywood's The Geneticist,lending a helping hand from U.S.A-Love and Peace Bro,Seamus

Top Bottom