Sick plants help!

• Thread starter Coastalgrow1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Coastalgrow1

Coastalgrow1

Not to sure what’s going on with my current rounds. Have had a couple funky leaf growth in last but usually went away and corrected itself. But this round the bad new growth is getting very bad. I had these girls in veg for a 3-4 weeks in 1 gal pots. The other day I noticed so curling and funky new growth. I then flushed the plants with PO’d RO water and then transplanted into 3 gals and moved from under t5 to CMH. I prewashed the coco with ph’d RO water then some fresh nutes. Really getting stumped on this one. Only thing I can think of is PH, I had russet mites/broad mites yearssss back and it doesn’t quite look the same too me. I need to still scope the plants but any ideas? Thanks. First three pictures was when I started to notice the weird growth while still in 1 gals. The last two pictures at about 10 hours after transplant (2 days later from first 3 pics). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sick plants help
Sick plants help 2
Sick plants help 3
Sick plants help 4
Sick plants help 5
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

First thing I'd do is check for mites very carefully underneath the leaves with magnification. If I was 100% sure theres no bugs then I would check my pH, check my calibration if I was using a meter and maybe do a slurry test, hope this helps!

Coastalgrow1

Coastalgrow1

First thing I'd do is check for mites very carefully underneath the leaves with magnification. If I was 100% sure theres no bugs then I would check my pH, check my calibration if I was using a meter and maybe do a slurry test, hope this helps!
Checked for any mites nothing visible also sprayed some preventatives. Could be something I can’t see I need to get a microscope. I’m using the end of the ph tester drops maybe it got diluted and my PH isn’t what it’s showing

Coastalgrow1

Coastalgrow1

Highly recommend you invest in a bluelab pH pen

also are you using any cal-mag in that coco? Might help to use a smidgeon. RO water alone isn't very stable for pH
Ya I really do. Honestly I got a PH pen way back maybe 6 years ago and had bad luck with calibration so I gave up on them. I use tupor coco with perlite and runs jacks hydro and my systems has not changed for 6 years. So I’m putting this on PH.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Ya I really do. Honestly I got a PH pen way back maybe 6 years ago and had bad luck with calibration so I gave up on them. I use tupor coco with perlite and runs jacks hydro and my systems has not changed for 6 years. So I’m putting this on PH.

yep I'm quite familiar with Tupur. Good stuff. Yeah the bluelab pH pen is fairly easy to use and calibrate in my opinion. If you get the "Grower's Toolbox" it's a pretty good deal for both the pH pen and ppm pens. Comes with everything you need to clean/calibrate should last about a month before you need to buy calibration solution, which doesn't have to be bluelab solution, there's cheaper options for that. Calibration is really easy with that pen. Just keep in mind they specifically say NOT to stick the pH pen into pure, distilled or RO water, as it can ruin the pen. So just keep that in mind and don't drop it, should last you a loooong time. And never let a pH pen dry out.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I’m very happy with this one. Calibration is quick and easy

Apera AI209-T Value Series PH20... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Z6LF91?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I've got two of those dead in about three years and re: the second one Apera wouldn't honor their warranty

If I do by another meter it'll be blue lab but I've been using these going on a year now, for my amount of use they work well
20200111 121042

Yep, I use them as expensive thermometers now LOL

Last edited:
Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I've got two of those dead in about three years and re: the second one Apera wouldn't honor their warranty

If I do by another meter it'll be blue lab but I've been using these going on a year now, for my amount of use they work well
View attachment 928998

Yep, I use them as expensive thermometers now LOL
View attachment 928999
Maybe I should have sprung for a bluelab🤷🏻‍♂️ I keep mine in solution and it’s been working great, I use it daily. Maybe that’s why it was on sale, but I’ll def see how long it runs and report if it doesn’t last.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Maybe I should have sprung for a bluelab🤷🏻‍♂️ I keep mine in solution and it’s been working great, I use it daily. Maybe that’s why it was on sale, but I’ll def see how long it runs and report if it doesn’t last.
first one I broke the bulb just putting the cap on which is another reason I like the design much better on the blue lab because that can't happen

The second one I sent back to Apera and they told me it was the bulb, but it was having mechanical issue like it wouldn't shut off, & sometimes it wouldn't calibrate properly and other odd behavior

They told me it had "heavy use"? and that the bulb needed to be replaced and they wanted to charge me $25

I suppose it's possible that the bulb was causing weird malfunctions but it seemed more mechanical to me, so idk?

But my meters receive very light use and are properly stored upright & in the proper solution

So I told them just send it back and that my next meter would be bluelab

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

first one I broke the bulb just putting the cap on which is another reason I like the design much better on the blue lab because that can't happen

The second one I sent back to Apera and they told me it was the bulb, but it was having mechanical issue like it wouldn't shut off, & sometimes it wouldn't calibrate properly and other odd behavior

They told me it had "heavy use"? and that the bulb needed to be replaced and they wanted to charge me $25

I suppose it's possible that the bulb was causing weird malfunctions but it seemed more mechanical to me, so idk?

But my meters receive very light use and are properly stored upright & in the proper solution

So I told them just send it back and that my next meter would be bluelab

I wonder if mine has been updated as the cap doesn’t allow for contact with the bulb🤷🏻‍♂️ There is no way I could brake the bulb putting this cap on, so maybe the problem has been resolved. If the bulb was damaged then it could absolutely throw your readings and cal out of whack. One of the reasons I got this one was because I can replace the sensor.if it fails in less than a year with everyday use then I will not be happy.

Dan789

Dan789

I’ve had a Hanna 98127 for about six years, maybe longer, and has given me good service. Plenty of video’s on calibration...

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I wonder if mine has been updated as the cap doesn’t allow for contact with the bulb🤷🏻‍♂️ There is no way I could brake the bulb putting this cap on, so maybe the problem has been resolved. If the bulb was damaged then it could absolutely throw your readings and cal out of whack. One of the reasons I got this one was because I can replace the sensor.if it fails in less than a year with everyday use then I will not be happy.
The first one I snapped the bulb, I must have because I never dropped it or juggled with it LOL so that's the only thing I could think of that may have happened to it

but I bought a second one and that was the one with the mechanical issues

New one's almost 2 years old but it's the same as the first one in design

That was just my experience with this brand, glad you're having better luck but for me but I'm not buying a third one LOL

20200111 142900
Last edited:
Ph 007

Ph 007

Not to sure what’s going on with my current rounds. Have had a couple funky leaf growth in last but usually went away and corrected itself. But this round the bad new growth is getting very bad. I had these girls in veg for a 3-4 weeks in 1 gal pots. The other day I noticed so curling and funky new growth. I then flushed the plants with PO’d RO water and then transplanted into 3 gals and moved from under t5 to CMH. I prewashed the coco with ph’d RO water then some fresh nutes. Really getting stumped on this one. Only thing I can think of is PH, I had russet mites/broad mites yearssss back and it doesn’t quite look the same too me. I need to still scope the plants but any ideas? Thanks. First three pictures was when I started to notice the weird growth while still in 1 gals. The last two pictures at about 10 hours after transplant (2 days later from first 3 pics). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Not saying this is your problem. But I have the same only one stem on mine tho, mine was from spraying neel oil on plant with light still on

Ph 007

Ph 007

The first one I snapped the bulb, I must have because I never dropped it or juggled with it LOL so that's the only thing I could think of that may have happened to it

but I bought a second one and that was the one with the mechanical issues

New one's almost 2 years old but it's the same as the first one in design

That was just my experience with this brand, glad you're having better luck but for me but I'm not buying a third one LOL
I been thinking buying a new tip for it you can buy the end bit 20 quid,, mine works but got some mold growing on the prob/glass and this seem to slow down how quick it can read the pH, you get this problem, was thinking putting it in bleech duno if it'd good idea tho lol

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I been thinking buying a new tip for it you can buy the end bit 20 quid,, mine works but got some mold growing on the prob/glass and this seem to slow down how quick it can read the pH, you get this problem, was thinking putting it in bleech duno if it'd good idea tho lol
Muriatic acid

Top Bottom