Sick plants?

• Thread starter Limster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
My regular water is around 7.5 ph. I bring it down to about 6Ph. In order to get a ppm reading, won’t I have to to flush so I can get run off to test? Again it’s my first grow, so learning as I go.
No, as @MIGrampaUSA said, Ph of 7.5 should be fine unles your medium is at that Ph. Most nutes are slightly acidic and everything works out pretty well, especially in soil based grows. To get your PPM reading, there are two measurements to keep in mind. The outflow after a flush will give you an idea of what is remaining in the soil. If you read at the beginning of a flush, you get a better idea of the current root zone conditions before the extra nutes are washed away.
During growing, the PPM readings can also be used to determine the nutrient levels going into your plants and sort of measure the same thing, but the results during growing help to determine nute dosage, not nute problems (although both are related).

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My regular water is around 7.5 ph. I bring it down to about 6Ph. In order to get a ppm reading, won’t I have to to flush so I can get run off to test? Again it’s my first grow, so learning as I go.

I think what JImster is trying to do is slow you down and take each step. Gather your information and then with that information, decide what to do. Plants rarely heal old growth. Nothing you did today will automatically change things today. Look at the new growth, and that will tell you if you have more to do, or if you are on the right track in solving the problem.

Rarely do we improve things by throwing everything at it in hopes that something will stick.

Limster

Limster

So to keep everyone updated. I think I may have found my main problem, my ppm was at like 15000!!!! I have not been hitting the nutes hard but I think I was not giving the plant enough water to push out the nutes just chilling in the bottom of my medium. I flushed it with a few gallons and brought the ppm way down. I ran out of liquid for my PH test but the ppm seemed to be a good indicator of what was happening. I will get a reading as soon as my amazon package comes. Would it be a good or bad idea to add a little spray of seaweed kelp To the plant? I have attached some new pics to help show the progress. I have not watered my plant in 3 days waiting for the soil to dry out. I’m planning on watering with tap water this time around and hoping for a better result and then give a light feeding in 2-3 days depending on how quickly the medium dries. I’m beginning to second guess my methods now that I’m running into a few problems. Do I water enough? I water when the top soil dries out and I the medium start to compact. Lights too low? I have a relatively weak light and followed the instructions with it. Did I let let the heat get too high? My main concern now is I’m seeing some leaves around nug sites start to drop while others look fine (1st pic). In the pics you’ll be able to see what I’m talking about! I also attached 2 extra photos just to get your opinion on how the rest of the plants developing.
I am open to advice on anything I can add or not do to increase my success here. Thanks again everyone. (Apologize the lights are on again but left my house and had already taken the pics so these will have to suffice)

92E70BBB E40F 4091 A1FA A959FA65B5A4
67B43B23 1147 4B6E 94EA 9C2614CFC0EE
07648313 F081 4169 B8FE 0E54FB9D252F
Anthem

Anthem

Just keep giving it water until it starts to bounce back IMO. Once it starts to bounce back add like half or 1./3 the strength of the nutes. You cannot really feed the plant based on the schedule on the bottle because the light source does not match what the nutrient company did their test under.

Limster

Limster

Just keep giving it water until it starts to bounce back IMO. Once it starts to bounce back add like half or 1./3 the strength of the nutes. You cannot really feed the plant based on the schedule on the bottle because the light source does not match what the nutrient company did their test under.
In terms of the plant, is it looking healthy besides the minor problems I ran into?

Limster

Limster

So after I started seeing the curling in the leaves, I flushed the plant and raised the light. I have given it minimal nutes and trying to let it recover. Lately the leaves have been loosing color and have gotten a few brown spots and tips. I thought it could possibly be part of the healing process but wanted to post some pics, keep everyone updated, and get some opinions. I ran numerous tests of the run off, the ppm, the PH level etc. they all seem to be normal but still seems like my little girl is fighting to survive. Any advice or comments based off the pics?

926EB9B0 C940 40A4 A02F DC25C2A79BE9
29E6B62A 220C 4033 8BC8 8EA6974AA288
F4D323E8 DFEF 4033 AC38 5B8DCF2E6DFD
2F9EAD6D AD30 4D03 A8BA 26162F59540A
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
First, never feed a plant in coco pure water without nutrients. Even when you flush mid grow, use a dilute nutrient solution. Pure water can really mess with plants in coco. If you see high ppm coming out, feed it a lower ppm.
Secondly I'd consider using an enzyme product to attempt to break down some of the excess nutrients and any dead root matter. PPm of runoff doesnt tell you how much salt is left still stuck in the media.
And my number 1 suggestion would be to avoid getting caught up with too many details and just stick to feeding a basic complete fertilizer, and keep ppm at or below 500 considering the low light condition. Attempting to fix problem after perceived problem often causes more harm.

Limster

Limster

First, never feed a plant in coco pure water without nutrients. Even when you flush mid grow, use a dilute nutrient solution. Pure water can really mess with plants in coco. If you see high ppm coming out, feed it a lower ppm.
Secondly I'd consider using an enzyme product to attempt to break down some of the excess nutrients and any dead root matter. PPm of runoff doesnt tell you how much salt is left still stuck in the media.
And my number 1 suggestion would be to avoid getting caught up with too many details and just stick to feeding a basic complete fertilizer, and keep ppm below 500 considering the low light condition. Attempting to fix problem after perceived problem often causes more harm.
And my number 1 suggestion would be to avoid getting caught up with too many details and just stick to feeding a basic complete fertilizer, and keep ppm below 500 considering the low light condition. Attempting to fix problem after perceived problem often causes more harm.
Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve heard that or read that and I’ve done a lot of research. Obviously with the stress the yield is going to be demolished but do you think, based off the pics, this plant will make it 3 more weeks till harvest? Additionally, what enzyme would you consider using? Open for all recommendations!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve heard that or read that and I’ve done a lot of research. Obviously with the stress the yield is going to be demolished but do you think, based off the pics, this plant will make it 3 more weeks till harvest? Additionally, what enzyme would you consider using? Open for all recommendations!

Yeah Its still recoverable. But I think its gonna need more than 3 weeks, based on the most recent pic looks like it's got 5-6 weeks or more to go.
I use Enzymes Komplete because they're somewhat local to me and it seems to work extremely well. I recently started using it regularly and not just correctively. I use it once every 2 or 3 weeks for regular maintenance.

And have a read of this write up.

Limster

Limster

I have tried everything at this point. I added some enzymes, I haven’t over feed nutes, Gave it a few flushes. Watched PH levels ETC. I can’t find out what’s going on with this plant. It doesn’t look like it has too much longer. Lot of yellowing and burning. Even the stems are turning purple, could be genetics or other problems. I’m just out of ideas in what to do but don’t want to give up hope

3B634C8D 9819 4134 89AA 3510E132B30E
191EB17A 1F90 4984 8DA4 CC1DC8CFE241
368F202E E23E 4A8A B74B 432C224D5066
87048E6C F414 46BC 8DE8 9D8FFBF373C4
Limster

Limster

Anyone have advice for the current state of the plant? Don’t want to try to correct something and end up pushing her over the edge. Seems like She’s walking a very fine line at the moment.

Top Bottom