Simple DIY air conditioner

• Thread starter dextr0
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dextr0

dextr0

My pops told me about some guy that did this where he worked to cool his station down. Never seen it in person; but I know alot of people would love to get this to work for em. An Idea to work with anyway...from another site:
http://gajitz.com/coolest-hack-ever...googimages&utm_source=images&utm_medium=other
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. When life gives you an apartment with no air conditioning, you grab some supplies and make your own air conditioner. A clever Flickr user did just that and documented his project with annotated pictures.
diy-air-conditioner.jpg

homemade-air-conditioner.jpg

Starting off with a regular oscillating tabletop fan, he wrapped copper tubing in a spiral around the front and back of the fan. Flexible plastic tubing connects the copper coils to the reservoir below so that the fan can still oscillate.
use-a-fan-as-an-air-conditioner.jpg

Fish tank pumps cycle cold water up, through the coils, and back down. When the fan blows across the cold tubes, it creates a gust of chilly air in the room. There’s no mention of the cost involved, but this looks to be a relatively simple and inexpensive solution for homes that can’t take the electrical load of a window air conditioner. Just be careful if you try this – or any other hack involving electricity (especially electricity near water) at home.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Is that a homebuilt swamper fixit?cant say ive ever seen anything like it before,is it built out of a trashcan?

mrfixit

mrfixit

Yeppers - 32g trashcan sitting in a bucket (which handles stray water streams and adds reservoir capacity), small garden pump feeding a drip ring flowing over the blue filter material vented out the top with a fan. Knocks 8-12 degrees out of the room depending on humidity, ambient temp etc. Works pretty well, well worth the under $50 to build.
SW 3 w

coloradochem

coloradochem

Yeppers - 32g trashcan sitting in a bucket (which handles stray water streams and adds reservoir capacity), small garden pump feeding a drip ring flowing over the blue filter material vented out the top with a fan. Knocks 8-12 degrees out of the room depending on humidity, ambient temp etc. Works pretty well, well worth the under $50 to build.
View attachment 230085
dude you just saved me about 200 bucks. thanks! awesome idea

mrfixit

mrfixit

Well, I don't want to hijack the OP's thread; I've seen some interesting variants on his post to do rez cooling etc!

Couple things I'd do differently/"v2"on my design... go one size down on the garbage can to save money on the reservoir/catch basin; that may save you $15-$20 right off the bat. Choose stiffer tubing than the cheap vinyl I used for the spray ring; it aids in keeping the holes you make spraying the direction you want! Lastly shop around/research the paper-esque material used by most evaporative coolers (damned if I can remember the name - Google it). You can find it on the web/eBay in roll form and it is MUCH more effective at transferring moisture, BUT it also needs replacement more often than HVAC filter material (or "extend" it by buying/adding humidifier water treatment).
I will do all of the above before -next- summer.

coloradochem

coloradochem

thanks for the tips bro, swampers are very common in my part of the country, so i should have several choices for pads

mrfixit

mrfixit

anybody wants to post some improved shit..by all means go ahead. I just wanted to put a simple idea into some these new (and old) peeps minds.
I've seen setups similar to what you showed used for small res coolers, cloner coolers, etc. It's a simple heat pipe and it is a good start. Variations include small chillers made the same way using small portable/student size fridges, small chest freezers etc. I may very well add a coil/mini fridge/pump to provide recirculating cold water for my swamp cooler!

coloradochem

coloradochem

hey mrfixit just to get this straight, youre sucking hot air into the barrell and blowing cooled air out the top and into your room via the 8 inch duct. correct?

mrfixit

mrfixit

hey mrfixit just to get this straight, youre sucking hot air into the barrell and blowing cooled air out the top and into your room via the 8 inch duct. correct?

Correct. Although evap coolers have a "optimal" range as far as ambient temp/humidity. They do thier best in desert-like conditions, but I've found that even in my Midwest below-grade basement where it can hit 75-80 @45+ RH, it still throws out a nice flow of cool, not-too-moist air.
Will it take the place of a nice mini-split? Hell no, but if you can find me a decent used mini much under $800, this is $50 well spent :-)

therealAries

therealAries

Correct. Although evap coolers have a "optimal" range as far as ambient temp/humidity. They do thier best in desert-like conditions, but I've found that even in my Midwest below-grade basement where it can hit 75-80 @45+ RH, it still throws out a nice flow of cool, not-too-moist air.
Will it take the place of a nice mini-split? Hell no, but if you can find me a decent used mini much under $800, this is $50 well spent :)

Thanks mrfixit you rock i feel confident going back to high intensity discharge bulbs and ditch this t5 set

Top Bottom