Simple Dwc Bucket Cooler Idea

• Thread starter LuccaDaddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

Tell me what you think guys. Just installed it so I will be checking throughout the evening to determine if it will be a simple process or a constant hourly job

Simple dwc bucket cooler idea
Simple dwc bucket cooler idea 2
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Excellent idea! It should work. Consider lining the inside of the tote with heavy duty Al foil

I just ordered a bunch of Blue Ice containers of various sizes from Coleman and Rubbermaid. I filled several containers cutting open a bunch of soft blue ice packs. Also, I am using a 24 can igloo cooler to place my outboard rez in, then place blue ice around the rez

ken dog

ken dog

It's a waste of time... you'll need to refresh it every time it melts if you want it to be proper.

You're better off setting up a waterfall.

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

It worked great guys, dropped the res temps waaaaaay down. It was 73 but stable all the time but today, 24hrs later its 68 and the jug is completly thawed yet cool to the touch, so putting another one in thats forzen will be great. Now mind you, it took six hours to bring it down to 68F. But now with the temp already under 70, it wont melt the next jug as fast and should bring it down to the very low 60s. Will update tonight.

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

Good luck.:)
Hope I'm wrong with regards to your situation.
hey man im just broke, so when I can invest on better equipment ofcourse I will. but for now this seems to be working. anything is better than a 70F + bucket res temp

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

Excellent idea! It should work. Consider lining the inside of the tote with heavy duty Al foil

I just ordered a bunch of Blue Ice containers of various sizes from Coleman and Rubbermaid. I filled several containers cutting open a bunch of soft blue ice packs. Also, I am using a 24 can igloo cooler to place my outboard rez in, then place blue ice around the rez
yea man aluminum foil? may try that depending how day 2 works. might not need too. im gonna by one of those long styrofoam ones and do the same thing when I can. went to walmart, lowes, academy sports, nobody had them yesterday and I had to do something an this was next best thing.

ken dog

ken dog

hey man im just broke, so when I can invest on better equipment ofcourse I will. but for now this seems to be working. anything is better than a 70F + bucket res temp

That's cool... You may be surprised at how well a waterfall or 2 would work... See if you can incorporate that into your design.

Sometimes it can be as simple as allowing the pump to push the water up like a fountain.

ken dog

ken dog

You have a pump right?... Drill a hole in the bottom of your bucket and insert the pump there so it is pumping water into your bucket... Then drill a hole in top of your bucket, and have it overflow on top of your tub lid.

Drill another hole in the top of your tub lid, and let it fall into your main tub.

You get the idea... You can custom fit and decide for yourself how you would like to do it... and how many waterfalls you want to install.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It worked great guys, dropped the res temps waaaaaay down. It was 73 but stable all the time but today, 24hrs later its 68 and the jug is completly thawed yet cool to the touch, so putting another one in thats forzen will be great. Now mind you, it took six hours to bring it down to 68F. But now with the temp already under 70, it wont melt the next jug as fast and should bring it down to the very low 60s. Will update tonight.

If you are away and the rez temp gets warm (> 72*) add a couple frozen bottles to quickly bring it down, then leave one

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

You have a pump right?... Drill a hole in the bottom of your bucket and insert the pump there so it is pumping water into your bucket... Then drill a hole in top of your bucket, and have it overflow on top of your tub lid.

Drill another hole in the top of your tub lid, and let it fall into your main tub.

You get the idea... You can custom fit and decide for yourself how you would like to do it... and how many waterfalls you want to install.

Wouldn't drilling 2 staggered holes near the top of a side wall do the same thing, without risking bottom leaks?

ken dog

ken dog

The bucket is already in the water... plus, you want circulation.

LuccaDaddy

LuccaDaddy

If you are away and the rez temp gets warm (> 72*) add a couple frozen bottles to quickly bring it down, then leave one
N

Oh sorry man by the way this gro has no water pump....gonna update everything towards the evening so be sure to check in

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I have one sat growing in a bucket with 3 air stones. I took 3 clones and will put them into my Mini Me F & D.

It will be interesting to see whether that changes the growth. I think it will as I have large net pot half filled with stones under the tote lid. This provides great anchorage for the roots

The picture is from last grow. Now I have the tote top cut and drop the young rooted plant into it. I had an awful time with mosquitoes, which the lids resolve. Plus it seems roots prefer darkness

IMG 3038
keiksweat

keiksweat

Pumps also heat up your water.keep sticking frozen bottles in ya res.tried and tested.I know s dozen or more good farmers who do it every summer.good luck

Top Bottom