Simple Promix HP hydro setup??

• Thread starter Johnlandy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Hey friends,

I am still a fairly inexperienced grower but I have had some success with autos grown organically. However, I am experiencing some hiccups with a very simple hydro setup. Essentially I am popping my seeds in q plugs, incubating in hum dome and getting germination within 48 hours. The real issue I have is when to transplant my q plug into my first pot. I am using promix hp as my medium and I am a bit bullish on it. For my organic grows, the transplant was so easy from solo cup to 2 gal or 5 gal pot. Should I transplant q plug into promix hp solo cup after tap root appearance, run it for like 10 more days and then transfer to 2 gal or 5 gal? I am thinking about starting q plug in the promix hp cup to start but I was worried about potential inhibition of root growth.

*I just got some commerce city kush seeds and I really want to treat these ladies right šŸ„°šŸ˜šŸ„°. *

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Johnny

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i would think if the seedling has popped and has just started to grow than i would think you can plant..
should be no issues..

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
i would think if the seedling has popped and has just started to grow than i would think you can plant..
should be no issues..
Thanks for the reply. I suspect you are correct. Should I completely saturate the promix in the new transplant container, spread some granular myco, and drop q plug? Iā€™m ashamed to admit this but I added like 10ml to my q plug and dropped it In a dry 5 gal of promix go in previous runs. Is it that simple lol?

Ponky

Ponky

I transplant the solo cup. And water.
Simple promix recipe: floranova grow, floranova bloom. Ph down. Some preventative pest and fungicide treatment.

dred

dred

i sprout all seed in promix in solo cups with holes in bottom so they can drain.
small pot would work too.
fill cup with promix, im usin hp cc this run.
soak cup completely let sit for hour or so till water quits running out bottom
make little hole with finger put in seed
cover with some damp promix
everyday i drip a little water over seed to keep moist
3-4 days walla
best part I keep it in cup for two weeks
it grows real fast no need to transplant for couplenweeks when plant is stronger
and there are lotso roots
I normally go right from solo cup into 7gal pot in 2 weeks

some over think it imo
and I donā€™t ph nutes in promix

9AB92DBA 0B44 4143 BA71 F58E738F5C24
FA8FF345 1444 4F54 B936 B4D14D103DA9
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Don't use domes for seedlings they don't need it. It will only add more stress when transplanting going from high to low humidity also.... back the light off as far as possible for 2-3 days after to let em settle in. As was mentioned water the whole pot and should not have an issue.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would say transplant into the solo cups, but more than just 10 days. I would go longer, and you can actually check on them after about 10 days, and see where there at, but I would get a good sized root ball established first, before transplanting them into the next level.

Don't go by days, go by root development.

It doesn't need to be root bound like this one, but it does help to have a pretty highly developed root system before transplant, as there's really no need for it, up till that point. The more you develop that core, the better your going to do down the line, and will require less room to do more.

I honestly think that getting that a well developed root ball protects your main stem from many potential problems down the line. If mold/infestation/pathogens get introduced at some point, they'll have a more difficult time penetrating that core, and the plant has a fighting chance.

Build up your roots like a fortress around your camp, just don't over do it either, there's a balance to be had in there somewhere.

Sometimes we talk about all the preventive measures were taking with things, like spraying, or environment, but using the plant itself to hedge itself in is a very simple approach at enhancing a plant's defense mechanic, if care is taken to not over do it.

IMG 20210621 173443390
Last edited:
Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Don't use domes for seedlings they don't need it. It will only add more stress when transplanting going from high to low humidity also.... back the light off as far as possible for 2-3 days after to let em settle in. As was mentioned water the whole pot and should not have an issue.
I am always blown away by the friendly support of the cannabis community. Thanks for your input. I do tend to like the dome as I keep it in the 80% and systematically drop it down to tent conditions prior to transfer. Do you think this methodology is still unnecessary? I just want those early days of root growth to be proper!

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
i sprout all seed in promix in solo cups with holes in bottom so they can drain.
small pot would work too.
fill cup with promix, im usin hp cc this run.
soak cup completely let sit for hour or so till water quits running out bottom
make little hole with finger put in seed
cover with some damp promix
everyday i drip a little water over seed to keep moist
3-4 days walla
best part I keep it in cup for two weeks
it grows real fast no need to transplant for couplenweeks when plant is stronger
and there are lotso roots
I normally go right from solo cup into 7gal pot in 2 weeks

some over think it imo
and I donā€™t ph nu
Appreciate the good advice! I am going to scrap my usage of q plugs and save myself a transfer or two!

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I would say transplant into the solo cups, but more than just 10 days. I would go longer, and you can actually check on them after about 10 days, and see where there at, but I would get a good sized root ball established first, before transplanting them into the next level.

Don't go by days, go by root development.

It doesn't need to be root bound like this one, but it does help to have a pretty highly developed root system before transplant, as there's really no need for it, up till that point. The more you develop that core, the better your going to do down the line, and will require less room to do more.

I honestly think that getting that a well developed root ball protects your main stem from many potential problems down the line. If mold/infestation/pathogens get introduced at some point, they'll have a more difficult time penetrating that core, and the plant has a fighting chance.

Build up your roots like a fortress around your camp, just don't over do it either, there's a balance to be had in there somewhere.

Sometimes we talk about all the preventive measures were taking with things, like spraying, or environment, but using the plant itself to hedge itself in is a very simple approach at enhancing a plant's defense mechanic, if care is taken to not over do it.
Thanks for the reply! Man that is some nice root mass! I am actually trying to mimic your advice about using a strong healthy plant as the best form of biosecurity. I really want to scrap the usage of q plugs but are you suggesting to q plug naked, and transplant into solo cup upon taproot appearance?

Johnny

Latest posts

Top Bottom