Skunk Qabbage-AKbeanbrains-Earth Boxes-Living organic soil

• Thread starter stp
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stp

stp

Started my grow with seeds ordered from AKbeanbrains, This round it’s Skunk Qabbage and my first time in Earth Boxes I bought from Buildasoil. Living organic soil re-used from two grows (Malibu Buildasoil), and one brand new 3.0 bag, mixed them together but it kinda looks like maybe one of these pots either has more of the new stuff or just better genetics so far. The fattest leaves I’ve ever seen so far. Had a funky twist of two leaves when they were babies and it’s hanging around. The youngest one got some burn on the leaves, not sure how. These have been in the box a week and they were small when they went in. These Earth boxes make plants grow fast!

Skunk qabbage akbeanbrains earth boxes living organic soil
Skunk qabbage akbeanbrains earth boxes living organic soil 2
Skunk qabbage akbeanbrains earth boxes living organic soil 3
Skunk qabbage akbeanbrains earth boxes living organic soil 4
stp

stp

Yesterday I mixed some organic compost with Big 6, gypsum, oyster flour, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and castings.

Tonight I mixed some fermented peach extract with water and I sprayed the soil and the all of the plants. I dimmed the lights to help make sure it would not burn them.

BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Love the name skunk cabbage lol. Fantastic name. Tbh i wanna try some more cowbell lol😂

stp

stp

Love the name skunk cabbage lol. Fantastic name. Tbh i wanna try some more cowbell lol😂
That’s not my name…gotta give credit to the man in Alaska. He won breeder of the year in 2019. I am loving how hearty these are already. Afraid they are in too small of a system, I must clone these, but I’m not sure of the gender just yet. It’s early still.

stp

stp

Now it’s getting ridiculous. The only reason I planted two per box was to buffer the male/female ratio but these are growing so fast and are huge (thick stems and 8” leaves). I need to grow big enough to clone but still not sure if they are boys or girls. No signs yet. Too early but…
BA7A5E8F 837C 4E91 982A 877954476F2C
51AA2DD9 75FB 4527 8548 9FBDC0F69255

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Beautiful full plants my guy. The plants seem to really like what you are giving them.
I saw above you talking about cloning or taking cuttings. and was wondering if you always run your lights that intense during veg? Some people initially grow their plants to look like that.

The internodal spacing is really tight on the plants, which could be genetics, but could be light stress as well. Have you tried raising your lights and adjusting intensity just long enough to get them to stretch a little to get some nice cuttings? I'm not a big fan of defoliation in flower, but during veg the benefits are easily observable in almost every strain I have grown, and were I in your shoes wanting to get cuttings, I would cut those big fans out, open everything up with some LST, and back down or raise my lights to get her to stretch some. As healthy as your plants look, they also look really light stressed. Then again to each their own.

L

Loudtreefarms

Never ran the earth boxes but have heard great things about them and the simplicity of them. I do like living soil. Nice job Looking great. Will you be cover cropping, teas, fulvics?

stp

stp

Beautiful full plants my guy. The plants seem to really like what you are giving them.
I saw above you talking about cloning or taking cuttings. and was wondering if you always run your lights that intense during veg? Some people initially grow their plants to look like that.

The internodal spacing is really tight on the plants, which could be genetics, but could be light stress as well. Have you tried raising your lights and adjusting intensity just long enough to get them to stretch a little to get some nice cuttings? I'm not a big fan of defoliation in flower, but during veg the benefits are easily observable in almost every strain I have grown, and were I in your shoes wanting to get cuttings, I would cut those big fans out, open everything up with some LST, and back down or raise my lights to get her to stretch some. As healthy as your plants look, they also look really light stressed. Then again to each their own.
Good suggestions, I’m kinda new so what are the signs of light stress? I am running the lights at about 50% right now, and they were 24” away to start, but now they are a lot closer, it’s time to move them again. I was trying to get them going before I started trimming those huge fan leaves but I will probably do it soon since you suggested it.
They are getting RO water. The soil is build a soil 3.0 and one is two year old Malibu. I refreshed them with organic stuff like gypsum, craft blend, gnarly barley, Rootwise, Gro Kashi, and some big 6 minerals. All from Buildasoil. I ran a cover crop, 12 seed blend, between grows just before planting these, so I hand chopped the cover and threw the mulch covers over it to wilt naturally. There’s a lot of worms in this too. Thanks for the tips!

stp

stp

Never ran the earth boxes but have heard great things about them and the simplicity of them. I do like living soil. Nice job Looking great. Will you be cover cropping, teas, fulvics?
I do cover between grows and chop it right before planting these to feed all the worms. I gave it some Rootwise, I have a lot of shit I can give it but I’m trying to do less this time. It got some top watering of peach extract with water and then they got one foliar of the peach ferment also. My plan is more peach foliar until flip and at flip I will stack top dress soil with some P & K natural stuff from Build a soil. No liquid nutrients. Build a bloom. I did teas last time but I’m trying the peach only this time.

Reactions: PK1
L

Loudtreefarms

Love it man- like I said ur set up and sounds like u have a great plan. The less is more practices is what We use on our farms also. I have no till beds for my outdoor crops and greenhouse that I have had for 7 years now and I swear they get better every year. I am a no till organic gardener at heart. I implement cover crops, kashi blends, mushroom composts ect… and well the plants speak for themselves. Plus living on a farms helps with composting and manure experiments .
Good job - I’ll be watching this one

stp

stp

Jeremy Silva is badass ur set up

Love it man- like I said ur set up and sounds like u have a great plan. The less is more practices is what We use on our farms also. I have no till beds for my outdoor crops and greenhouse that I have had for 7 years now and I swear they get better every year. I am a no till organic gardener at heart. I implement cover crops, kashi blends, mushroom composts ect… and well the plants speak for themselves. Plus living on a farms helps with composting and manure experiments .
Good job - I’ll be watching this one
I am definitely not good at picking up on the plant's signals. I was hoping that growing "no till style" living organic would help eliminate a lot of thinking but I have had issues with each grow so far in the living organic soils. The first two grows were in Fabric pots. First one I did (4) 5 gallons in fox farms soils and the seed was bag seed and they looked awesome (Hashberry) but about 50% into flower with big nugs they went hermie on me. NO idea....light leak, genetics, stress. So Next I went all Jeremy Silva, I even imported his soil. Did a stupid thing and grew two in a (15) gallon because I figured one would turn male and I would end up with one...they were both female. They ended up alright but I had some funky leaf purpling and I thought I might have stunted their growth with too much food and stuff (all organic but I added some other Brands in too. Ended up feeling like it was just bad genetics this time, but the leaves also clawed and have for both of my grows which made me feel like they were not in perfect balance.
That takes me to this grow. 1st time in Earth Boxes, 100% because of Jeremy at BAS. These genetics are obviously unlike anything I've ever grown before. GIANT leaves that I want to cut off but I was worried it might be too early and I should let them use those for a little longer before I do. Fastest growing plants I have EVER grown....genetics or the system? I see roots in the water reservoir, that's a good thing!

L

Loudtreefarms

Ya man that’s what gardening is all about. I love experiments and learning. So what’s up with your environment ? Is that dialed? Cause after genetics environment is most important. Maby issues in the past are arriving through environment? You have an ipm regiment? You will have way less issues with living soil for sure from my experience. I am doing a coco run right now but the next 60 that go in are all living soil. Can’t wait, I might also get or make an earth box.

stp

stp

Ya man that’s what gardening is all about. I love experiments and learning. So what’s up with your environment ? Is that dialed? Cause after genetics environment is most important. Maby issues in the past are arriving through environment? You have an ipm regiment? You will have way less issues with living soil for sure from my experience. I am doing a coco run right now but the next 60 that go in are all living soil. Can’t wait, I might also get or make an earth box.
I am inside a bedroom, inside a 4x4 tent. The first time did a mix of Neem, Clove oil, & Peppermint Bonners soap spray. I felt like I needed it because I had Fox Farms soil that seems to be be known for carrying fungus gnats sometimes. So between a couple sprays of that stuff, the teas I used to feed and spray, and the yellow sticky cards, they did not get bad. In reality I think i killed them by watering less and using a thick layer of compost on the top, which after watering, created an armor shell. The second time I decided to order soil from BAS. That stuff has never had any issues with gnats or anything else, there are a lot of beneficial insects cruising in this soil, it's very active. I gave up the IPM because I was growing from seed and not bringing anything in from the outside. I have not seen the need for it, do you think I should always do it just to be safe?

As for the tent, it has an oversized AC Infinity 6" exhaust with carbon filter hanging inside the tent, exhausting outside the room into my house (lame but there's no other good option). The tent runs 68-85 right now, it's winter in San Diego, the house is not AC'd. The lights on FULL blast will add 10-12 degrees. They always run hotter than I would like but I can't do AC because AMPs and old house wiring. RH is steady and controllable, I can add or remove it if I have to. Right now it's 65%RH and I am not adding any, so I am fine with that.

I just chopped a bunch of leaves and sprayed them with a fermented peach extract & water mix, dimmed the lights]

L

Loudtreefarms

I am inside a bedroom, inside a 4x4 tent. The first time did a mix of Neem, Clove oil, & Peppermint Bonners soap spray. I felt like I needed it because I had Fox Farms soil that seems to be be known for carrying fungus gnats sometimes. So between a couple sprays of that stuff, the teas I used to feed and spray, and the yellow sticky cards, they did not get bad. In reality I think i killed them by watering less and using a thick layer of compost on the top, which after watering, created an armor shell. The second time I decided to order soil from BAS. That stuff has never had any issues with gnats or anything else, there are a lot of beneficial insects cruising in this soil, it's very active. I gave up the IPM because I was growing from seed and not bringing anything in from the outside. I have not seen the need for it, do you think I should always do it just to be safe?

As for the tent, it has an oversized AC Infinity 6" exhaust with carbon filter hanging inside the tent, exhausting outside the room into my house (lame but there's no other good option). The tent runs 68-85 right now, it's winter in San Diego, the house is not AC'd. The lights on FULL blast will add 10-12 degrees. They always run hotter than I would like but I can't do AC because AMPs and old house wiring. RH is steady and controllable, I can add or remove it if I have to. Right now it's 65%RH and I am not adding any, so I am fine with that.

I just chopped a bunch of leaves and sprayed them with a fermented peach extract & water mix, dimmed the lights]
I think an ipm regiment is always super important.
I am running (2) big greenhouses, outdoor and indoor so it is imperative to me . It is a must on my farm But yes I think u should be running some sort of IPM. If that means walking through daily inspecting, or introducing beneficials, or spraying a certified foliar spray that will pass inspections…ya I would do it no matter what. That’s how u keep them away is being proactive and not reactive.

Check out vpd and see how your environment sits in those ranges. Watch humidity as you cruise into flower. I’m in northern Cali and it has been wet and cold(finally) and my room only temp swings about 5 degrees. Maby see if you can lock down that 82 ish degree temp if your runnin led and drop hum. to high 50s.

check out dli also so u know what’s up with your light intake from plants.

sounds like u got it hammered down pretty well.

my coco project-

22E158A2 2641 449A 8C32 EC70E8860D93
stp

stp

I think an ipm regiment is always super important.
I am running (2) big greenhouses, outdoor and indoor so it is imperative to me . It is a must on my farm But yes I think u should be running some sort of IPM. If that means walking through daily inspecting, or introducing beneficials, or spraying a certified foliar spray that will pass inspections…ya I would do it no matter what. That’s how u keep them away is being proactive and not reactive.

Check out vpd and see how your environment sits in those ranges. Watch humidity as you cruise into flower. I’m in northern Cali and it has been wet and cold(finally) and my room only temp swings about 5 degrees. Maby see if you can lock down that 82 ish degree temp if your runnin led and drop hum. to high 50s.

check out dli also so u know what’s up with your light intake from plants.

sounds like u got it hammered down pretty well.

my coco project-
Thats a lot of work right there! My goal was to try and get a grow where it’s very simple, plain RO water, and some LST/defoliation and that is it. I topped two on the right, the breeder says he doesn’t top these and they will stack up tight like a christmas tree. I may leave the left side alone, I’m not sure how that will workout. Last night I thinned them out a lot, then sprayed them with Fermented peach. This morning they looked happy but there’s some/an issue I see.

868CAF6E E2A0 4929 A975 B7C6A7A33006
41890CE1 6436 43EC A4B8 6BA4126C18DD
7A6421BC CD0F 42EB 949B CF6AC773C319
  • Sad
Top Bottom