Sledgehammer killed my girl??

• Thread starter Abbazabba22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

I’m 7 weeks into flower, yesterday I watered with sledgehammer, started using humboldt sweet and sticky so I mixed that in too. I grow in soil, use reverse osmosis, ph water, and never use higher then recommended nutes. About an hour after watering one of my plants completely shriveled up. Almost every single leaf curled up and in. Today the leaves are drying out and getting crispy. They’re all still green but sure doesn’t seem like it’s coming out of it... None of the other plants looked any different. Has anybody had issues with sledgehammer before? Opinions on mixing sweet and sticky?

Organikz

Organikz

I’m 7 weeks into flower, yesterday I watered with sledgehammer, started using humboldt sweet and sticky so I mixed that in too. I grow in soil, use reverse osmosis, ph water, and never use higher then recommended nutes. About an hour after watering one of my plants completely shriveled up. Almost every single leaf curled up and in. Today the leaves are drying out and getting crispy. They’re all still green but sure doesn’t seem like it’s coming out of it... None of the other plants looked any different. Has anybody had issues with sledgehammer before? Opinions on mixing sweet and sticky?
Sledgehammer is yucca extract and water. It cannot burn plants...literally no amount can burn

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sledgehammer is yucca extract and water. It cannot burn plants...literally no amount can burn

I have been thinking about this post. Think maybe the pots were packed with nutes and locked up and the sledgehammer (stupid name for a flushing agent) helped break it up and the plant took too much up at once after the flush? With an overfed plant that couldn't take anymore?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

got any pic of the plant?sledgehammer wasnt the culprit,so answer a question ,why are you using ro water in your soil ,just curious? im thinking you have a lock out,look into the combination of both products you used and see if they clash, just like wood ash and lime,they collide and fight each other locking out the rest at times

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
got any pic of the plant?sledgehammer wasnt the culprit,so answer a question ,why are you using ro water in your soil ,just curious? im thinking you have a lock out,look into the combination of both products you used and see if they clash, just like wood ash and lime,they collide and fight each other locking out the rest at times
The first thing I would do is to flush out the bad plant with regular water, unless it is dangerous or extremely alkaline. For your plants to turn that quickly, it sounds like a massive overload of salts, since most fertilizers are actually salts of chemicals and too much can draw the water out of plants... the opposite of what you want. I'm not familiar with either product, do you have any idea what your Ph is? Ph swings can lock out or release nutrients, making diagnosis difficult. With something so drastic and quick, it sounds like an osmotic issue pulling water out of the plant.

Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

Ph of runoff was 5.9 and I have a soil probe that reads about 6.3. The ppms were 1,800 after using the sledgehammer then did a flush of just ro water (which I use because I have a well and very hard water) last night and ppms were way up, over 4,000 :opps:
So the reply that said the sledgehammer released built up nutes makes sense. Here are a couple pics, they’re not the greatest but you can see the leaves all curled up around the buds. Fan leaves are all twisted and it just looks pathetic. Probably start flushing with straight water after sledgehammer from now on. Just not sure if I should harvest or wait it out trying to get ppms down. Not sure if she’s dead or just hurting...

1D9CA9E6 4F87 4214 8530 5200C570A8C5
50D780EE 4EA9 4856 AC37 61A126E6128B
  • Sad
Reactions: Ina
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

1800 ppms at .5 conversion? I have never gone over 900 even with a half pound dry yielding big bush. How you packed in 4000 i cant imagine.

You need to flush and immediately remove the runoff and maybe you can save some.

You can run water in the sink or shower with no tray to drain them out more immediately. Dont use too much pressure and disturb too much soil. I would use fresh water until the runoff comes out clearish and shows maybe 600 ppms max.

Its all you can really do at this point.

Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

What is the .5 conversion? I just take runoff put through coffee filter and test with ppm meter. Thats another issue I wanted to ask about, I have had close to 6000 ppms a few weeks from harvest. Use fox farm nutes and like I said never go over and use a little less then they recommend. We can’t figure out why our ppms run so high. Plants don’t look burned which seems like they should with ppms being so high. People say keep in the hundreds and ours are always reading in the thousands... we follow fox farm soil feeding schedule and sledgehammer/flush as recommended.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Your meter could need calibration but that burned plant screams fertilized to a crisp.

.5 conversion is normal for ppm. It is half of the EC or electrical conductivity which is how these meters read the nutrient content. But some nutrient companies and meter makers use .7 conversion factor from the ec.

And a full dose of the fox farm trio alone is like 4x too much from my experience. I ended up at peak flowering using maybe a third of the directions max.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
What is the .5 conversion? I just take runoff put through coffee filter and test with ppm meter. Thats another issue I wanted to ask about, I have had close to 6000 ppms a few weeks from harvest. Use fox farm nutes and like I said never go over and use a little less then they recommend. We can’t figure out why our ppms run so high. Plants don’t look burned which seems like they should with ppms being so high. People say keep in the hundreds and ours are always reading in the thousands... we follow fox farm soil feeding schedule and sledgehammer/flush as recommended.

.7 conversion is used more in Europe and the UK but good meters let you select the conversion ratio.

I think MiMed nailed it. The surfactant made the crusted up nutes available and fried her. And she looks toasted beyond salvage... Fubar. But you should be able to salvage the resin for hash making. I'd still try and flush it out to see what happens.
But dont expect ANY of the foliage to come back. It's done. Just keep an eye on the buds.

Could have even been a clump of ferts causing a hotspot in the soil from the facility its packaged in. I had a similar issue trying a new soil mix last run. After its first feeding at 500ppm my runoff was coming out at 4000+ppm. Gone back to proterra for the extra measure of control it gives me.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Ph of runoff was 5.9 and I have a soil probe that reads about 6.3. The ppms were 1,800 after using the sledgehammer then did a flush of just ro water (which I use because I have a well and very hard water) last night and ppms were way up, over 4,000 :opps:

Holy overfeeding, Batman!

That's a fuck ton of nutes there. Sledgehammer is probably irrelevant, Ironically, your pH is so perfect that everything is perfectly available. No good deed goes unpunished.

Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

I have 2 ppm meters usually use both, they read a few hundred apart so they must be a different conversion. So I don’t need to cut what my ppm meter is reading right? It was just mentioned that there are different factors built into the meter?
I just wanted to push them to get the highest yield but looking like the consensus is cut way back on my fox farm feeding schedule from the beginning, and flush the plant that’s looking dead but probably just have to use it for edibles? What a bummer she was looking so good 😭

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I have 2 ppm meters usually use both, they read a few hundred apart so they must be a different conversion. So I don’t need to cut what my ppm meter is reading right? It was just mentioned that there are different factors built into the meter?
I just wanted to push them to get the highest yield but looking like the consensus is cut way back on my fox farm feeding schedule from the beginning, and flush the plant that’s looking dead but probably just have to use it for edibles? What a bummer she was looking so good 😭
For future reference, you can't push yield from nutes. Until a plant has excess light and CO2, it can't use more nutes. I use 3/4 strength, once a week. I average 2 lbs/plant

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I suspect my mix is about 600 ppm of Botanicare. I'll measure next time.
[edit] just calculated it. My mix is about 300ppm over the 220 ppm of the tap water. Grows trees.

Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

Thanks for all the replies and advice. We do run co2, but have had ppms so high a couple weeks from harvest we have to stop feeding before the feeding schedule is complete... next run I’ll back them way down as hard as it will be lol trial and error. Plus the expense of full strength nutes adds up and if they’ll do better without them it’s a win win!

Abbazabba22

Abbazabba22

Just flushed with 15 gallons, got ppms down to 650. Fingers crossed she’ll be smokable. Here’s some better pics.

54206184 5953 4C85 95F5 9A04BA058BEC
B3C4678D 63AC 4F2E 8390 4AD00AAD2D80
4FF26082 DAC1 41FD B454 5FF616E6C54F
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I don't know that the plants will recover, and if they do, they will be badly damaged and probably not worth saving. One good thing is that the excess fertilizer will pull the water out of the plant, keeping it from taking in all of those excess nutes, so the buds should still be OK.
On a side note, did you try reading just the PPMs from the cactus juice? That is an awful large buildup and your Ph didn't seem too bad.

Oldman13

Oldman13

You know I bought some Sledgehammer under the misconception that I had drenched soil that's my plants where in on a regular basis very dirty. But you know what I don't overdose my young ladies with tons of chemical Foods or any food for that matter! I mean you could say I would under feed them more than over feed them and I was studying up on this soil drenching process which is quite cumbersome it creates a lot of unnecessary extra work it doesn't need to happen unless you are one of these people that pumps so much food/ chemicals suspended in salts in their poor young ladies, that it actually is going to affect the outcome of your Harvest!? Well I'll tell you what I don't want any of your smoke ever if that's what you do I swear if I can taste chemicals are food in your plants you're definitely doing something wrong if you ask me anyway I tried to drenching process using bushdoctor sledgehammer for a little while and know what it didn't change a damn thing except for me constantly moving all this excess water to the drain! So those who feel they have two drench constantly all the time maybe you should study up a little bit because from what I read and learn. You don't need to do it unless you're one of those people! Oh yeah by the way Bush doctor Sledgehammer had no effect on the health of my young ladies! Are you sure you didn't use a real sledgehammer? One thing I did have a problem with so or something called Serenade kill white powdery mildew I had to destroy my entire Garden due to the fact the warden copped a little wiff of the stuff through closed doors in my basement and it blistered her lips oh my God imagine if she would have actually smoked some of it anyway I still had to destroy 25 young ladies and it had no effect on me whatsoever by the way but still what did you do the warden is just unacceptable

Oldman13

Oldman13

You know I bought some Sledgehammer under the misconception that I had drenched soil that's my plants where in on a regular basis very dirty. But you know what I don't overdose my young ladies with tons of chemical Foods or any food for that matter! I mean you could say I would under feed them more than over feed them and I was studying up on this soil drenching process which is quite cumbersome it creates a lot of unnecessary extra work it doesn't need to happen unless you are one of these people that pumps so much food/ chemicals suspended in salts in their poor young ladies, that it actually is going to affect the outcome of your Harvest!? Well I'll tell you what I don't want any of your smoke ever if that's what you do I swear if I can taste chemicals are food in your plants you're definitely doing something wrong if you ask me anyway I tried to drenching process using bushdoctor sledgehammer for a little while and know what it didn't change a damn thing except for me constantly moving all this excess water to the drain! So those who feel they have two drench constantly all the time maybe you should study up a little bit because from what I read and learn. You don't need to do it unless you're one of those people! Oh yeah by the way Bush doctor Sledgehammer had no effect on the health of my young ladies! Are you sure you didn't use a real sledgehammer? One thing I did have a problem with so or something called Serenade kill white powdery mildew I had to destroy my entire Garden due to the fact the warden copped a little wiff of the stuff through closed doors in my basement and it blistered her lips oh my God imagine if she would have actually smoked some of it anyway I still had to destroy 25 young ladies and it had no effect on me whatsoever by the way but still what did you do the warden is just unacceptable
Please excuse any typos they showed up in there and excuse me for not punctuating! I'm pretty sure though you can read past my dreaded typo fever and non punctuation! sorry it's just one big long sentence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom