Slime forming on roots and bottom of net cups

• Thread starter Jbr07002
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jbr07002

Jbr07002

I've had seedlings that I started in rockwool in a dwc set up for 4 days now. I've got them in 3" net cups with clay pebbles in a 27 gallon tote that i'm running two 6" air stones in. The only thing I've done to the water is adjust the PH to low 6's and add GH Floragrow per the directions on the bottle. Water level is slightly above the bottom of the net cups. I should probably note that this set up is outdoors.

This morning I noticed that a couple of the net pots have slime on the bottom of them, the one seedling who's root has extended into the water has slime on it as well, and it looks like some of the rockwool does too.

I've heard mixed things about slime/algae in dwc. Some algae is good vs. some algae is bad, you should remove it vs. you shouldn't, etc. Can anyone help clarify? I am concerned some root rot or other issues may be in my future.

Netcup
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

If you aren't using an anti-fungal agent, get some. Hydro-Guard, or Southern AG. I almost killed my first plants because I didn't protect them well enough.
How is the temperature of the water? I've been told it should be kept below 70F if possible.
How much air are you pushing to those stones? (what pump?)

Jbr07002

Jbr07002

Yea, not running any anti-fungal agent, i'll get some. I haven't been monitoring the temps, but they should be 70 or under most of the time. Here's the pump i'm using: Link

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Yea, not running any anti-fungal agent, i'll get some. I haven't been monitoring the temps, but they should be 70 or under most of the time. Here's the pump i'm using: Link

The link didn't survive the posting gremlins 🙁

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

The link worked for me, stats are:

HITOP 2 Outlets Aquarium Air Pump Ultra Quiet
Size:13*5.7*7cm/5.1*2.2*2.8in
Power: 3W, 120V/60Hz Flow: 2 - 4L/min Pressure: 22Kpa

According to this link: https://gardengearshop.com/what-size-air-pump-for-5-gallon-dwc/ DWC plants need 1/2 liter per minute of air for each gallon of water. @Jbr07002 - this could also be an issue!!! You posted that you have a 27 gallon tote. Assuming 22 gallons of water, you need a pump that puts out at least 11 liters per minute of air. I suspect your plants are also suffocating from under aerated water. 😢

Here's the pump I'm using on 2 x 5 gallon buckets. (2 stones per bucket)
https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Active-Aqua-Pump-Outlets/dp/B002JPEVMC/

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's not the bubble that create gas exchange or the amount of air being pushed through. It's the surface agitation that creates gas exchange. The more surface are you can agitate the better. In a short wide tote I would recommend more smaller airstones than 1 big one.

It's also important to match the pump to the stones or they won't function properly and you won't get as good of surface agitation.

Say for instance the standard 4x2 cylinder airstone. Each requires 8-10 lpm. So add up how many stone you are using and by the appropriate pump. To much or to little volume will make them less effective. This has to do with bubble size and volume. To little you get a single file stream. To much ( not as bad) you get uneven large and small bubbles and less coverage.

Jbr07002

Jbr07002

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to check out my pump and stone to make sure I'm doing alright. Update: I took an old towel and make some holes for my plants to poke through and covered the entire tote to block any possible light pollution. With a yellow lid, I was a little worried it wasn't totally dark in there. After a couple of days, no more slime on the roots or the net cups. There is a little slime remaining on the insides of the tote and my air hoses. I added the hydroguard and with my water change due in a few days, i'll do a full clean of the tote before bringing the system back on line.

Jbr07002

Jbr07002

While I wait to change my water and for my new pump to come in, figured I'd get your guys' thoughts on the current appearance of some of my plants. These are almost 3 weeks old and while some seem to be growing healthy and symmetrically, some of them don't seem the same. Some, the leaves appear a little wrinkled so to speak, and as the new leaves grow in, they are coming in disproportionately (one big one small) and starting to curl. Any thoughts on this? Could be the issues I already discovered in this thread, but maybe some others as well? For reference, these plants are about 3.5" tall. P.S. - don't mind the duct tape covering the seams in my towel cover I mentioned previously. Doesn't have to be pretty, just has to make plants that are pretty, right 😆 ?

Maybe Not
Healthy
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
While I wait to change my water and for my new pump to come in, figured I'd get your guys' thoughts on the current appearance of some of my plants. These are almost 3 weeks old and while some seem to be growing healthy and symmetrically, some of them don't seem the same. Some, the leaves appear a little wrinkled so to speak, and as the new leaves grow in, they are coming in disproportionately (one big one small) and starting to curl. Any thoughts on this? Could be the issues I already discovered in this thread, but maybe some others as well? For reference, these plants are about 3.5" tall. P.S. - don't mind the duct tape covering the seams in my towel cover I mentioned previously. Doesn't have to be pretty, just has to make plants that are pretty, right 😆 ?

What duct tape? 😉

DistyDemon

DistyDemon

8+yrs of cloning, I've never seen that issue. Or any issue like this. I have strict SOP's I follow, especially a very thorough cleaning process.

Below is my results each and every time I clone.

There is nothing but tap h2o, ph to xxx ph, and a rooting powder.
Thays it. Easy peasy

20200502 184830

Top Bottom