Slow Bud Development + Spotting on Leaves + Possible Hermie, First Grow, Day 44 of 12/12

• Thread starter tinyfingerstinyfeet
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The looser parts of the coco on top do dry but I'd say most of the top layer is still fairly moist. I'm struggling to measure PPM accurately, I have no way of collecting the water before it hits the tray underneath which has salt buildup, I just stuck the ppm meter in the runoff water in the tray and some parts of the tray were 600ppm, and others were 2000+, so i need to figure out how to do this, I'll upload a photo.
Put it over a clean tray and feed.

The top should never dry. I would feed em at about 700-800ppm 2 times a day but probably need a flush and feed to get things sorted

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Put it over a clean tray and feed.

The top should never dry. I would feed em at about 700-800ppm 2 times a day but probably need a flush and feed to get things sorted

I wish I could but the plants are all under a SCROG net, so removing or replacing the trays would be really difficult and I'd risk breaking branches for sure.

Maybe tomorrow or later tonight I will just flush then feed anyway.

There are also these tiny bugs, they've been there for months, and not many, I assume they are fungus gnats but I have never seen larvae even when looking and usually I only see 2 - 4 of them throughout the process of watering them everyday, they fly around and def love the fabric pots but there is no larvae and no signs of pests, I don't think this is the cause of the issues but figured I should bring it up, have just been scared to use any products this late in flower.

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Here's a pic of under the net, I'm thinking maybe if I just water again, then measure the run off quickly the salts in the tray will not have had a chance to be absorbed into the liquid?

IMG 3059 1

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can try sticky yel pads and mosquito dunks to get rid of the bugs.

If you flush you want to use cal mag at about 150ppm. Run 3 times the volume of the pot through the media so 15 gal each. Then mix up nutrients at 700ppm and run 5 gal of that for each pot through. That will help bring the media CEC and PPM back in balance and not leave them starving.

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Im gonna say its highly highly likely the ppm is very high

Alright, well maybe I should get started on this process of flushing, 15 gal of water is a bunch, thats like 60 litres, I usually only mix up 16L/4 gallons everyday! I don't even have a container to mix that up in, my largest bucket is 20 litres. I need to go buy a new bottle of CalMag.

So just to confirm with you, what I'm gonna do is get 55 litres of water for each plant, add 150ppm worth of CalMag, so my tap water comes out at 150ppm, ill add enough CalMag to hit 300PPM.

Then I should mix up a nute mix and water again, I just did my usual daily watering an hour ago, but happy to do this now if you think itll help me out with my problems

I really appreciate you taking the time to help by the way.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thats what I was thinking too, just odd that is surrounded by trichs, also hasn't changed in shape, size, color or appearance in the past 3 days since I first noticed it, really praying it is sterile. I need to remove it ASAP.
Not odd, that's a typical seedpod, sorry for your bad luck!

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Can try sticky yel pads and mosquito dunks to get rid of the bugs.

If you flush you want to use cal mag at about 150ppm. Run 3 times the volume of the pot through the media so 15 gal each. Then mix up nutrients at 700ppm and run 5 gal of that for each pot through. That will help bring the media CEC and PPM back in balance and not leave them starving.

Heading to the hydro shop now for more CalMag and a big container for the water, will report back in 2 - 3 hours after I've done the flush and everything.

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Just look on the bright side... Its a lot of work but you will fix the issue

Haha hopefully, hope you are around later today, many thanks for all the help! The cannabis growing community is some of the most helpful people I've encountered in my life!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You should be using 1 litre of nutrient solution to get 100-200ml of runoff if your not getting runoff from that then your not watering often enough

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

You should be using 1 litre of nutrient solution to get 100-200ml of runoff if your not getting runoff from that then your not watering often enough

It usually takes me more than that, around 2 - 3 litres to get a bit of runoff. I just finished flushing them, I couldn't give them as much water as you said but they got 32 litres of CalMag water each + 8 litres of nute mix @ 750ppm after that. Lots of runoff was coming out so I feel like they were flushed pretty good. Do you recommend I just keep feeding the 750ppm mix twice a day?

Will keep updating this if things get bettter or worse. Hoping to see some explosive growth on the buds these next couple weeks too.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It usually takes me more than that, around 2 - 3 litres to get a bit of runoff. I just finished flushing them, I couldn't give them as much water as you said but they got 32 litres of CalMag water each + 8 litres of nute mix @ 750ppm after that. Lots of runoff was coming out so I feel like they were flushed pretty good. Do you recommend I just keep feeding the 750ppm mix twice a day?

Will keep updating this if things get bettter or worse. Hoping to see some explosive growth on the buds these next couple weeks too.
Water them with a litre each. If they get 100-200ml of runoff you good if not increase the number of time you water them.

800ish is about where ya wanna be ppm wise.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Measure ppm in and out. It should not go more than 200ppm higher than what you put in.

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Water them with a litre each. If they get 100-200ml of runoff you good if not increase the number of time you water them.

800ish is about where ya wanna be ppm wise.

Watered them at 820PPM, sadly couldn't measure the runoff ppm cause of the whole scrogging situation, but I think the flush was a good idea and will help. The plants needed more than a litre to get to run-off, but I'm going to begin feeding them twice a day starting today, so they were just fed and then 2 hours before lights off tonight I'll feed them again, I think I should need less water to hit run-off then. I also simplified their feed, I figured I don't really understand all of the supplements so I'd rather just stick to the base nutes and try and get this on lock before I start adding a bunch of shit to their feed. Right now they're getting 6ml/gal Micro, 11ml/gal Bloom, 4ml/gal CalMag. I think this should be a good feed for them till harvest.

Would you be doing any defoliation this late in flower (~6 and a half weeks)? There is lots of branching and leaves shading bud sites, I did a couple bigger defoliations early in flower and have since just been removing 1 or 2 leaves every 1-2 days, but I'm worried about negatively affecting my yield. I also picked 2 seeds out of one plant, but I haven't been able to find any others on any other plants, I found what looked to be male pollen sacks lower on that plant as well, but they were dying/wilted/shrivelled up, so I just easily picked them off and threw them away. I think this plant herm'd because I stressed it + the shitty genetics, its frosty af but not an easy one to grow, at least compared to the GELAT.OG...

Also, would you be removing the larfy branches so that the plants can focus on the larger main colas for its last few weeks in flower, or do you think the stress would outweigh any possible benefits? The GG#4 branched out like crazy during the stretch, so I'm expecting lots of bitch buds. Here's a pic of what I mean, I was thinking I could just remove them and smoke them for fun if it'll benefit the plant, but if it's better to leave them I have no problem waiting.

IMG 5039

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and I wanted to share some of the photos of the nugs! I'm happy with these girls and I'm super excited for harvest.

IMG 3098
IMG 3102

Much love

tinyfingerstinyfeet

tinyfingerstinyfeet

Also how do you guys loosen up the top of the coco without damaging the root system? I have what is basically a giant fork made for this but whenever I try to loosen it up I feel like I'm either not accomplishing anything or I'm just digging into the roots that are close to the surface.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also how do you guys loosen up the top of the coco without damaging the root system? I have what is basically a giant fork made for this but whenever I try to loosen it up I feel like I'm either not accomplishing anything or I'm just digging into the roots that are close to the surface.
If it stays wet you should never need to. The top should never dry

Latest posts

Top Bottom