Slow growth and spots in leaves, root rot?

• Thread starter Tris
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tris

Hello, I'm on week 3 since sprouting of my autoflower plants.
The plant on the left seems to be growing fine, I have bent the main stem at 75 degrees with a 3d printed lst clip.
The one on the right however, seems to be growing very slow, and have the roots slightly brown.
I'm growing in a sterile environment because it's impossible to get hydroguard or similar in my country.
Also the smaller one seems to be developing some sort of brown dead spots, what could it be?
Also, being autos in hydro, do they seem a too small for their age?
Thanks
Slow growth and spots in leaves root rot
Slow growth and spots in leaves root rot 2
Slow growth and spots in leaves root rot 3

2Bad

2Bad

I'm not a hydro guy. But your VPD is off by a little. I'm sure someone will have a better response. But I'd definetly adjust your VPD.

T

Tris

I now see that the tips of the plant are getting a bit yellow, But its just 1mm of the tips, very small.
My PPM are arround 700 so i doubt its that.

2Bad

2Bad

I now see that the tips of the plant are getting a bit yellow, But its just 1mm of the tips, very small.
My PPM are arround 700 so i doubt its that.
Looks like light stress

Habosabin

Habosabin

When I zoom in it looks like brown stuff in the bundles. If that brown color is snot like you have root rot.

The3luedevil666

The3luedevil666

Hello, I'm on week 3 since sprouting of my autoflower plants.
The plant on the left seems to be growing fine, I have bent the main stem at 75 degrees with a 3d printed lst clip.
The one on the right however, seems to be growing very slow, and have the roots slightly brown.
I'm growing in a sterile environment because it's impossible to get hydroguard or similar in my country.
Also the smaller one seems to be developing some sort of brown dead spots, what could it be?
Also, being autos in hydro, do they seem a too small for their age?
Thanks
View attachment 1236115View attachment 1236116View attachment 1236117
How far is bottom of basket from water? Is it sitting in the water or above? Also do the roots smell?looks like root rot. H2o2 will fix root rot.what is your water temperature? Do you have a chiller?

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

PH? Is air pump shutting off at all? Based on the lack of shoots coming from the long root braid, I'd guess they don't like the water.. could be too much ppm, or not enough dissolved oxygen, high temp, infection.. if you can use some frozen water bottles and less PPM, with 5.2 to 5.8PH then they can recover I think..

T

Tris

How far is bottom of basket from water? Is it sitting in the water or above? Also do the roots smell?looks like root rot. H2o2 will fix root rot.what is your water temperature? Do you have a chiller?
1 inch or more above the water, they don't smell bad, I'm adding a product for that, I think it's diluted pool shock or something similar (have received.feedback from many growers that it works)
Mi water is between 16 and 22, when it goes up I will add a frozen water bottle.

T

Tris

PH? Is air pump shutting off at all? Based on the lack of shoots coming from the long root braid, I'd guess they don't like the water.. could be too much ppm, or not enough dissolved oxygen, high temp, infection.. if you can use some frozen water bottles and less PPM, with 5.2 to 5.8PH then they can recover I think..
pH is 5.7/6, the pump is working 24/7.
I now see some roots growing from the main root, and they look white, will see how they develop.
I'm using the frozen water, what should my ppm be?

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

pH is 5.7/6, the pump is working 24/7.
I now see some roots growing from the main root, and they look white, will see how they develop.
I'm using the frozen water, what should my ppm be?

Not sure the appropriate PPM but for reference my 4 plants in this pic share 500 ppm and don't show any deficiency, based on my limited hydro experience i just feel 700 may be high at that stage. my nutrients say like 3 ml per L increasing per week. and I use something around that. For 3 weeks they don't look that behind, in the next week they should start growing rapidly

20220413 121025
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I agree with the above that high PPMs will cause problems and generally the recommended dosage from the nute manufacturer is double what it should be but there are many factors.

Curious how you got root rot with pool shock in the water. You shouldn't see slime or anything like that - a biofilm does not grow in sterile water. Is this just lighting or are those roots dark?

T

Tris

I agree with the above that high PPMs will cause problems and generally the recommended dosage from the nute manufacturer is double what it should be but there are many factors.

Curious how you got root rot with pool shock in the water. You shouldn't see slime or anything like that - a biofilm does not grow in sterile water. Is this just lighting or are those roots dark?
I dont see a biofilm, the roots are brownish, but im not sure if it is from the nutes. one plant whas perfectly white on wednesday, i changed the water, added more nutes and its now brown as well.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Gonna need more info on the pool shock what when how much.

In a sterile res the levels must be maintained. H2O2, chlorine, they all need to be continuously added through the grow.

Nutes do not discolor roots as I have seen posted many times. Roots do become discolored with chemicals used to sterilize, it doesn’t just kill bacteria they also kill plant cells. Balance is the key. Too much and you impact root function too little and you get root rot.

Top Bottom