Slow Root Growth

• Thread starter RoeBuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Just getting back into growing again after some illness and have run into an issue I can't get a handle on. Wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

I'm running an UCXL8 system using H&G Aqua Flakes nutes. Seeds were started in rock wool plugs and then placed in larger rock wool cubes. Once the roots were poking about 1/4" out of the rock wool cubes they were placed in the system. That was 18 days ago and I've had little root growth since. I've been keeping the plants going by pouring some RDWC solution over the rock wool ever 3-4 days. I'm running RO water, the Aqua Flakes at 3 ml per gallon, 130 ppm of cal/mag, Multi Zen and Nitrogen Boost at the recommended rate. Clorox bleach at .35 - .5 ppm. Normally I would have roots well into the solution by this point. Right now I only have a few that have extended below the raised section of the UC net pots and none that have reached the solution. Any suggestions on what to do to stimulate some root growth would be greatly appreciated.

ken dog

ken dog

I might raise the water level until I got to where I know the roots are at this point, and let the water level drop naturally until I reached the level you are at now.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I've already got the water level about as high as it can go. To get the roots I currently have directly into the solution I'd have to swap out the UC net pots with the raised centers to the standard type without the raised centers. I've stopped wetting the rock wool in the hope it will force the roots to reach for the water instead of feeding directly from the rock wool.

J

JohnnyRey

Usually when I just start to plant I water from the top till I see some little roots coming down the middle then I let the water level slowly decline as ken dog recommended.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

Sounds like you are doing all that you can do.

I can't think of anything else, which is why I posted, hoping someone else might have a suggestion. I'm seeing heavy mag deficiency so have been giving them foliar treatments of cal/mag but it's not helping much. Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

MurderVille

MurderVille

What EC were you running? Are you still having this problem? If not how did you go about correcting it?

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I was the water level being too low. Once I raised it up a bit the root growth exploded. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Top Bottom