Slow to begin flowering

• Thread starter Happysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Hey all,
I have a princess Leia plant growing with some others, all are from bag seed, or rather dispensary seeds. All have received the same treatments. I flipped the switch 17 days ago. All other plants are flowering as expected, albeit some at a faster pace than others. All except the Leia in question. This plant seems to just grow taller, bud sites are not developing and the structure of the plant looks off. So I guess my question is if this strain is slow to start flowering? Or does it have something wrong with it? Bad genetics? Should I cut my losses so to speak and chop it now? Here is a pic of the plant. Thanks for any advice offered, I appreciate it.

Slow to begin flowering

Irishking

Irishking

Naw man it way too early in flowering. Maybe your doing something to stunt the growth? What are ur ppm and ph? I’d give it about a month or so if u don’t see bud forming then u prob won’t get anything. Flowering takes long, some sativa can take up to 10 week.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Naw man it way too early in flowering. Maybe your doing something to stunt the growth? What are ur ppm and ph? I’d give it about a month or so if u don’t see bud forming then u prob won’t get anything. Flowering takes long, some sativa can take up to 10 week.
Thanks for the response. Not sure about ppm as I have been running dry ferts with some teas. I also used some FF bloom about a week ago-ish. pH is 6.5 very consistently. All the others are doing pretty good and received the same treatment. This strain is "supposed" to have a 60ish day flower period. My concern is that it looks odd, the stipules seem large and more plentiful and new growth not looking like the rest. I thought maybe it was a sign of some issue or maybe just a genetic thing? I will wait till I hit the month Mark and see what it looks like. Hopefully it will flower soon. Thanks again.

Irishking

Irishking

Hey all,
I have a princess Leia plant growing with some others, all are from bag seed, or rather dispensary seeds. All have received the same treatments. I flipped the switch 17 days ago. All other plants are flowering as expected, albeit some at a faster pace than others. All except the Leia in question. This plant seems to just grow taller, bud sites are not developing and the structure of the plant looks off. So I guess my question is if this strain is slow to start flowering? Or does it have something wrong with it? Bad genetics? Should I cut my losses so to speak and chop it now? Here is a pic of the plant. Thanks for any advice offered, I appreciate it.

View attachment 940469
Yea it may b genetics, or even abit of stress. Check for pollen sacs or anything that show signs of male also. Growing problems are the worst. Very hard to figure exactly what going on LOL.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Yeah, she grew like 4" it seems over night. Maybe just very sativa pheno? IDK, I am no expert and have only grown hybrids and Indicas. I have been watching her pretty close though and have not seen anything hermy or male looking yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

at 17 days & no pistols, hmm id give it 10 days more then if no pistols pull it! Even 11 week strains have nice bud sets at 14-15 days typically but maybe a pure mexican sativa from seed wouldn't

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

at 17 days & no pistols, hmm id give it 10 days more then if no pistols pull it! Even 11 week strains have nice bud sets at 14-15 days typically but maybe a pure mexican sativa from seed wouldn't
It does have some white pistols but that's it, they have not changed size or shape in a week or so since showing. And not really seeing any buds starting at all. Although it is growing stretching and drinking plenty. The structure of the plant looks quite a bit different than the rest as well. I will give it a bit more time to see what happens.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah, she grew like 4" it seems over night. Maybe just very sativa pheno? IDK, I am no expert and have only grown hybrids and Indicas. I have been watching her pretty close though and have not seen anything hermy or male looking yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

I have had sativa leaning hybrids that took over 4 weeks to show real flowers forming and still flowered 8 more weeks. Usually strong sativa effects from flowers like that. And high yield too. There are a few in my thread that ended up with huge buds.

Good luck. Patience equals potency. :-)

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Hey all,

View attachment 940469

You can try resetting the light cycle. Turn your lights off for 36 hours. Then resume light schedule for 1 week @ 11 hours on 13 hours off. Then go back to 12/12 for the rest of flower.

This will help the plants produce more hormones and induce more productive flowering. I usually do this with every crop just as protocol.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I have had sativa leaning hybrids that took over 4 weeks to show real flowers forming and still flowered 8 more weeks. Usually strong sativa effects from flowers like that. And high yield too. There are a few in my thread that ended up with huge buds.

Good luck. Patience equals potency. :-)
Sounds good to me, that's what I'm hoping for. I have to wait 9 weeks or so anyway for the black cherry og's to finish so I will be practicing my patience either way it seems.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sounds good to me, that's what I'm hoping for. I have to wait 9 weeks or so anyway for the black cherry og's to finish so I will be practicing my patience either way it seems.

When growing from seed you wont know how long they will flower. Patience equals potency.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

You can try resetting the light cycle. Turn your lights off for 36 hours. Then resume light schedule for 1 week @ 11 hours on 13 hours off. Then go back to 12/12 for the rest of flower.

This will help the plants produce more hormones and induce more productive flowering. I usually do this with every crop just as protocol.

Interesting, never heard of doing that. I may try it next run and see how it goes. I think I may hold off doing it on this run as the other plants I have in there are all flowering really well. I just fear stressing them at this point. If something does not happen soon I may separate out the Leia and try it. I was thinking of setting up a veg tent anyway. Hmmm, more $$$. I am starting to feel like I bought a boat. Lol. Thanks for the advice.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

When growing from seed you wont know how long they will flower. Patience equals potency.

That makes sense now that I think of it given variation in genetics passed on. I am pretty invested at this point and enjoying learning. Thanks for another lesson.

TheWizardOfOz

TheWizardOfOz

I have a habit of not reading through every sngle post efore responding, so forgive me if things have already been suggested.

You could try introducing a bit more red, and lower the nitrogen uptake in the root system, (while increasing uptake of P and K) by lowering PH to around 6.

Very small amount of light may be getting in, that particular plant could be more sensitive than the others. Night temps, might want to try lowering a tad if possible.

What else, time. Maturity. If she aint ready, she ain't ready. Hybrids can show at around 30 days in veg, normally more though, a sativa strain/pheno or leaner hybrid may need quite a lot more, so just because you hit the flip, doesn't mean she will dance to your tune just because the others did ;) But yeah, you could try some things out (old wives tales or not).

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I have a habit of not reading through every sngle post efore responding, so forgive me if things have already been suggested.

You could try introducing a bit more red, and lower the nitrogen uptake in the root system, (while increasing uptake of P and K) by lowering PH to around 6.

Very small amount of light may be getting in, that particular plant could be more sensitive than the others. Night temps, might want to try lowering a tad if possible.

What else, time. Maturity. If she aint ready, she ain't ready. Hybrids can show at around 30 days in veg, normally more though, a sativa strain/pheno or leaner hybrid may need quite a lot more, so just because you hit the flip, doesn't mean she will dance to your tune just because the others did ;) But yeah, you could try some things out (old wives tales or not).

I hear that, I try to read as much as possible but seldom get through all of them.

I tried adding an extra led panel for red but it was raising temps, so I turned up the fan and RH went down to 12% so I turned the led off and fan down.

Funny you mentioned light getting in, I happened to notice the other day that I could see 2 pin holes of light when the tent was lit and room dark so I taped them up. They were sort of near that plant? Closer to others but lights does travel.

After checking this am it is starting to make a few more pistols. And some are at the tops now so I think she is starting up now? Not sure if it was something I did trying suggestions or just wasn't ready.

Thanks to everyone who gave input. I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Happysmoke

Happysmoke

There flowering at different rates bc your running multiple strains!

Yeah, it's probably most of why my canopy is such a mess now too. Lol. I think she is going now, still looks wierd, messy like ditch weed or something. It is starting some pistols on the tops now. I will check and post pics when the lights come back on.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Here are some pics of her new flowers. I think she is going nicely now. Amazing what a couple days will do for flowers. Glad she is finally starting up. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

IMG 20200216 212610

Latest posts

Top Bottom