Small backyard greenhouse grow.. need help!

• Thread starter Bigdope916
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Okay guys you ready?... I just set up my backyard greenhouse grow last week. I purchased a Flowerhouse 5x5x6.5, which sits on a rock bedding. I have six 15 gallon pots each filled with fox farm Ocean Forest soil. I only have 2 six inch clip on fans circulating the stagnant air as of right now and I have uploaded a video for you to see. So when I bought the clones I threw them straight in the soil and into the greenhouse, I did not acclimate them to the sun at all. I believe the plants were shocked as I haven’t really seen much growth out of any of them except for two which seem to be getting really purple. The temperature fluctuates from 100 degrees during the hottest part of the day and 50 degrees at nighttime. The second day I planted I left alone while I was at work to come back and find them almost dead, very droopy, and the tops of the plants touching the soil. I gave them a good watering and nursed all of them except one back to perfect health. The only problem is some crisping and browning on ends of some leaves however I think this is from the soil being so hot and giving the young plants nutrient burn. I have seen little tiny worm like bugs on my leafs but will be throwing some pest repellent in my next watering as I have not yet. I just purchased a six inch inline fan from hydro farm which I will be installing today by cutting hole in roof to pull hot air out so I can better regulate heat. Would I need a second fan pulling air from the outside in or will I be fine with just having screen door cracked for airflow??
I also have been watering once a day and am curious if this is too much?? I’m not sure how dry to let the soil get before rewatering and I believe I have been overwatering them which is also stunting their growth. Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated. I plan on giving natures pride top soil nutrients in about 3 weeks since the ocean forest has nutes in it. Humidity also fluctuates a lot with the temperature so if anyone has any suggestions at all about absolutely anything please let me know. Check out the video I’ve uploaded

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

I will also be updated this as a grow diary for anyone who wants to follow along this season and hopefully offer a little guidance

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

Nice video ! You already have 100 degrees ! Dang.

For watering they don't need lots when they're young and the general advice is go by weight. If the pots feel feel lighter they're getting dry. In the video they look good. Once a day doesn't say how much water they get each time. High temps use more water as does low humidity. All this to say go with what you think.

Expect slow growth for the first while. There are times with plants (like when they are establishing or if they get stressed) that they grow slow and other times like when you flip them to flower that they often take off on a growth spurt. Keep them alive and you've got a good start.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi looks good nice set up to boot enjoy the growing season . Regards Od .

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Nice video ! You already have 100 degrees ! Dang.

For watering they don't need lots when they're young and the general advice is go by weight. If the pots feel feel lighter they're getting dry. In the video they look good. Once a day doesn't say how much water they get each time. High temps use more water as does low humidity. All this to say go with what you think.

Expect slow growth for the first while. There are times with plants (like when they are establishing or if they get stressed) that they grow slow and other times like when you flip them to flower that they often take off on a growth spurt. Keep them alive and you've got a good start.
Thanks like2grow, yeah I’m not expecting much growth for at least another week or so until they get comfortable in their new home. Just picked up a box fan I’m going to throw in and see how that helps. Might try to replace the two clip ones with it as they don’t put out much air flow. I will upload pic once everything is all set up

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Thanks buddy I had a good summer season this year managed to pull of a small back yard 4 plant grow , 2NL#1 I had male & female so I seeded the crop up , now I’ve got some great seed back in my bank , the other 2 ladies were Strawberry Cough & Girl guide so I dusted them as well so I’ve got some great cross breed seed from them , I’m going to give a winter crop a go out there I’ve got a little glass house I’m using it gets the sun all day long so it’s nice n warm I’ll bring them at night it snows where I live . Od .

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Thanks buddy I had a good summer season this year managed to pull of a small back yard 4 plant grow , 2NL#1 I had male & female so I seeded the crop up , now I’ve got some great seed back in my bank , the other 2 ladies were Strawberry Cough & Girl guide so I dusted them as well so I’ve got some great cross breed seed from them , I’m going to give a winter crop a go out there I’ve got a little glass house I’m using it gets the sun all day long so it’s nice n warm I’ll bring them at night it snows where I live . Od .
That’s good man, snow must be tough to have to deal with. I would like to get some seeds out of a crop but for now I think I’m just gonna try to keep these fuckers alive lol I’m in Northern California so my main problem is this damn heat. Just added the inline fan, I have it on the outside sucking the air from the top. I also threw in one box fan in replacement of a clip on fan to get some more air flow however it doesn’t help at all with the heat. I’ve tried soaking the floors with water to get the temp down and humidity up but nothing seems to work. Here’s a video if you or anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears!

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
That’s good man, snow must be tough to have to deal with. I would like to get some seeds out of a crop but for now I think I’m just gonna try to keep these fuckers alive lol I’m in Northern California so my main problem is this damn heat. Just added the inline fan, I have it on the outside sucking the air from the top. I also threw in one box fan in replacement of a clip on fan to get some more air flow however it doesn’t help at all with the heat. I’ve tried soaking the floors with water to get the temp down and humidity up but nothing seems to work. Here’s a video if you or anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears!
I see you have the pots on ground on stones I would make a rack up to get them off stone surface better air circulation under the plants may help move heat out quicker and some white or cream coloured shade cloth is best for white flowering plants that will help with heat .good luck I'll keep an eye on you .

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

I see you have the pots on ground on stones I would make a rack up to get them off stone surface better air circulation under the plants may help move heat out quicker and some white or cream coloured shade cloth is best for white flowering plants that will help with heat .good luck I'll keep an eye on you .
Yeah might have to do that, I originally put them on stone so they would retain heat during night but heat is not my friend right now. Do you think the in-line fan serves any purpose with the doors open for ventilation? Heat is still floating around 100-103 degrees

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Yeah might have to do that, I originally put them on stone so they would retain heat during night but heat is not my friend right now. Do you think the in-line fan serves any purpose with the doors open for ventilation? Heat is still floating around 100-103 degrees
Try it with it closed and if you have a white bed sheet put that over the top to help reflect heat .see how that goes .

Madbud

Madbud

You can make individual domes by cutting the bottom off clear 2-3 liter bottles to increase humidity.

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Try it with it closed and if you have a white bed sheet put that over the top to help reflect heat .see how that goes .
I tried just opening bottom of one door and that seemed to make the temperature drop considerably however it was later in day so sun was already going down and getting cooler. I will monitor tomorrow and see how that helps. Won’t white sheet limit sun exposure a lot?

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

You can make individual domes by cutting the bottom off clear 2-3 liter bottles to increase humidity.
I will try it out if temperature does not level out at all. Thanks for the advice

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I tried just opening bottom of one door and that seemed to make the temperature drop considerably however it was later in day so sun was already going down and getting cooler. I will monitor tomorrow and see how that helps. Won’t white sheet limit sun exposure a lot?
Ok great now you are getting the passive air intake going I just set up my latest tent with it such a simple effect If you raise up the plants to get the air cap flowing around them it will be just what the doctor ordered ... good luck .

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Ok great now you are getting the passive air intake going I just set up my latest tent with it such a simple effect If you raise up the plants to get the air cap flowing around them it will be just what the doctor ordered ... good luck .
Sounds like a plan. I’m gonna try to get them up off the ground tomorrow somehow and see if that helps
sounds like a plan I will try to get them up off the ground here tomorrow somehow. Any suggestions what to throw them on?

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Just got off work and these ladies are cooking 🍳 108 and still looking healthy aside from the one runt of the litter

Bigdope916

Bigdope916

Also, I had a question about bring the pots up off the ground. I have smart pots and every time I move the pot even a little the soil cracks all the way across every which way. I’m not sure if this is damaging on roots? I feel like it would be.. however I want to make sure I don’t shock the plants or anything by moving the pots and soil around. Did I fill pots incorrectly when planting? Thanks

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks like2grow, yeah I’m not expecting much growth for at least another week or so until they get comfortable in their new home. Just picked up a box fan I’m going to throw in and see how that helps. Might try to replace the two clip ones with it as they don’t put out much air flow. I will upload pic once everything is all set up
that tent thing survive a wind storm?

Reactions: Ina
Bigdope916

Bigdope916

that tent thing survive a wind storm?
Yessir. Got pretty windy over here last week. I have the whole perimeter lined with chunks of concrete. There’s a flap that runs around the outside perimeter and inside so you can weigh it down. It also comes with spikes to spike down the corners.

Top Bottom