Small LED lamp to start seedlings?

• Thread starter Kuba
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kuba

Kuba

Hey y'all, looking for a cheap led light that will let me start my plants indoors, doesn't need to be anything big since they'll be there for a week or 2 max. been looking at these led lamps that give me either 18 or 45 watts, full spectrum of light, timer and all that, question is, will that be enough? or should I look into something more powerfull? cheers

Kungpow420

Kungpow420

King led get the 79 one. I have one for supplemental and for my small tent. For my main room I use the 1200 w . They are bright and affordable. You can get them on Amazon. You can also use a t5 which ranges from 30 to 100.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

I use 4 of these to veg my ladies. $60 apiece at Home Depot. 3 different spectrums you can turn on/off independently.

steamroller

steamroller

I start my seedlings with aquarium lights made for planted tanks .
Beamsworks DA FSPEC
You can add an Ebay $5 dimmer if you want .

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Even a pair of 5000k led shop lights would work just fine. Seedling stage doesn't require much. I have a 240w quantum board on mine. It's dimmed and distanced way down to about 4-5k lux right now. I'll increase intensity as they grow.

You might already have something around the house that will work for seedlings. It doesn't take much to keep them happy for the first couple of weeks.

growsince79

growsince79

Hey y'all, looking for a cheap led light that will let me start my plants indoors, doesn't need to be anything big since they'll be there for a week or 2 max. been looking at these led lamps that give me either 18 or 45 watts, full spectrum of light, timer and all that, question is, will that be enough? or should I look into something more powerfull? cheers
I still haven't found any leds that work as good as florescent. 1 cool and 1 warm is all you need for 10 plants.

Kuba

Kuba

Even a pair of 5000k led shop lights would work just fine. Seedling stage doesn't require much. I have a 240w quantum board on mine. It's dimmed and distanced way down to about 4-5k lux right now. I'll increase intensity as they grow.

You might already have something around the house that will work for seedlings. It doesn't take much to keep them happy for the first couple of weeks.
so I've looked at some led bulbs and found one that got 6500K, 17.5Watt and like 2500 lumen, would that be good for a 2 week veg period? not sure, any help would be appreciated

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Thats all I use is the shop lights, I have 2 in there now one 30 watt one 45 I believe from walmart

They were around $15 a piece

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

so I've looked at some led bulbs and found one that got 6500K, 17.5Watt and like 2500 lumen, would that be good for a 2 week veg period? not sure, any help would be appreciated
That 6500k is fine, but I would also look to add something in the 2700k-3000k range with similar lumens. 5000 lumens total between the 2 bulbs should work well for a week or 2. Once the plant starts growing, you'll want a lot more.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you have a light for veg/flower?
I was wondering the same thing.

I use a 3500k white light quantum board. It's 240w, but at seedling stage its dimmed down and raised up to keep intensity low. When they are small, it's easy to get 8-10 plants under the one light. Once they start growing, they get moved to either my 5 x 5 or my 6.5 x 6.5 tent. At that point, the amount of light they need increases as the plants take up more space.

Ph 007

Ph 007

I find and use clf t5 lights for veg/clones and small plants as the room temps are run at 75-77f this gives me a nicer humdiy range and easy and cheap to keep temp at that temp, but my weather here is quit cool, if I use led at this stage it cost more electric to heat the room as led need hotter temps and then hotter temps I struggle to keep my humidyy up

But flower I'm on pure led better humidyy and growth than hps,
I Use to hps , but i usw led now iv mastered getting my flower room temps good was a struggle at first going from hps

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

71VuCTbqfVL AC SL1500

This works well for seedlings at 12-18 inches. Downside is you need to get something to plug it into like a clip on recepticle and a way to hang it.

Kuba

Kuba

That 6500k is fine, but I would also look to add something in the 2700k-3000k range with similar lumens. 5000 lumens total between the 2 bulbs should work well for a week or 2. Once the plant starts growing, you'll want a lot more.
would that matter that much? I settled on a 6400k one and from my understanding a higher kelvin is better for veg, and since I'm not gonna flower there that's all I need right? correct me if I'm wrong

growsince79

growsince79

would that matter that much? I settled on a 6400k one and from my understanding a higher kelvin is better for veg, and since I'm not gonna flower there that's all I need right? correct me if I'm wrong
You can use 6400k alone and the will stay shorter than if you use 3000k. I get best results mixing.

Kuba

Kuba

You can use 6400k alone and the will stay shorter than if you use 3000k. I get best results mixing.
will that affect the yield at all? cause if not then the plants staying small is great, since when they get moved outside i'll have a small greenhouse waiting. also why i chose smaller strains to grow this year

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I'd go for a mars hydro ts600 or equivalent 90-100 watt board style, they give a better light footprint than the 35 watt flood bulbs.

Top Bottom