Small mix, advice on amendment quantities please.

• Thread starter Severance
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Severance

Severance

My first attempt at making a medium like this, some advice on quantities and ratios of amendments would help.
I've seen many recipes online, often with large differences and scales, so thought I'd ask here before I get to mixing.

It's late winter here, will have this mixed within the next week or so, with about 3 months to cook before use.
Need 50 gallons (190 litres) of mix, I have 5x 20 gallon fabric bags to grow 5 plants outdoors, plan is to half fill them with this mix, straight potting mix on top, plants will be grown to a reasonable size before transplanting in.

Water they'll get is straight rainwater, soft, pH usually around 4.9 to 5.3 (I use a few drops of liquid seaweed extract per litre to pH up)

I have:
100 litres (26.5 gallons) of Canna Terra Pro potting mix, 60 litres of it used and 40 new
20 litres (5.3 gallons) coco coir
20 litres dried horse manure
10 litres dried cow manure
10 litres sheep manure
10 litres perlite
20 litres worm castings

Have ordered the following quantities of stuff, should be all here early next week - any advice on how much of this stuff to add, what I've missed, or don't need, would be much appreciated.

1kg (2.2lb) high phos guano
1.5kg kelp meal
1.5kg fish bone meal
1.5kg crushed oyster shells
2kg soft rock phosphate
2.5kg dolomite lime
1kg basalt rock dust
500g epsom salts
100g humic and fulvic acid

I have a liquid 'Mycorrcin' to add to the water for moistening the pile.

Thank you for any advice.
Peace

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Compost is very slow release fertilizer. If the manure is fresh it'll be very high in N thought.

As for the amendments, there are calculators on the web that will help you mix the right quantities. Studying other recipes like subcool's will also give you an idea.

I have a recipe that can help, but you'll have to scale it for your ingredients.
https://www.borealcuring.com/growing_tools/super_soil.php

It seems you have the right ingredients, but you have to be careful you don't overdo it. Throwing the kitchen sink at it could be dangerous. Especially if you don't cook it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom