• Thread starter TuCannaSam
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

Hey All!

This is my first post here on
THC Farmer, and I’m Canadian Eh’

I’m just trying to pick a few brains for this set up, in case I’ve missed something, so I can order it before I actually neeeeeeed it..

Checklist:

•20’ x 20’ room
•Humidifier
•Dehumidifier
•Air Conditioner
•Panda Wrap
•100Gallon Drum
•Air Pump
•AutoFeeder
•4x Photontek Zeus 1000w LED
•4x 10” Circulating Fans
Advanced Nutrients & etc.
•2x 12” Carbon Filter
•75GPD RO System
ProMix HP Coco / Myco
•Molasses

•Bottled CO2
•Foliar Spray Bottle & FPJ

Plan:

Veg:

The plants will be veged under Mars TS3000’s in a separate room and weed out the males if they appear.

Flower:
The flower room will be completely wrapped in Panda Film, it will be sectioned into (4) 5’x10’ stalls with Panda Film stapled to 2x6’s on the floor to keep the walls from shifting and running into the other plants, my plan is to run 16-18 plants per stall. This will be my first big grow with LED but I’ve spared no expense thus far and shooting for filling my needs entirely with between 16-20lbs every 3month cycle, I’ve read about a lot of guys getting 2-3lbs per 5x5 tent with LST and ScrOG, should I scrog? Or let them naturally fill the room? I know from experience that yield differs between strains and lights, so I’ve gone for heavy yielding strains, and maximum wattage efficacy.

Questions:

•Is there any reason I shouldn’t hit 16lbs minimum by at least second crop out?

• Anything you big room bloomers want to point out - that you wished you had done from the start?

•Am I planning on running more plants than I need to hit the harvests I require?

•Am I missing anything in my checklist?

— I know I’m probably missing a bunch of things I want to say here, but I’m going to blame the Uber Fuego (as the kids say) Lemon Meringue Runtz from a previous harvest, feel free to point it out!

thanks in advance Farm Fam.

Small room bloomers need not apply
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ambitious setup!

The one thing that really jumps out at me is the size of your RO system. 75 gallons a day. That means 3.125 gallons per hour, but only if you have ideal water pressure. Otherwise, it's even slower than that. How much water do you anticipate using per day? I have a 150 gpd RO system and it takes me 70 minutes @50psi water pressure to fill a 5 gallon bucket which I carry by hand to my 30 gallon reservoir. For every 5 gallons of RO, I send 10 gallons of water down the drain. If your water is metered, that's literally money down the drain. It's a time-intensive inefficient process. Instead of RO, I would consider a 2 or 3 stage filter system that is designed to remove chlorine/chlor-amine and reduce your PPM. At least this way, your filtration process is much faster and you're not sending half to 2/3 of the water down the drain.

Photontek Zeus 1000 Watt light is probably one of the better lights out there. However, I don't believe it's near enough light to adequately light 400 sq ft. Most growers in a non-CO2 environment are looking at providing a minimum of 30 watts per sq ft. Using 30 watts per sq ft, you would need 12 of those Zeus 1000 watts to fully light the space (400 sq ft x 30w per sq ft = 12000 watts). Remember, unlike HID lighting that casts it's light in 3d sphere, LED lights focus all their light straight down and will not adequately extend out the full 10 ft of each of your grow areas.

Your space will easily support your desire to produce 16-20 lbs every 3 - 4 months but I don't believe you have enough lighting planned in to accomplish it.

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

Ambitious setup!

The one thing that really jumps out at me is the size of your RO system. 75 gallons a day. That means 3.125 gallons per hour, but only if you have ideal water pressure. Otherwise, it's even slower than that. How much water do you anticipate using per day? I have a 150 gpd RO system and it takes me 70 minutes @50psi water pressure to fill a 5 gallon bucket which I carry by hand to my 30 gallon reservoir. For every 5 gallons of RO, I send 10 gallons of water down the drain. If your water is metered, that's literally money down the drain. It's a time-intensive inefficient process. Instead of RO, I would consider a 2 or 3 stage filter system that is designed to remove chlorine/chlor-amine and reduce your PPM. At least this way, your filtration process is much faster and you're not sending half to 2/3 of the water down the drain.

Photontek Zeus 1000 Watt light is probably one of the better lights out there. However, I don't believe it's near enough light to adequately light 400 sq ft. Most growers in a non-CO2 environment are looking at providing a minimum of 30 watts per sq ft. Using 30 watts per sq ft, you would need 12 of those Zeus 1000 watts to fully light the space (400 sq ft x 30w per sq ft = 12000 watts). Remember, unlike HID lighting that casts it's light in 3d sphere, LED lights focus all their light straight down and will not adequately extend out the full 10 ft of each of your grow areas.

Your space will easily support your desire to produce 16-20 lbs every 3 - 4 months but I don't believe you have enough lighting planned in to accomplish it.
Lights:

Going over my checklist I see that I omitted the 4x Spiderfarmer SE7000-730w that I’ve been using, When I calculated everything I multiplied the available wattage by the very ambitious 1.5gram/watt , which gave me a high-end ballpark of 19.55lbs per cycle. Obviously the photon is pushing more wattage - so the side of the room that is under the SE7000 will be lower yielding, but as a whole I think I should be hitting my numbers by at least second crop out. (which I’ll lay out the math for below).

Math:

4x SE7000/730w - 2920 watts
4x Zeus1000 - 4000watts

6920x1.5 / 448g
Rough Net Yield - 23.1lbs

6920 div. 448g
Rough Net Yield - 15.44lbs

Water:

Im in a good area for water pressure and don’t think I’ll need more than 75gallons per day for 64-72plants; Giving each plant roughly 1gallon per day and only feeding when required - but could be wrong, I don’t have any issue with taking the RO system back and recouping the $550 spent on it if there is another cost efficient solution, in my smaller grows I’ve never bothered with RO, but I figured if I’m gonna go big and drop another $8k on lights, I might as we’ll do it right and grab the RO system so my girls can flourish.

Clarification:

The total square footage of the flowering zones are 200sq.ft - (4) 5x10’ closed off sections, the other 200 sq.ft is veg section and working area. It was late, I was buzzed and dozin, and forgot to clarify this.

Nothing is set up yet for flower, I want to make sure I’ve got everything drawn out and configured to the best of my ability prior to install, so I don’t have to go back in and tear everything down and re-route anything.

Thanks very much for your response!

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

Welcome to the farm - im in agreement with Gramps- not enuff light , is this a room in your house ? Where are you exhausting ? I don’t have a large room but I gotta believe humidity will be an issue?
I had to clarify that the entire room is 20x20 with (4) 5x10’ stalls.

I’ll be exhausting thru 2 basement windows, the whole basement is panda filmed,

I will dial humidity in with dehumidifier(s). I’ve got one of those vivosun mini’s, they’re relatively cheap (~60) I can grab 3 more for each of the other stalls if necessary.

I’m aiming for the ability to completely manipulate each stall based on the strains needs and characteristics, and avoid tainting the whole grow with PM if i run into that issue in one of my stalls.

cheers

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would definitely re-think the RO. Carbon filtered water with chlorine/chlor-amine removed is sufficient. Depending on your water quality starting out, under 100ppm is very attainable. A carbon filter system is cheaper to buy, doesn't waste water down the drain, and comes out filtered at essentially the same speed it goes in at. IMO opinion, RO is over-kill when all you need is a filtered water source. Especially considering their's a significant price difference between the 2.

With 1/2 the sq ft coverage puts you at 6000 watts minimum. The lights you left out + the Photontek exceeds that threshold ... your lighting should be good. As for greater production under the 1000 watt? Not necessarily. Your plants can only use so much light. You go over that and you are opening yourself up to light stress/light intensity burn. It's good to have more light than you need because it gives you options ... as long as you watch out for damage that too much light can produce.

Edit: How much time are you going to be able to invest in being hands on with your grow? The size of yours alone will make it pretty much a full time job all in it's own. If you have that kind of time, then go for it.

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

I would definitely re-think the RO. Carbon filtered water with chlorine/chlor-amine removed is sufficient. Depending on your water quality starting out, under 100ppm is very attainable. A carbon filter system is cheaper to buy, doesn't waste water down the drain, and comes out filtered at essentially the same speed it goes in at. IMO opinion, RO is over-kill when all you need is a filtered water source. Especially considering their's a significant price difference between the 2.

With 1/2 the sq ft coverage puts you at 6000 watts minimum. The lights you left out + the Photontek exceeds that threshold ... your lighting should be good. As for greater production under the 1000 watt? Not necessarily. Your plants can only use so much light. You go over that and you are opening yourself up to light stress/light intensity burn. It's good to have more light than you need because it gives you options ... as long as you watch out for damage that too much light can produce.

Edit: How much time are you going to be able to invest in being hands on with your grow? The size of yours alone will make it pretty much a full time job all in it's own. If you have that kind of time, then go for it.
Thanks very much @MIGrampaUSA for the input and your tips on RO, I haven’t gotten anything set up yet, and the RO system is still in the box, so HomeDepot can have it back 😅 .

Yes I’ll be privy to not exceeding more wattage than I need - and I’ll save myself a few bucks on the electricity as well.

I work from a home office as it is, so I’ll have adequate time to crop tend. I’m excited

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks very much @MIGrampaUSA for the input and your tips on RO, I haven’t gotten anything set up yet, and the RO system is still in the box, so HomeDepot can have it back 😅 .

Yes I’ll be privy to not exceeding more wattage than I need - and I’ll save myself a few bucks on the electricity as well.

I work from a home office as it is, so I’ll have adequate time to crop tend. I’m excited
I think it would be a good idea to go back to what @Moshmen was saying about humidity. When you have 72 plants all transpiring and filling the room with humidity, your vivosun minis might not be up to the task. I use a large household dehumidifier in a 8 x 23 ft (184 sq ft) area. Of that, my flower areas are 75 sq ft combined between the 2. A typical run never exceeds 18 plants ... and I need every bit of my 1200 sq ft capacity dehumidifier during certain times of the year. One or two large dehumidifiers to keep the whole 400 sq ft area conditioned might be more cost efficient than those minis. It's harder to condition the air inside your grow space. It's much easier to control the whole space. You might also consider using a lung room to pre-treat your intake air before it's drawn into the grow areas.

visajoe1

visajoe1

couple questions. tell us about your coco nutrients plan? mentioned above is: advanced nutrients, etc and molasses

molasses is for organic mediums, to feed the microbial activity

coco is hydro and not designed to be organic. the molasses isnt needed unless organic and if organic is the plan, coco is the wrong medium.

how will the runoff be managed? you'll be running Drain to waste with dozens of pots, quite a bit to account for

best of luck with the room

Moshmen

Moshmen

I think it would be a good idea to go back to what @Moshmen was saying about humidity. When you have 72 plants all transpiring and filling the room with humidity, your vivosun minis might not be up to the task. I use a large household dehumidifier in a 8 x 23 ft (184 sq ft) area. Of that, my flower areas are 75 sq ft combined between the 2. A typical run never exceeds 18 plants ... and I need every bit of my 1200 sq ft capacity dehumidifier during certain times of the year. One or two large dehumidifiers to keep the whole 400 sq ft area conditioned might be more cost efficient than those minis. It's harder to condition the air inside your grow space. It's much easier to control the whole space. You might also consider using a lung room to pre-treat your intake air before it's drawn into the grow areas.
I use a lung room myself and pull over 3 gallons a day - more in full bloom and I’ve only got about 32 square feet

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

Thanks for the input, Our climate does seem to be shifting, last year we saw a heat wave of 40c+ that lasted nearly 3weeks - so I will pick up a bigger dehumidifier or two right away!
cheers!

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

@visajoe1

•I’ll be running Advanced nutes - switched from Remo.

•I do a promix HPCC in my pots

• I’ve been adding a tsp of blackstrap per litre of water in flower for added sugars since getting the tip a couple years ago, haven’t noticed an issue so far.

•Runoff is still finicky in my planning, I had been just sucking it up with wet vac after letting it sit for a few minutes to ensure the root ball got a full saturation. Ideas?

TuCannaSam

TuCannaSam

It wouldn't hurt to verify that you have enough electrical circuits to spread out the load. Now is the time to have any electrical upgrades done before you have to reach for the fire extinguishers ...
Red Seal Electrician friend coming in to do the wiring for me in the next couple weeks. Once I’ve got everything roughed together I’ll take pics and get some further critique before I load the room. Thanks a bunch Gramps!

Moshmen

Moshmen

@visajoe1

•I’ll be running Advanced nutes - switched from Remo.

•I do a promix HPCC in my pots

• I’ve been adding a tsp of blackstrap per litre of water in flower for added sugars since getting the tip a couple years ago, haven’t noticed an issue so far.

•Runoff is still finicky in my planning, I had been just sucking it up with wet vac after letting it sit for a few minutes to ensure the root ball got a full saturation. Ideas?
Drain away trays - ad right here on the farm

Frostie069

Frostie069

wow, quite the shopping list, I smashed a bowl or two then had some fruit loops last night. Look forward to the grow, its a big one!!

Top Bottom