Smart Pots?

• Thread starter zooted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zooted

Has anyone had any luck with these fabric containers? They seem like they would help build a much larger root base. As well as keep temps down and promote air pruning.

I currently have many in my garden and will be employing them in my medical garden as well for a deffinative test.

G

Grendelkhan

I am using the plastic ones that roll up and are re-useable. They are awesome. Seriously. These will increase your roots like crazy. I have been using them for the last 3 cycles indoors and I have remarkable improvement from my ladies. I would strongly suggest them to anyone looking to upgrade their grows. You can get them from this site.
http://www.superoots.com/
I know for sure that at least 2 major breeders out here on the west coast have picked up these airpots and are now using them. I think that we will be seeing these pots more and more. Take a look at the videos on the web site as they do a pretty good job of showing how it all works.
Gkhan.

Z

zooted

Thanks i have been having great results with my smart pots with tomatoes. my plants planted next to them in the earth even with added nutrients bloomed much later than the smart pots. these are great they can be broken down for space or adjusted in height by rolling down.

L

leao

I'm still on the fence on these. Some have told me that the roots can be damaged easily when moving the containers, while the root development is amazing. Have either of you noticed any difficulty with durability or moving the pots?

Z

zooted

no it is much easier to move them, although if they are on top of the dirt the roots will go through the fabric and into the earth. So if you lift it up you will break fine root hairs off but nothing major. I dont know about the air pots but smart pots really seem un beatable. I have noticed though you might want to do some easy watering, the roots get so abundant that they penetrate even the dry part of the soil. Also they dry out much quicker, which makes it easier to water more often. I am going to have them inside in a tray so I dont have to worrie about moving them often. you will spill dirt a time or two as well... it is ridged when soil and roots are supporting the pot.

www.smartpots.com

G

Grendelkhan

I am not using the fabric ones but the plastic ones. They are very easy to move once you get them together. They are fairly easy to break down once you have used them and then an easy clean and their ready for the next use. I haven't have any problems with transplanting them. Yes they can be watered more often. I personally like to water more often. Hell I even use a 65 cocco/ 35 perlite mix with mine and they love it. I have just started hitting this site more often and will try to do a show with the Superroots airpot, so that you can see how they work. I use them in a top feed setup but have heard from others that the pots work really well with ebb and flow setup too. If anything pick up some and do a run with them. See what you think for yourself.
Peace.
Gkhan.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I think Greyskull is using the fabric ones in a ebb and flow set-up using coir. That Guy grows FIRE! Have thought about making them myself with Landscape fabric. That is sll they are. Poly thread, a needle, and the fabric, and of course the time. But much cheaper.

B

badness

is it possible to transplant with these pots or are all the roots stuck to the sides?

D

darookie2000

Roll down the sides and move the rootball. It's as simple as that. The roots grow through the bottom more than the sides, but it's not very damaging by the time that happens to have a couple of them pulled off. I've vegged a number of plants in them, my only complaint is that once the plant gets large, the pots dry out too quickly and the plant wilts. I've had this happen on a couple of occasions and immediately transplanted to avoid further incidents.

I am thinking about expanding to an ebb and flow table and I will probably grow in these at some point, using canna bioterra, since I like the medium but have had a few issues with fungus gnats that watering from the bottom should fix.

D

Dice

ive been woundring how well these work Thanks for the info and the web site i will be ordering some.

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

I'm glad I used search before starting a new thread.
Has anyone reused the smart pots? Has anyone just set the smart pot on top of a larger pot, will the roots grow thru the bottom? Lots of questions. Peace

Venom818

Venom818

U guy's want to see some result's check out the pig farmer.

R

rockfish

i use smartpots. i love em. i use 4-30 galls per 4x4 tray.
they are filled with a coco/hydroton/crouton mix.
in the past i was feeding 2 times a day for an hour per feed. but now the plants are a little small so i do 1x a day for the first few weeks. these are at day 12, or something like that.
when i reuse em i just dump the medium into a plastic container , break it up a little , pull out all the roots.
rip out any roots that went through and are left in the pots. and dump the medium back in. just to make sure its clean i run a hose over them until the rezs are full, pump it out and do it 2 more times. until i get nice clean medium.
then i plant em and run 600 ppm's for about an hour and they blow up real fast. my plan is always to veg for 4-5 days in the smarties before i flip. since i switched to these and the recirc system by day 2 veg they are big enough to flower.
and the feed i do for an hour because i find my ph is stable as a rock since i started to feed so long.
seldom do i have to adjust it. only when i top off the rezs and add more nutes.
:smiley_joint:

Smartie1
Smartie 2
Smartie 3
cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Thanx rockfish, Good info, all your plants have big smiles!
Care to share what strain? Oh yes PigFarmer is homicidal.
Peace

R

rockfish

Thanx rockfish, Good info, all your plants have big smiles!
Care to share what strain? Oh yes PigFarmer is homicidal.
Peace
sure bro !!!! the first 2 pics are 6 pots of white x tresdog, a real good pheno. the others are a mix. some blueberry haze, Chemdog D, big papa skunk#1, giesel and og kush. had more pics but my comp was wiped clean today back to the factory settings, and i just lost everything.so i gotta take more.
thanks bro. i love smart pots!!!!!!

C

ChronicChthonic

I used them for tomatoes outside, they worked great. I too am wondering if they can be re-used? I threw mine out this fall because the tomatoes had grown massive roots through the bottom of the pots, but if they can be re-used it might be worth using for an indoor grow - I can't afford to buy that many new smart pots otherwise...

Top Bottom