Smell, help!!

• Thread starter silverhaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
silverhaze

silverhaze

All of a sudden, the smell. I was reading a thread about a/c units that said the wall unit a/c's (which is what I'm using) don't exaust the smell from your room, they only cool the air from the room and return it. Is that true because I thought that could be the problem and have been looking into portable units. Otherwise the room is very well sealed, a 6" fan blows filtered air into the first of two 1000w bulbs while at the same time a 440 cfm sucks the air from the other side to cool the lights. There is a 1" hole in the ducting inside the flower room which removes air from the room. After the 440 fan sucks the heated air from the lights, it is exausted through a 24" Carbon filter (the air from the 1" hole in the ducting of the room comes out here too).

Fresh air filtered through another 24" carbon filter is sent into the room from another 440cfm fan. Only the air from the 1" hole in the light ducting should be leaving the room and then filtered through carbon. The carbon filter was given to me and has likely been used in several other rooms. Do they go bad or eventually fail to scrub the smell from the air? Should I look at the filters or the window a/c???

Thanks in advance.

btw, we're starting week 7 of flowering.

R

reggiebaseball

This is the time when you are going to find the weaknesses in your system because things are stinking!

Holes in ducting are dumb.
So is filtering your incoming air through carbon.
So is PUSHING through a carbon filter.

Please use a sealed loop for your hoods.
outside Air-> 640cfm fan-> hood1 ->hood2 -> out - no carbon filters. Try just a single fan pushing this run, your best fan. NO 440 pulling after your hoods, not necessary. Put duct insulation on the last leg of the run from the hood out. Insulate your hoods later if you feel fancy. Make sure your glass and hood does not have air leaks, duct tape it up if necessary.

Now set up the older/ gifted one of the carbon filters in corner of your room with the 440cfm fan on it just recirculating.

Now set up the final new carbon filter with a 440cfm fan on it exhausting from the room to the outside outside. IF you can, get this filter up near the ceiling so it grabs the hottest room air.

Carbon filters last 2 years or so depending on usage.

If you need more incoming air, just make a small passive intake, but usually leaks will provide enough to compensate for what the exhaust pulls out, esp if you have the exhaust on a temperature regulator.

silverhaze

silverhaze

Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it. The closed air system with the hole in the duct idea was given to me by the most advanced grower I know so I couldn't hardly argue. However before he came and gave me that advice, I had the system set up closer to what you are describing now. I will make these changes today and hope that it makes the difference. Any thoughts on the a/c exhaust? Was the thread right that it does not exhaust the room air? If the carbon's are only good for 2 years or so, I better get a new one. The hoods are brand new and sealed tight.

Top Bottom