Smell of Wood While Curing

• Thread starter Jdogggg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jdogggg

Jdogggg

I harvested 3 plants this year from random seeds that I found in some medical bud I had, no idea of the strains. The one of concern happens to be the best of the three, grown outside, and had a bunch of big fat colas, and smelled awesome, it was a thing of beauty!!! It’s actually the green plant in the back on my avatar.

Anyway, did a wet trim, hung in a dark room at 65 degrees, 61% rH For 6.5 days. Then into brown paper bags for 3.5 days, flipping and burping every 12hts. When I jarred them, they were like a semi hard sticky candy, smelled awesome. I put them in jars, 3/4 full, and back into the dark room, and after 24hrs, the bud smells more woody, nothing bad, but different and unexpected. I am currently 3 days into the jarring part of the curing process.

My other two plants went through the same process, and they smell awesome every time I open those jars, but one had smaller buds, the other more fluffy and airy. My thought is that there is some moisture in those bigger buds still, and this is part of the process, and I need to have patience In the curing process... Any expert advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

After you jar your flower i buy 64% humidity chips, this is after i go through trimming the flower putting it in cool whiip containers do the burp thing and get my flower right were i want it to be, as far as the woody smell you said yourself you dont know what strain you have, are you shure it's woody and not more earthy? Most times i get a peppery earthy smell, the longer u cure the better.

linde

linde

might be too moist before jaring. next time let them hang another day or two. stems should cleanly snap.

Jdogggg

Jdogggg

After you jar your flower i buy 64% humidity chips, this is after i go through trimming the flower putting it in cool whiip containers do the burp thing and get my flower right were i want it to be, as far as the woody smell you said yourself you dont know what strain you have, are you shure it's woody and not more earthy? Most times i get a peppery earthy smell, the longer u cure the better.

I put my hydrometer in one of the jars and it was low, around ~53% which is close to where my basement is right now, and will only get less as the cold season settles in here in Michigan. Thankfully I ordered some of the 62% packs a few days before i made this post, they are in the jars now, first burp is Saturday evening. I think you are spot on with the peppery earthy smell, that is more accurate. As for curing, I am planning a 6-8 week cure for my crop, only one week into that process now. Thanks for the reply!! Great Forum, Great People!!

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

The chips work good, the longer you cure the better, after i cut the flower off the plant i put in cool whip containers and burp it several times a day till the outside of flower is partly dry but moist in middle, i want that clorafill smell gone before the jar, only for 2 or 3 days then into the jar

Latest posts

Top Bottom