So Many Options

• Thread starter Newbie77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Newbie77

In need of advice as there are so many options out there. I am new to growing and I have picked out what i think i need. Have you folks ever used California light networks or t tekhydro tents. Would love you thoughts and opinions before I purchase.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
In need of advice as there are so many options out there. I am new to growing and I have picked out what i think i need. Have you folks ever used California light networks or t tekhydro tents. Would love you thoughts and opinions before I purchase.
Post what your looking at for your new grow:)

N

Newbie77

Lookin to grow 3 or 4 plants at time. Tent I am looking at 1 time. Beans I have ready to go are blue dream, Ak 47, and blue ice.

Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok u have beans and maybe a tent. What light u running, what medium u in, what nutrients are u using. Ppl need these answers before they can help.

N

Newbie77

Ok u have beans and maybe a tent. What light u running, what medium u in, what nutrients are u using. Ppl need these answers before they can help.
That what I was asking in my original post, was asking you thoughts on those products.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Is there a particular reason you want that brand of led grow light? Just curious.

I don’t have any direct experience with that brand so I can’t say one way or another but there are lots of options available right now and imo it would be worth it to have a look around the forum and check out some quantum board setups to see if they are a good fit for you.

I would hate for you to buy one and then regret it six months down the road.

What raises a red flag for me is the fact they still use active cooling. Most quantum boards don’t need active cooling because there is so little heat being generated from wasted energy. Passive cooling is enough most of the time.

A2EEC9CD 7969 42DF 9EA2 9BE251D1326F

The reviews are a bit sketchy. All 5 star reviews and the most recent is from March 2018 (1 year ago).

One of the features they boast is about spectrum control with their aftermarket controller. However based on their charts the only spectrum you can control is the blues, basically being able to turn them up and down. Not sure it’s worth the extra cost to have that feature. Although compared to the cost of their fixtures, what’s another $179?

Last edited:
N

Newbie77

Thank you for the reply. The reason as to why I am asking about these products is my a in my city store is raving them up. They're pushing the controls on me and the 5 year warranty. And they are suggesting the 1100 over the 550 for the 3 x 3 tent. I am open to suggestions as of what else is out there that is better

Dan789

Dan789

Checked out the 1100 fixture, one thing strikes me, is the 2550 btu’s produced from the fixture. That in a 3x3 tent will need lots of air exchanges.
The British thermal unit (Btu or BTU) is a traditional unit of heat; it is defined as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.
Using that metric that a lot of heat. Maybe a better fact would be to obtain the efficiency of that fixture, but unfortunately don’t see that.
As @JWM2 mentioned, quantum boards would produce the least waste heat, those or a cob set up would be the way I’d go. imho

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you for the reply. The reason as to why I am asking about these products is my a in my city store is raving them up. They're pushing the controls on me and the 5 year warranty. And they are suggesting the 1100 over the 550 for the 3 x 3 tent. I am open to suggestions as of what else is out there that is better

I bet the markup on them is insane. Considering other burples in the same category sell for 1/8 the price or less. I wouldn’t trust a sales man. Do some googling and see what others think or check out some of the quantum setups here. Cobs are another great option. Just depends on your growing style and what your goals are. For an even canopy with even light distribution quantums are hard to beat. For canopy penetration cobs are king of the hill in led technology. Let us know your plans and we might be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I will say this though. You did the right thing by coming here first and asking. Too many folks get taken in by hype. We are a community of real growers who have been doing it for many years and we don’t have anything at stake but our reputation. So therefore we aren’t going to push you in any direction besides the right direction for your situation.

N

Newbie77

Checked out the 1100 fixture, one thing strikes me, is the 2550 btu’s produced from the fixture. That in a 3x3 tent will need lots of air exchanges.
The British thermal unit (Btu or BTU) is a traditional unit of heat; it is defined as the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.
Using that metric that a lot of heat. Maybe a better fact would be to obtain the efficiency of that fixture, but unfortunately don’t see that.
As @JWM2 mentioned, quantum boards would produce the least waste heat, those or a cob set up would be the way I’d go. imho
Srry newbie here, what is cob?

N

Newbie77

I bet the markup on them is insane. Considering other burples in the same category sell for 1/8 the price or less. I wouldn’t trust a sales man. Do some googling and see what others think or check out some of the quantum setups here. Cobs are another great option. Just depends on your growing style and what your goals are. For an even canopy with even light distribution quantums are hard to beat. For canopy penetration cobs are king of the hill in led technology. Let us know your plans and we might be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I will say this though. You did the right thing by coming here first and asking. Too many folks get taken in by hype. We are a community of real growers who have been doing it for many years and we don’t have anything at stake but our reputation. So therefore we aren’t going to push you in any direction besides the right direction for your situation.
I am glad I came here too. I have been in here reading for some time and I knew this would be the place to go to ask questions. Really my goal is too finally to grow my own all organic. Like I said 3 to 4 plants of personal use. I am looking at led as the cost of power I think will be lower to others and less heat they produce. And man there are alot of led lights and gear out there.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Cob is chip on board. It’s a larger led diode that puts out a lot of light. These are great for penetrating canopies as their light is more focused over a smaller area. Quantum boards use much smaller leds but a lot more of them. So they spread the wattage over a much larger area. This allows you to run them closer to the canopy where they are more efficient. It really depends on what kind of growing method you want to use. Both can be used for any growing method but one or the other might be a little better suited than the other.

Dan789

Dan789

This is an array of cob lights. Each cob, has a connection mostly in series with its neighbor and are powered by a “driver”, depending on the amount of current, the output will vary. The black pin type elements attached are the individual heat sinks, to radiate the heat produced in this case a passive fashion (no fans necessary).
190ECD0E 8808 42E5 8875 56A50DEEB50B

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
This is an array of cob lights. Each cob, has a connection mostly in series with its neighbor and are powered by a “driver”, depending on the amount of current, the output will vary. The black pin type elements attached are the individual heat sinks, to radiate the heat produced in this case a passive fashion (no fans necessary). View attachment 860396

Very nice setup bro. I’m working on a similar quantum setup and should have it ready in a week or two.

N

Newbie77

Omg thats nice. So in terms of growing methods, are you talking hydro and soil? If you are I plan on going the soil route.

Latest posts

Top Bottom