So not strictly about the soil

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The_word

The_word

I am currently on my first indoor grow and things are going fairly well. I am now (already) considering my next grow, I have a fairly small grow tent (1mx1mx1.8m). I currently have 4 plants in the space in 11l pots but the space feels full and more importantly they need water like every 4 days to put on any bulk. one question I really would like to know the answer to is:

Is it better to grow less plants in bigger pots? And how does it affect yeild? If I plant 2 plants in the space for example.

Thanks again lovely people 😎

So not strictly about the soil
So not strictly about the soil 2
So not strictly about the soil 3
So not strictly about the soil 4
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I am currently on my first indoor grow and things are going fairly well. I am now (already) considering my next grow, I have a fairly small grow tent (1mx1mx1.8m). I currently have 4 plants in the space in 11l pots but the space feels full and more importantly they need water like every 4 days to put on any bulk. one question I really would like to know the answer to is:

Is it better to grow less plants in bigger pots? And how does it affect yeild? If I plant 2 plants in the space for example.

Thanks again lovely people 😎

The answer to that is more complex than an either/or answer. Larger plants will give you a better yield per plant however not necessarily per space. However larger plants take longer to veg. If you change the light cycle to 12/12 while they are still pretty small, you might get an extra harvest in a 12 month period. Your grow skills and preferences will determine which is better for you.

I run 3 indoor crops a year. I run my 4th crop outside. I have a seedling tent, a veg tent and a flower tent and I don't wait until one run is done before I'm popping seeds for the next. I grow larger plants. If I didn't overlap the runs a bit, I'd likely only get to complete 2 indoor runs in a year ... and then the 3rd outdoors.

However, @growsince79 does his a bit differently. I think he comes really close to 4 complete grow cycles a year by flipping them small.

The_word

The_word

The answer to that is more complex than an either/or answer. Larger plants will give you a better yield per plant however not necessarily per space. However larger plants take longer to veg. If you change the light cycle to 12/12 while they are still pretty small, you might get an extra harvest in a 12 month period. Your grow skills and preferences will determine which is better for you.

I run 3 indoor crops a year. I run my 4th crop outside. I have a seedling tent, a veg tent and a flower tent and I don't wait until one run is done before I'm popping seeds for the next. I grow larger plants. If I didn't overlap the runs a bit, I'd likely only get to complete 2 indoor runs in a year ... and then the 3rd outdoors.

However, @growsince79 does his a bit differently. I think he comes really close to 4 complete grow cycles a year by flipping them small.
Aaahhhh ok so I get it more plants = less veg time to flip more rotations a year. Thank you! So in the space I have available what do you think is the best amount of plants to use? I was thinking that I could pot them in bigger pots to reduce the amount of weekly watering (to maybe once per week), will this help or would I just end up with a sea of Bush and have to water them at the same frequency? Thanks again dude, much appreciated

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Aaahhhh ok so I get it more plants = less veg time to flip more rotations a year. Thank you! So in the space I have available what do you think is the best amount of plants to use? I was thinking that I could pot them in bigger pots to reduce the amount of weekly watering (to maybe once per week), will this help or would I just end up with a sea of Bush and have to water them at the same frequency? Thanks again dude, much appreciated
You're better off starting them in small pots and then transplanting them as you move along. 1m x 1m is roughly equivalent to 3' x 3' right? With a final pot size of 3 gallon, you can put up to 4 plants in there but plan on switching to 12/12 when they are still very small ... like 1 foot tall.

or

If you do it my way, your 3 x 3 would have 1 plant. It would be in a 7 gallon pot and I wouldn't flip it until its 24" tall. It would completely fill the space but would be in veg for significantly longer.

The_word

The_word

Also 😁 I am growing for personal use and am not so concerned with maximum yeild, if I could do 3 good grows a year it would more than suffice. I am here to learn and try and improve my skills/experience/knowledge. Thanks for taking the time to help. Very much appreciated 😎👍

The_word

The_word

You're better off starting them in small pots and then transplanting them as you move along. 1m x 1m is roughly equivalent to 3' x 3' right? With a final pot size of 3 gallon, you can put up to 4 plants in there but plan on switching to 12/12 when they are still very small ... like 1 foot tall.

or

If you do it my way, your 3 x 3 would have 1 plant. It would be in a 7 gallon pot and I wouldn't flip it until its 24" tall. It would completely fill the space but would be in veg for significantly longer.
I started them in seedling trays then moved to 1l then finally into 11l (roughly 3 gallon) pots. The plants seemed to love it each time and thrived. I read up that my tent would take up to 4 plants in this size pot. I am wondering if I cut it to 3 plants with slightly bigger pots, would it decrease the amount of times I need to water them in a week?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I grow many lbs more weed than I can smoke in a years time so am absolutely not concerned about yield. I focus on quality and honing my skills I'm more addicted to the grow than I am to consuming it. All excess gets claimed by friends and family.

As a beginning grower, I would urge you NOT to consider SOG or Sea of Green. Done right, it takes clones and some people say you can grow 1 plant per square foot ... but you either need to be setup with a mother plant and a cloning area or have a source of clones to make this viable for you.

Instead, Scrog (Screen of Green) utilizes fewer plants and LST techniques and is perfect for a beginning grower.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Smaller pots will need watering more frequently. Larger pots, not as often. I like large pots. Others prefer smaller ones. The reasons why vary from one grower to the next. With proper watering practices, both can be used effectively.

Edit: You might be able to get four 5 gallon pots in your tent.

Last edited:
The_word

The_word

I grow many lbs more weed than I can smoke in a years time so am absolutely not concerned about yield. I focus on quality and honing my skills I'm more addicted to the grow than I am to consuming it. All excess gets claimed by friends and family.

As a beginning grower, I would urge you NOT to consider SOG or Sea of Green. Done right, it takes clones and some people say you can grow 1 plant per square foot ... but you either need to be setup with a mother plant and a cloning area or have a source of clones to make this viable for you.

Instead, Scrog (Screen of Green) utilizes fewer plants and LST techniques and is perfect for a beginning grower.
To be honest I have tried to follow what I know about plants and topped them fairly short ( around 2ft) then used LST to train them. I have since found out that it is called super cropping, trying to form an even canopy so there are multiple decent but sites. The plants are strong and there seems to be multiple bud sites progressing well and bushing up. I am really looking forward to the next grow to use lst with a bit more confidence. The girls seem to be happy and I am looking forward to the anxiety of the flowing stage next week 😬

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

To be honest I have tried to follow what I know about plants and topped them fairly short ( around 2ft) then used LST to train them. I have since found out that it is called super cropping, trying to form an even canopy so there are multiple decent but sites. The plants are strong and there seems to be multiple bud sites progressing well and bushing up. I am really looking forward to the next grow to use lst with a bit more confidence. The girls seem to be happy and I am looking forward to the anxiety of the flowing stage next week 😬
I'm a fan of super cropping. I super cropped like crazy in my greenhouse this year. If you got right up next to them, you would immediately notice that they should be about roof tall. None of my plants were topped. This picture is from a few hours ago.

Screenshot 20220815 181409

The_word

The_word

Smaller pots will need watering more frequently. Larger pots, not as often. I like large pots. Others prefer smaller ones. The reasons why vary from one grower to the next. With proper watering practices, both can be used effectively.

Edit: You might be able to get four 5 gallon pots in your tent.
Yeah I might try that and lst them so that they are short and bushy..... thanks for the ideas mate

The_word

The_word

I'm a fan of super cropping. I super cropped like crazy in my greenhouse this year. If you got right up next to them, you would immediately notice that they should be about roof tall. None of my plants were topped. This picture is from a few hours ago.

View attachment 1271614
Tbh I would leave the topping as well next time. I have a CBD plant which I have done nothing to and it is not much different to the others I have spent ages lsting. Next time I will definitely skip the topping unless it is necessary

The_word

The_word

View attachment 1271614
It seems like a really natural way of getting the best out of the plant. SOG and these types of methods seem a bit like the Matrix battery pods to me for some reason. No idea why but is what it is hahahahaha I think super cropping encourages a plant to produce more buds of her own accord, really satisfying

The_word

The_word

It seems like a really natural way of getting the best out of the plant. SOG and these types of methods seem a bit like the Matrix battery pods to me for some reason. No idea why but is what it is hahahahaha I think super cropping encourages a plant to produce more buds of her own accord, really satisfying

20220815 184727
20220815 184733
20220815 184723
growsince79

growsince79

I try to harvest 2 small plants every month out of my 2 x 4. Every month I plant 4-5 seeds or 2-3 fem seeds. I'm not going for big yields though. For yields sog wins hands down not even debatable.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I try to harvest 2 small plants every month out of my 2 x 4. Every month I plant 4-5 seeds or 2-3 fem seeds. I'm not going for big yields though. For yields sog wins hands down not even debatable.
SOG just isn't well suited for the beginning grower. In my eyes, it's more of an advanced technique that works best with clones, and done right will produce magnificently. I just wouldn't recommend a brand new grower pursuing SOG. SCROG is better suited for a beginner.

The_word

The_word

Update: took some of your advice and have pruned/ defoliated the ladies. Switched to flowering today 🤞🤞🤞🤞

20220821 113428
20220821 115615
20220821 120547
20220821 122640
20220821 123129
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I don't think sog is possible without a mother plants. Sog is cuts flowered immediately after roots emerge and the cuts are also taken uniformly so more mother plants needed. I grew sog ebb and flow and 1 mother wasn't enough to get similiar sized clones . I have never grown in a tent but I would assume you would want the same strain so it's relatively uniform so plants dont shade each other,and grow the same.

Top Bottom