So You Think You Want To Move To Alaska?

• Thread starter ArcticOrange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Hello fellow AK growers and growers around the world. I have recently seen an increased interest in the great state in which I reside and would like to start a thread about the struggles of living and growing in Alaska. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Electric costs: One of the many costs of production in cannabis cultivation is power. Here in Alaska we pay a monopoly over .20 per kilowatt hour. Even for a small scale grow electrical costs can be astronomical!

Water: Many of you know the stories of the gold rush that came through Alaska. Part of the old school mining styles required the use of arsenic to seperate gold from other rocks and soils. This arsenic has leached into the ground water and is unfit for human use. Many areas around alaska you have to haul water to your property that is purchased from a well source. This is again much more expensive than paying for city water and the quality is not that great.

Temperature: out temperatures range from 100 in the summer to -60 in the winter. Yes. -60. You ever tried to take a pee at -60. Enough said.

Land: sure you think that alaska has all this wonderful land, and that's kind of true, however we have ice layers that freeze and thaw each year which case the land to heave up and down ripping apart your concrete foundations and non floating windows. Seriously I've seen windows shatter due to this.

More to come. Like I said I just want people to have realistic expectations, this isn't summer camp.

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Wildlife: the wildlife in Alaska is definitely some of the most majestic and pristine of them all. That being said it is also some of the most dangerous. Moose attacks and collisions with vehicles are both common. Moose are big. Bigger than your horse, or your deer, whatever cute things you have around a moose is bigger and dumber and meaner than it is. Trust me I've seen them rush at cars when they're pissed. I got pushed across 4 lanes of traffic when a moose rammed my 4runner. Grizzly bear attacks are less common but do happen, black bear attacks happen slightly more frequently. Wolves do not attack people but there is nothing scarier to me than finding a wolf while I'm out walking.

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Ice: "we come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow"

Zeppelin had it right. "On we sweep with threshing oar, our only goal is the western shore"

When you've had 6 months of dark and cold weather your only goal is an ocean shore!

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

Wildlife: the wildlife in Alaska is definitely some of the most majestic and pristine of them all. That being said it is also some of the most dangerous. Moose attacks and collisions with vehicles are both common. Moose are big. Bigger than your horse, or your deer, whatever cute things you have around a moose is bigger and dumber and meaner than it is. Trust me I've seen them rush at cars when they're pissed. I got pushed across 4 lanes of traffic when a moose rammed my 4runner. Grizzly bear attacks are less common but do happen, black bear attacks happen slightly more frequently. Wolves do not attack people but there is nothing scarier to me than finding a wolf while I'm out walking.
our water buffs would give the moose a run for it money lol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think I've posted this before but the optimists call it the land of the midnight sun, this is due to the hours of sunlight in the summer. However in the winter it's the land of the setting sunrise.
That right there is why this tropical gal couldn't do it. Between the sun never going down in summer and never coming up in winter, I would lose my GOURD.

So, no. I don't think I could live in Alaska. Even if the climate changed enough to make it tropical, I need light to see and dark to sleep.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

I'd be willing to try
my other half on the other hand absolutely would not
That being said, vacations there are in the plans
My birthday is right around summer solstice and I've always wanted to go and party it up
Where's a good place to rent a four wheeler in Fairbanks?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I would have given it a run 25 years ago. But at my age I dont think I could handle it. Much respect for anyone that can survive up there......... Now lets grab our butter knives and do some gandy dancin. Dont forget the skeeter dope either...... Couldnt resit :D

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
We out number women 2-1 up here so bring one with you if you do come.
Well when I come to visit you this is who Im bringing

1-jpg.559781

Top Bottom