Sog Vs Larger Plants

• Thread starter CaptChronic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CaptChronic

CaptChronic

just looking for some input in SOG vs larger plants in say 30 gallon smart pots. Right now I am thinking of using beds; a 7 x 60 bed in SOG, however I was wondering what everyones input would be as to whether to go with the smart pots. Would 20-25 30 gallon smartpots along the same space (7 x 60) produce more, less or about the same as the SOG set up? OH and I almost forgot this will all be grown light dep

Last edited:
CaptChronic

CaptChronic

Strains, veg time, veg space, plant count, gh height all need to be considered if their was a "best way" we would all be doing the same exact thing ya know.

..I understand those are all variables, but with all else being equal in each situation; same strain, i suppose longer veg for the potted plants as opposed to the SOG. As I stated above I was thinking 25 planted pots.

CaptChronic

CaptChronic

Strains, veg time, veg space, plant count, gh height all need to be considered if their was a "best way" we would all be doing the same exact thing ya know.

That leads me to another question; in the SOG is the plant count as important as just filling the canopy? Lets say im growing in a 4x4 area, theoretically I could fill that area with 4, 6, 8..whatever number of plants and then according to how many plants i put in, vary the veg time. More plants in the area, less veg time...less plants, longer veg time in order to fill the 4x4 canopy..correct?

The Terps

The Terps

Ya just fill the space over crowed can cause problems with mold and other issues like light penetration bud swellage ect but under planting could leave you wanting more. If you over over plant you could always pull plants out though

Geopv916

Geopv916

Because of code enforcement making me tear down two old trailers that where here before I got my property. My vegg room got taken down. So I decided to to a sog grow, I made the mistake of going soil in 1 gallon pots. The mistake being soil is so much more time consuming than hydro. I'm 2 weeks away from harvesting but the more I read about the forum cut and the more I see it growing with my own two eyes I'm happy I did the sog. She is a prude little plant who doesn't yield much even when bushes. So instead I have 45 little gsc growing an nice cola perfectly spaced to the point light penetration all the way down to the bottom cola and they are super sticky. And dense extremely. I'll let you know how the harvest goes but I'd be happy with a qp to hp.

Geopv916

Geopv916

IMG 1590
IMG 1595

IMG 1591
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I went with 2 bigger plants set up like a Manora in large 20 lt pots in rear and 2 smaller plants in 7 lt pots set up super crop style in in a 3x 3"x6" tent with 600 hps over the top , I'm interested in doing a SOG in my other 3x3 tent .

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You know, with the caveat of light dep I'm really not sure which may be better here. For indoors I definitely prefer SOG, I'll put 16 single-cola trained girls under each 600W light. In large part because of light spread, and my inability to handle pots larger than 3gals. I always did it in coco coir specifically because you can achieve hydroponic growth rates, too, as @Geopv916 mentions, soil just isn't appropriate in that context in my opinion.

But, you said light deprivation, so that really changes things up. I'm going to assume you have the sun as your driver, and so in that case you don't have the concerns we do when growing indoors, namely the cost of powering the thing. So... it seems to me that IF you can physically handle larger plants, that would be the better direction to head in. You may still need to control vertical growth, but unless you're dealing with a shaded area, that won't come at the cost of light penetration.

Make sense? I'd go with fewer & bigger in this scenario, but indoors I do smaller and more. Errr.. did.

markesparza1

markesparza1

I'm trying a SOG this time around last harvest I did 15 plants in 5 gallon pots about a 2 month veg this time I'm doing 27 plants in 3 gallons so far I'm liking this method just waiting to see on the yeild only about 2 weeks in

markesparza1

markesparza1

Yea your right about that but they were only toped once and the pots are literally touching there packed in there got a nice 8 inch canopy nothing but top colas
I just started growing about 8 months ago ow do you get one cola ? I got a aero 18 and flower them at about 10 in with no topping no training just letting them grow verticals but I still got side branching from the bottom that came up would it still be considered a single cola plant

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I have a 2x2 tent

I could do sog and fill my tent with cola's. (9) 1 gallon pots

I could use a net and fill my tent with cola's. With (9) 1 gallon pots, (5) 2 gal pots, (4) 3 gallon pots, (2) 5 gal pots, or (1) 10 gallon pot.

I could mainline and fill my tent with cola's. With (9) 1 gallon pots, (5) 2 gal pots, (4) 3 gallon pots, (2) 5 gal pots, or (1) 10 gallon pot.

Basically you can fill your tent with any of those training techniques.

They all just have slight variations.

My current round I'm running 1 beast in a 10 gallon pot. It has 57 main branches/tops (I counted).
Downloadfile 1

Downloadfile

Some people make the concept of training sound tough.

Just visualize a mental image at the start of your grow of what you want your plant to look like. Then as they grow in shape, bend, top them the way you want them.

The options are endless.
The only limitation is your imagination.

kaydeeze

kaydeeze

I have a 2x2 tent

I could do sog and fill my tent with cola's. (9) 1 gallon pots

I could use a net and fill my tent with cola's. With (9) 1 gallon pots, (5) 2 gal pots, (4) 3 gallon pots, (2) 5 gal pots, or (1) 10 gallon pot.

I could mainline and fill my tent with cola's. With (9) 1 gallon pots, (5) 2 gal pots, (4) 3 gallon pots, (2) 5 gal pots, or (1) 10 gallon pot.

Basically you can fill your tent with any of those training techniques.

They all just have slight variations.

My current round I'm running 1 beast in a 10 gallon pot. It has 57 main branches/tops (I counted).
View attachment 660196
View attachment 660199

Some people make the concept of training sound tough.

Just visualize a mental image at the start of your grow of what you want your plant to look like. Then as they grow in shape, bend, top them the way you want them.

The options are endless.
The only limitation is your imagination.
Hi, super grow Bro!
I'm just curious ' do you use soil or coco?
What feeding scedual and nutes do you feed you girls?
Im just in the middle of harvesting 3 bluedream fems I've had in a 2x2x6 with a 400watt led for veg and then I fliped to a 400hps.
Think I will yield 10zip when it's all done' but I'm curious also about possibly doing 9 indica dom fems in 8"pots filled with 70%coco&30%perlite under a 400mh for veg and then 400hps for flower.
I'm thinking would I yield more or the same as doing 3 plants in 3gal pots' or 9 plants in 2gal pots?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hi, super grow Bro!
I'm just curious ' do you use soil or coco?
What feeding scedual and nutes do you feed you girls?
Im just in the middle of harvesting 3 bluedream fems I've had in a 2x2x6 with a 400watt led for veg and then I fliped to a 400hps.
Think I will yield 10zip when it's all done' but I'm curious also about possibly doing 9 indica dom fems in 8"pots filled with 70%coco&30%perlite under a 400mh for veg and then 400hps for flower.
I'm thinking would I yield more or the same as doing 3 plants in 3gal pots' or 9 plants in 2gal pots?

I use roots organic potting soil.
The way I fill the pots with roots by the time flower hits they dry out every 1-2 days.

If I used coco it would make the dry cycle too short for my taste.

I'm using the earth juice advanced plus chart.
Screenshot 20160317 003719

This round I have fed every single time except for 1 water only feed last week just for good measure. Most grows I do feed, water, feed,water etc.

The way I've been looking at guesstimating yield lately is by total soil capacity in the tent.
I figure the more soil I can squeeze in. The more my potential yield goes up.

So use whatever setup that allows you the largest soil capacity. Then train the crap out of those plants and you'll yield good.

It just seems soil capacity has been my limiting factor on end yield each grow. As I increased it over time my yield has also followed the upward trend.

You got any pics of your ladies?
We all love pictures :)

Top Bottom