Soil Mites? Benificial? Root Aphids ??

• Thread starter Smoke2much4
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoke2much4

Smoke2much4

Ok so i know this will be alot to read but bare with me, also I know these videos are shit , and HORRIBLE but there zoomed in and blurry as hell there just the best I could get of this thing within the last week or 2 weeks since first seeing them I look everyday and can't find one most day even looking at 10 or more plants roots finally found another 1 today and this is the best shot I can get of the little bastards once again I know these are horrible videos and probably won't be able to identify it but what do you guys think it could be root aphid , russet , bulb mite, beneficial soil mite , ect.. I first seen it around 2 weeks ago and there not multiplying very fast because I can't ever find them looking every single day for a hour minimum at different plants root systems t hete hard to see being close to microscopic but I can see it with the naked eye very hard tho , I have been scoping leave after leave on every plant I have and no mites or really not even any damage to any plants but it's been bugging me I wish I could get a clear magnified shot of one of these but close to impossible so far , thanks in advanced I know I'll probably get mixed answered but thanks anyways

Smoke2much4

Smoke2much4

Here is a way better video help if yoy can i appreciate it!

Smoke2much4

Smoke2much4

I'm in pro mix soiless so it's weird to me that these just popped up because I'm not fully organic I use a couple organic products but for the most part it's not organic ..

Dunge

Dunge

I am always suspicious of a H miles identification unless they were specifically introduced.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

A few yrs back, a REP from fox farm at a grownshow admidted THEY purposely put in HM to combat the fungus gnats issue that is present in most of their bags of soil.

I freaked the F out when I 1st saw one 3 yrs ago crawling on the bottom of my pot. I killed everything, bennies in medium and all.

As long as theirs no spots, it's a HM . Spots = spider mites.

Smoke2much4

Smoke2much4

A few yrs back, a REP from fox farm at a grownshow admidted THEY purposely put in HM to combat the fungus gnats issue that is present in most of their bags of soil.

I freaked the F out when I 1st saw one 3 yrs ago crawling on the bottom of my pot. I killed everything, bennies in medium and all.

Thanks a lot for the feedback .. my only issue with that is that I'm in promix soiless I could understand in a organic soil for them to come but in a soiless do you think it's possible they came in promix? .. also I have a lot of spiders in this building so they possibly could have came in from somewhere but i would think unlikely that i just gor lucky that they came in from outside theres woods behind my building why would they just stay there yanno

Smoke2much4

Smoke2much4

Also is it not a root aphid?? I kind see them 2 spikes on its back end but it could be hair on the mite

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Possibly a thrips or a fungus gnat. I haven't encountered too many bugs. I just use promis for the first 3 waterings of any new soil. Gets rid of anything like that. Minus mites and the usual.hard to get rid of bug.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

Do the crawling bugs have two little 'tailpipes'? Are they a slightly reddish / slightly greenish in color?

Organikz

Organikz

If you have to stare to see it stop it's a good bug. If you have to stare to see it move it's bad. Any fast moving soil bug is predatory.

Organikz

Organikz

They could be breaking down and eating fungi or algae and decomposing things tho right?
Yes h. Miles feed on decomposing matter as well. I just actually watched the second video. That is a soil mite. He eats organic matter. Peat moss takes a while to break down without worms however it is organic matter.

My compost pile is loaded with them.

Top Bottom