Soil mites...I think

• Thread starter Jimikabk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimikabk

Jimikabk

There is so much info on spider mites and russet mites out there but no one seems to talk about any other kind. Which is weird to me bc there are so many kinds of mites crawling around the grow. I kno some mites are actually good for the soil and I wish I could find more info on them bc I obv wouldn’t want to kill off something that’s trying to help me.

I have a breed of mite that’s reddish in color although I think I saw a white one this morn. Pretty certain I have some sort of orabitid mite. They don’t seem to b interested in the leaves or any part of plants above the soil line. Under the soil I can only speculate which is what concerns me. I see them primarily rite after I water but I think their numbers are undoubtedly increasing. Plants don’t seem to b bothered but the more I see em the more they bother me. They r fast little buggers, zipping around rite after I water.

Organic indoor grow. I am using a soil recipe of FF ocean, neem seed meal, guano, earthworm castings, mycorrhizae (Azos n mykos), etc. I thought the neem seed meal might deter them but they seem to have moved rite in and unnaffected. I use compost teas and ph’d ro h20. I obv don’t want to kill any of my bennies by using anything non org. I’ve heard of using predator nematodes but not sure what kind I should b using. I have a handful of nightcrawlers in each planter as well so I don’t want to use anything that might hurt them either. Plants r very healthy and vigorous but I hate seeing so many of these mites every time I water. Idont Seem to have any other pest prob (fingers x’d) rite now but I like to err on the side of prevention rather than battle.

A few things I’m thinking of trying are Dr Zymes Eliminator, predator nematodes (not sure which tho could b effective), sulfur (was thinking of creating a slurry and then diluting and top pouring onto soil).
I also read a thread here about using melon rind and then possibly a tobacco soak w some other additions but it’s an old thread and it never finished with the results.
Has anyone had any lasting success with any of these?

Jimikabk

Jimikabk

Hey all,

thanks for the reply’s.

Distydemon: how can u tell that “they r NOT hypoaspis miles for sure”? As I’ve done vid and pic research they r actually looking like the closest thing I’ve seen to what I have. I have never heard of them before ur thread. Is there some way u can tell from my vid that they are NOT that I’m not seeing?

The rrock:
In regards to damage done. There is none. I’m about to transplant into this soil which has these critters. The soil in the containers I’m about to move the plants into I have been cultivating for a few weeks. So it’s curious to me because they r not feeding on roots or any plant matter because there’s no plant in these container yet. I’ve been thinking that they must b eating compost and decaying organics.

Albeit, the plants I’m about to move into these containers have the same mites just not as crazy an infestation. In regards to damage done on the plants, there isn’t any. Growing from seed, they are vigorous and robust. No probs at all. No nutrient deficiencies or weakness at all...lol...yet, but they r coming up fast. These bugs r uninterested in stalks, internodes or leaves. Lol. Still I worry.

Beachwalker: thanks for the heads up. I will reach out.

I will take more vids and pics and post them as well. Thanks again!

Seraphine

Seraphine

Soil mite. It’s hard to identify which one exactly but they feed on organic matter. The only drawback to growing organic indoors...you have to deal with critters sometimes. the only way to get rid of them will also get rid of all the beneficial organisms. You’d be better off to make your peace with them or get a couple sticky traps, those might work.

also, it’s not unheard of for fox farms to put beneficials in their soil to combat fungus gnats and other pests.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I was also leaning towards hypoaspis miles. Sometimes they can change color depending on diet. So they may appear darker in color if their food source is darker.

Jimikabk

Jimikabk

Soil mite. It’s hard to identify which one exactly but they feed on organic matter. The only drawback to growing organic indoors...you have to deal with critters sometimes. the only way to get rid of them will also get rid of all the beneficial organisms. You’d be better off to make your peace with them or get a couple sticky traps, those might work.

also, it’s not unheard of for fox farms to put beneficial in their soil to combat fungus gnats and other pests.
I should add that soil mites feed on dead, decaying organic matter, which your soil has a lot of so they are probably very happy there.

Hey now!
Thank u for all that great info! I’m happy to leave em and let em b part o the organi-grow as long as they are not gonna feast on my plants. That puts me at ease. Ive been putting in the hours thinking about this.

I’ve been cultivating the soil in these containers for a few weeks getting my plants new home ready. Then just before I moved them into their new digs I got worried. I was getting ready to do something drastic and I’m glad I did not.

I had also just read that about fox farms (mins ago) putting bennies into their soil so I thought that could also be the root of this critter existence for me.

thanks again..

Schnauzer

Schnauzer

also, it’s not unheard of for fox farms to put beneficials in their soil to combat fungus gnats and other pests.
This is very true. Hypoasis! I panicked first time I saw them.... they definitely aren’t red

Latest posts

Top Bottom