Soil Ph

• Thread starter Noname14
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Noname14

Hello every one i want to ask about soil ph.i was watering plant with 5.5 ph in water after watering is still show me 7 ph in soil. Can some one give me a advice how i can knock it dont till 6. Should i make lower ph in water or add some stuff to soil. ?? Or soil ph is dont meter ?

Thank you

Madmax

Madmax

I use peat moss in 5ltr bag to holes i dug.it does help reduce ph and add retention to soil.
I used a handful powdered sulphur aswell..my ph is 6.6..

Are you outdoors

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If there is no problem with the plants then I would ignore the ph of the runoff unless it’s way out of range. The lime in the soil raises the ph back up automatically. If you see real low ph in mucky yellow or brown looking runoff I would worry more.

Ph in soil does not stay stable. It moves throughout the range at the root zone. As they eat it raises and when fertilized it lowers.

If there are problems actually due to too much lime some o the above suggestions may help.

I always mix my soil up and break up clumps and then test it’s runoff about a week later before using to see if the bag is over limed. This caution is on the pro mix website.

And I never adjust ph of my well water. It shows 8.0 ph out of the tap but with only 100ppm of mineral content. It’s about the alkalinity not the ph.

Homesteader

Homesteader

But now i have soil in my pots how can i addit like mix in ???
I would just scratch the peat into the top if you do need to lower the pH but don't worry about mixing it completely. Once watered in a few times, it will begin to acidify the mix. You should find a better way to check your pH though. Checking runoff isn't the most accurate way at all. Soil pens or simple meters are fairly cheap and will get you into range much better. When checking you want to check several areas and then average it out.

Last edited:
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I’m not sure he is measuring runoff.

A slurry test is a great way of testing the soils ph. Or a decent soil ph meter like the one by blue labs is worth it’s weight in gold.

A slurry test can be done with any liquid ph measuring device. Do a search for it if you don’t know how it’s done.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree the best way to Check ph is the slurry test. Just like the best way to know nutrient content is a true soil test.

But measuring runoff consistently shows trends over time and is an excellent way to monitor things like ph and ppm. Also it’s color consistency and smell are very informative.

Also phing is a hydro technique. It is not needed in lime buffered soil with most any decent tap water and professional greenhouse food and flower producers mix hard water with RO to about 150ppm total mineral content and usually would not add acid or calcium to the source water. It would change the medium ph over time.

When I learned about water alkalinity and stopped adding acid most of the yellowing and lockouts stopped in my garden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom