Soil Questions - can you re-use?

• Thread starter Otto Bonn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

I could use some advice on soil, I use Fox Farm for the most part. I've read a couple places that you should not re-use soil after a grow but me being frugal I wanted to test that theory. I have a hard time believing that soil outdoors and inside my tent are that different. (I certainly don't dig out the soil on my tomato plants and discard). Do outdoor cannabis growers discard soil from their beds? I doubt it......
I'm not arguing I'm right but just questioning and could use some opinions.
With this in mind I mixed my old soil with fresh (maybe 50/50) and I've also started to use Myco+ for root health and will see how it does. What is the concern with re-use? salt build up can be addressed with flushing before re-use and root inoculant and nutes take care of the rest, am I missing something?
Secondly, Can (or should) I also use molasses with Myco+? I understand Myco+ is primarily for Veg growth and molasses s predominantly used in flower. Are there any issues with using both?

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I always reused my soil.
In organics is a must. With salts its just cheaper re use it.....always try to make at least 3 run just to make up with the expenses...
I honestly think that the monouse soil style has been promoted for lazyness and marketing...to sell more
yes....with time some problems can come up like ph unbalances and buildups/lockout but nothing that cannot be easly solved...
Just take care of your soil, flush a little before cut if you think you may overfert otherwise dont bother.... and make sure you store it very dry to avoid molds and then remember to rehydrate it BEFORE transplanting in it again....
ACTs and LABs help a lot to keep it right as rain! 🍰
U can use molasses whenever u want.....but IMO better in early stages and just sporadically to boost the soil life...
Focus more on making quality ACT more than buyn myco inoculants....
Mycorrizae have hard time survive in soil ridden with P or ultra dry / with no roots, plus most of the inoculant around are expired or not refrigerated....def not worth the money....
A good bacteria biome is very easy to keep always thriving indoor, cheap to make, effective in desease prevention...

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

I reuse all my old dirt. Mix in some compost and more aeration, and after a few years some more coco or peat to help with soil texture. You just need to re amend the dirt and i would use some lime to stabilize the PH. Old dirt works great for seedlings too.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

A basic recipe to keep in mind, 30% coco/peat 30% compost and 30% aeration pearlite or otherwise

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

The main issue with re-use is you can never be sure what's in the old soil. It needs to be leached (run some water through it and let it drain out.

You will probably want to add some dolomitic limestone (lime with Mg) and other amendments/nutes to the mix, but check the pH and EC of a soil slurry so you don't produce an overly hot, out-of-balance soil.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Easy to reuse soil with organics, the microbes will break down the roots into more food, some worms will help with that. Idk how to do with synthetics but I am sure their is a way.

Top Bottom