Soil vs hydro for my needs

• Thread starter plant based
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

plant based

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but not new to growing. I have grown in the past using a 400w HPS and soil. Pressed for time, I harvested early and got only a measly 3 oz of fluffy/not condensed buds. They weren't too potent either.

I have since sold that setup and want to get something bigger and better. I have been aware about the benefits of Hydro as far as efficiency and time is concerned. I also know that soil grown buds taste better and are healthier. I'm not sure about the yield comparison.

I'd like to know from the more experienced growers, who could offer me their suggestions. Here are my concerns:

1. Time - I could either do a hydroponic setup and schedule my vacations around growing... but this means I can't continually rotate clones/veg/flower. Or I can grow in soil, but it takes longer to grow. With soil I may be able to buy a watering system so I can go on vacations and not worry about the plants drying up or the roots rotting/burning.
2. Dedication - I know there are different types of hydro setups, and some require more work than others. But overall, which is the best (subjective) way?
3. Yield - I'm not sure which setup results in more yield. I'm leaning toward hydro.

Thanks in advance!

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hey everyone, I'm new here, but not new to growing. I have grown in the past using a 400w HPS and soil. Pressed for time, I harvested early and got only a measly 3 oz of fluffy/not condensed buds. They weren't too potent either.

I have since sold that setup and want to get something bigger and better. I have been aware about the benefits of Hydro as far as efficiency and time is concerned. I also know that soil grown buds taste better and are healthier. I'm not sure about the yield comparison.

I'd like to know from the more experienced growers, who could offer me their suggestions. Here are my concerns:

1. Time - I could either do a hydroponic setup and schedule my vacations around growing... but this means I can't continually rotate clones/veg/flower. Or I can grow in soil, but it takes longer to grow. With soil I may be able to buy a watering system so I can go on vacations and not worry about the plants drying up or the roots rotting/burning.
2. Dedication - I know there are different types of hydro setups, and some require more work than others. But overall, which is the best (subjective) way?
3. Yield - I'm not sure which setup results in more yield. I'm leaning toward hydro.

Thanks in advance!
i think you should use soil,but honestly with your life style and on time clocks probally be better to just buy the stuff,no smart assing you here,stating facts,hydro soiless or soil the plant does it thing and dont live on a time clock,hydro you have all control ,take its reg elements away and it done,drip system for soil same thing,plants dont know what wheened means,and if it is feed on a maintence type schedule vs feed when they need ,problem arrive in both setups if you dig,so answer is controled without any mishaps hydro,control at the plants needs soil

P

plant based

I'm gonna use soil like you said. It may take longer but less of a chance of things screwing up if the power goes out or I forget to change the water. Taking a break till Christmas, then I'm indulging on my own. Gonna have some leftover for friends ;-)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm gonna use soil like you said. It may take longer but less of a chance of things screwing up if the power goes out or I forget to change the water. Taking a break till Christmas, then I'm indulging on my own. Gonna have some leftover for friends ;-)
wise choice

Top Bottom