Soiled Dried Out, Only Top 1" Is Getting Wet Help

• Thread starter Oddone13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Oddone13

So over the holidays I left to see family and came home to very dry plants. Figured this wasn't a huge deal and only needed give them a regular watering. I go to give it a finger test after the watering to make sure it was soaked and I find out that only the top inch seems wet. I poke a pencil down to check and I was right, dry it seems all the way down. I'm using happy frog soil. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Monster762

Monster762

What kind of pot you in? How big is plant and all? There’s couple options. Are you near ready for transplant?
You can water from bottom up too just sit her in a tub or something with water.and leave her for half hour or so.
Don’t go hotter on water hoping it penetrates better. Sometimes it can take some time to get the water to take again. Depends how dry.

O

Oddone13

Drench in feed water to re-hydrate your medium.
Already tried to give it a good watering. Only top inch got wet nothing else. Looks like it ran out the sides or something

What kind of pot you in? How big is plant and all? There’s couple options. Are you near ready for transplant?
You can water from bottom up too just sit her in a tub or something with water.and leave her for half hour or so.
Don’t go hotter on water hoping it penetrates better. Sometimes it can take some time to get the water to take again. Depends how dry.
I'm in a 5 gallon pot and didn't plan to transplant again. I was about to flip to flower but want to correct this issue first. 9 plants total averaging 16-18inches. Too big to sit in anything unfortunately

chemistry

chemistry

Already tried to give it a good watering. Only top inch got wet nothing else. Looks like it ran out the sides or something

I'm in a 5 gallon pot and didn't plan to transplant again. I was about to flip to flower but want to correct this issue first. 9 plants total averaging 16-18inches. Too big to sit in anything unfortunately

You need to water more often so that there is some thing running through your medium to keep it moist, your roots can't pick up nuits if the soii is dry. Soak your pot in an inch of water so your pot can suck it up. Take note of the weight before and after, that way you can pick up your pot and know how much water you need in future.

Monster762

Monster762

You need to water more often so that there is some thing running through your medium to keep it moist, your roots can't pick up nuits if the soii is dry. Soak your pot in an inch of water so your pot can suck it up. Take note of the weight before and after, that way you can pick up your pot and know how much water you need in future.
I think they can’t set the pot in anything. Might have to do like I do n drown it over n over n over n get the wetvac ready.

Nah seriously it’ll be time consuming but water the top a little. Wait half hour do it again. After you do this 5-6 times it should start penetrating by the stalk.
Wait up What kinda pot you in ? I know 5 gal Material? Is this a semi soft sided pot?

madgrower

madgrower

I jam this in the pots to water them. Works great
Drench in feed water to re-hydrate your medium.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Rake the top 1-1/2 of top soil so nutrients can penetrate to the dry lower soil. Make sure when you rake the soil you get it to fill the outer perimeter of the pot where the soil comes to it.

Monster762

Monster762

Rake the top 1-1/2 of top soil so nutrients can penetrate to the dry lower soil. Make sure when you rake the soil you get it to fill the outer perimeter of the pot where the soil comes to it.
Yeah I wAs wondering cause if it’s not a ceramic pot just push sides while watering. Couple times.

3 balls

3 balls

So over the holidays I left to see family and came home to very dry plants. Figured this wasn't a huge deal and only needed give them a regular watering. I go to give it a finger test after the watering to make sure it was soaked and I find out that only the top inch seems wet. I poke a pencil down to check and I was right, dry it seems all the way down. I'm using happy frog soil. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I understand you're in Happy Frog but reading your post reminded me of Promix. If it dried out it would crust over and no matter how much you watered it wouldn't penetrate. You might try watering, let it soak 15 min come back repeat, repeat until full saturation. Kind of a pain but that's how I always water/feed now, start at one end of the room and rotate around 3,4 trips.

Top Bottom